Salary Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary Needed

Can I live on 65000 a year on Kona? I am single and would like to buy a home.

Re: Salary Needed

That would be tight if you expect to own a home without a significant other bringin home the bacon also.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by kll1604
      Can I live on 65000 a year on Kona? I am single and would like to buy a home.

Just wait 2 to 5 years. The big island economy is already slowing down. The housing market is going to have a hard landing correction. Median home prices will once again drop to 4 to 6 times annual household incomes meaning that you will easily be able to purchase a townhome as a single income earner.

Just save your down payment, be patient and let the correction take place.

Comment

Even on more than $65,000 a year, it would be kind of hard to live "on" Kona

(sorry, I just couldn't resist)
        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

"Big Island economy slowing down " hmmm not according to Professor Laney :

PBN article

"Anyone who is still waiting for the bursting of a real estate bubble may be missing what really threatens Hawaii's economy -- lack of skilled workers to fill vacancies.

"Some estimates indicate that the Kohala Coast hotels have vacancies for almost 1,000 workers," Laney said. "When job growth does eventually run out of steam, it could be as much because the island is running out of workers as it is because the economy is slowing."

It's not just hotels on one side of the island. "Employers everywhere on the Big Island are having trouble finding employees," Laney said."
          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
            "Big Island economy slowing down " hmmm not according to Professor Laney :

PBN article

"Anyone who is still waiting for the bursting of a real estate bubble may be missing what really threatens Hawaii's economy -- lack of skilled workers to fill vacancies.

"Some estimates indicate that the Kohala Coast hotels have vacancies for almost 1,000 workers," Laney said. "When job growth does eventually run out of steam, it could be as much because the island is running out of workers as it is because the economy is slowing."

It's not just hotels on one side of the island. "Employers everywhere on the Big Island are having trouble finding employees," Laney said."
            Hundreds and hundreds of jobs that don't pay anywhere near a living wage.

Now that's a booming economy...

Comment

We got doctors leaving Big Island cuz of insurance laws and low payments.

We don't have enough qualified engineers and inspectors at the County.

We sure could use some decent politicians. Council members make $35k plus expenses and stuff.

Hard to find a machine shop with less than 6 week turn time.
              Same with a sandblast/powder coat company.

Takes days to get a decent welder out to the Harbor to work on a boat.

County advertises for "papered" positions all the time.

And Taco Bell is sometimes drive-thru only, and payin $10/hr now I've heard.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                Hundreds and hundreds of jobs that don't pay anywhere near a living wage.Now that's a booming economy...
                Yes I agree. Thats why we need to diversify our economy and attract
                living wage kind of jobs here. Our horrible business climate needs to be
                improved and we need to reduce the size of our government here to
                accomplish that.

It frankly irritates me that we haven't learned anything. We are still dependent
                on Real Estate,Construction, Military and Tourism. The last time the housing
                market choked, construction came to near standstill,the government re-zoned
                tons of land for the next land rush and claimed they didn't have enough money
                to build infrastructure. Will we ever learn..probably never...
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                  We got doctors leaving Big Island cuz of insurance laws and low payments.

We don't have enough qualified engineers and inspectors at the County.

We sure could use some decent politicians. Council members make $35k plus expenses and stuff.

Hard to find a machine shop with less than 6 week turn time.
                  Same with a sandblast/powder coat company.

Takes days to get a decent welder out to the Harbor to work on a boat.

County advertises for "papered" positions all the time.

And Taco Bell is sometimes drive-thru only, and payin $10/hr now I've heard.
                  So it would seem like a job-hunter's paradise, no? There certainly is no argument that there is a great need for skilled professionals in many fields here.

And from what I've seen in the healthcare field there are many who come here with the full expectation of making a great life here. These are heavy contributors to the quality of life in Hawaii. We're not talking about the "takers" that some on this forum regularly smack around.

But so often they pack up and leave within two years or less. Disillusioned and disheartened, they head back.

Now I know there are those here that would cheer that but the reasons they leave are very often the same reasons cited by local residents when heading for the mainland. More bang for your buck, better schools, more opportunities, more potential for a better standard of living, especially if you have kids in the picture.

Comment

Yes I agree. Thats why we need to diversify our economy and attract
                    living wage kind of jobs here. Our horrible business climate needs to be
                    improved and we need to reduce the size of our government here to
                    accomplish that.
                    Easy to say. Any ideas on just how to do that?

Comment

Folks comin to Hawaii who have no interest in the OCEAN are the one's who often leave.

I, myself, can no longer imagine a world without a warm, inviting, friendly ocean to play in, on, under, or nearby. If you love ocean sports, Hawaii Rules!

Yeah da people....
                      Yeah da aina.....
                      Yeah da laid back lifestyle....
                      Yeahda Yeahda Yeahda

It's the ocean for me. Let's go sailin !
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

It's not the ocean...it's the GRINDS!
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                          Easy to say. Any ideas on just how to do that?

Yes, I've got plenty of ideas. But I've already gone way off subject here
                          and I don't want "certain people" flame me for my ideas. If you'd like
                          to get a better grasp of my ideas, feel free to check out my blog.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Let me just add in if your salary is 65,000... your only gonna see about 48,000 of it maybe after everything is taken out. (I don't have the exact stats... but I'm basing that off an equivalence of what I would make if I earned 65,000.... (and I can't buy a house right now off my salary anywhere in Hawaii)
                            Last edited by damontucker; September 13, 2006, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Yes, I've got plenty of ideas. But I've already gone way off subject here
                              and I don't want "certain people" flame me for my ideas. If you'd like
                              to get a better grasp of my ideas, feel free to check out my blog.
                              The original post was rather limited on info:

>>Can I live on 65000 a year on Kona? I am single and would like to buy a home.<<

I would think you certainly could LIVE on 65K in Kona as a single person, although I may be grievously mistaken.

There is simply too little info provided here---are you coming with some money, perhaps enough for a down-payment on a home?

Do you have a job already, or are you just assuming that you will get a job that pays a wage similar to what you're getting at your present job?

I don't mean to be argumentative here...just need a bit of clarification.

And to KonaGuy....flames come with the territory....buck up....

Comment

Working...
                              X