Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would It Take For You To Stay Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would It Take For You To Stay Home?

Aloha all,

I have been reading many posts here and I am sincerely saddened by the many locals that are forced to leave their island home and relocate to the mainland because of financial reasons. Having to move from one of the most beautiful places on earth, and of course, family, must be heartbreaking, at least for many.

I was wondering what minimum salary for both a single individual and couple would be to keep locals at home, where many prefer to stay. Or, maybe housing costs are so obscene now that even a reasonable salary would not be enough for you to have much of a life in Hawaii. I admit I'm showing my ignorance, but I hope that some constructive ideas may come out of this.
    Last edited by TropicalTrumpet; May 21, 2006, 11:23 AM.

Re: What Would It Take For You To Stay Home?

If you rent and make less than $30,000/year you do get a tax credit from the State of Hawaii. I don't remember what it is since it's been a long time I quailify for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalTrumpet
      Aloha all,

I have been reading many posts here and I am sincerely saddened by the many locals that are forced to leave their island home and relocate to the mainland because of financial reasons. Having to move from one of the most beautiful places on earth, and of course, family, must be heartbreaking, at least for many.

I was wondering what minimum salary for both a single individual and couple would be to keep locals at home, where many prefer to stay. Or, maybe housing costs are so obscene now that even a reasonable salary would not be enough for you to have much of a life in Hawaii. I admit I'm showing my ignorance, but I am trying to understand and create dialog in hopes that some constructive ideas may come out of this.

I am a haole and I know some of you dislike me or even hate me just because of that. I guess there's nothing I can do about that. But I personally did nothing to you or your islands. I just wish you wouldn't group all haoles together as being "the enemy," as I have only kindness toward you. With any race or nationality, there are good people and not so good people. In my time on the islands, I personally have never heard any haole speak one bad word about the people of Hawaii. Actually, just the opposite. I personally have only experienced kindness.
      What is it that you want to discuss in this thread? The economics of being able to eek out a living in the isles, or racism?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
        What is it that you want to discuss in this thread? The economics of being able to eek out a living in the isles, or racism?
        I want to discuss what salary individual locals and married local couples need in order to remain in the islands instead of leaving for the mainland. I will delete my last thread paragraph as it apparently takes away from my question.

Comment

The answer would depend on the standard of living you'd require, and how much of you time you'd be willing to spend working. I'm sure you could live here on the minimum wage... if you'd be willing to have roomates and earn that minimum wage at three jobs.

Another big factor is your support system. Do you have family here for when times get tough, or are you on your own, one paycheck from the streets.

If you were coming here, sight unseen, and wanted to own your own place eventually (but would be willing to rent for the first few years)... and assuming you'd be content for under 1,000-square feet in at best a "mid-range" neighborhood... I'd guesstimate needing an income of $45,000 (and six-month's savings of $15,000 if you don't have the job or place lined up before you land) with benefits to "manage." Not live well, or even comfortably, but stably.

Any other rough figures? I survive thanks to family, so I can't be too exact.

Comment

Home is where the heart is.

I loved being from the Northwest being able to ski and snowboard, waterskiing in lakes, river-rafting in the rivers, etc...

I make far less here in Hawaii then what I could where I am from.

However, I take a hit financially, to be here in Hawaii where people on the mainland save a lifetime just to take a 1 week vacation.

I work a full time job with the state as well as a p/t gig... just to make ends meet. If I cut many of the things I choose to do, such as eat out every lunch and many dinners, quit spending so much money on bottled water, coffee and gatorade... then I think I would be a lot better off.

However, home is where the heart is... moving from the Northwest was a no-brainer at the time... so it took me the opportunity to have an education in Hawaii to leave Home...and nowI call Hawaii Home.
            Last edited by damontucker; May 21, 2006, 02:29 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I want to discuss what salary individual locals and married local couples need in order to remain in the islands instead of leaving for the mainland.
              Great question. Let me answer it this way:

For my household of five (hubby, me, three kids in public school):

aaahhhh....I am editing this buggah down to say that between a home, car payments, cellphones, cable, cutting coupons, having insurance to cover us, a little savings and retirement egg for the future, and being able to put our kids into sports and tutoring, $5-6K/month lends us a respectable working class life.
              Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; May 21, 2006, 04:26 PM.

pax

Comment

My wife and I just make it every month.

Luckily and by choice, the things that I enjoy in life during my off time are free or of minimal cost. Like hiking, swimming, sunsets, bike rides or long drives, sailing on a friend's sailboat and being near/with my Mom.

There's no place like home... there's no place like home...

We get by on less than $5,000 before taxes per month!
                Last edited by Menehune Man; May 21, 2006, 04:38 PM. Reason: Add income level.
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thank you all for your replies so far, but I'm asking what minimum salary would be needed for locals who are considering leaving Hawaii for the mainland because of financial reasons. For example, for those considering leaving their island home for the mainland because of lack of good paying jobs, what yearly salary would you need to consider staying home in the islands?

At the risk of being laughed off the forum, and I realize this may be a stupid idea, but an idea I had was for the government of Hawaii to allocate small lots of land throughout all the islands to be purchased at a reasonable price, solely by born and raised citizens of Hawaii to build small homes on. Or, maybe a new law could be passed whereby only people who have lived continuously in Hawaii for say five or more years would be allowed to purchase land and single family homes. This law would not include condominiums or townhouses.

I know these ideas are far-fetched, but I would like to hear your reasonable ideas to help keep local citizens from having to leave their island homes.
                  Last edited by TropicalTrumpet; May 21, 2006, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Thank you Pua'i Mana'o and Menehune Man. If I understand you correctly, a small family who is willing to live without a lot of frills and live modestly may need between 5k to 6K a month. I assume that's take home or between 60k to 72k a year. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but if I read and understand correctly, you might suggest that a local couple with a small family may need to bring in 30k to 36k each.

So, I'm making an assumption here, but if Hawaii had more jobs that offered a salary around 33k average or so, more locals would be able to stay on the islands if that's what they want to do.
                    Last edited by TropicalTrumpet; May 21, 2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Thank you Pua'i Mana'o and Menehune Man. If I understand you correctly, a small family who is willing to live without a lot of frills and live modestly may need between 5k to 6K a month. I assume that's take home or between 60k to 72k a year. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but if I read and understand correctly, you might suggest that a local couple with a small family may need to bring in 30k to 36k each.

So, I'm making an assumption here, but if Hawaii had more jobs that offered a salary around 33k average or so, more locals would be able to stay on the islands if that's what they want to do.
                      If Hawai'i had more jobs that paid NET wages such as this, sure. Also consider that my home is considerably older, and when I acquired my mortage, I got into the market that is no where near what it is today. Furthermore, while I have a good job, my husband has one f/t job and two p/t jobs so that we can live as we do; which is still paycheck to paycheck, taking into account that we do pay ourselves first. Ours is not typical, especially considering that we do not live in HNL.

Ask me how a couple in their early 30s or a single 20-something year old does it and I will shake my head, sad and clueless.

pax

Comment

$5000. a month is alot of money to spend each month...at least, for me! That is a fortune, that would last me about six months.

Will someone please break that down for me...I like see where it all goes.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                          $5000. a month is alot of money to spend each month...at least, for me! That is a fortune, that would last me about six months.

Will someone please break that down for me...I like see where it all goes.
                          hun when a
                          mortgage/rent can be anywhere from $900.00-2000.00 a month
                          car payment for a couple of cars$500-1000
                          insurance for both cars and hale$300-700
                          food
                          utilities
                          clothing
                          it adds up pretty quick
                          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

In Kona, there is one (1) ob/gyn. That would be a great career for a youngster to get into.
                            In Kona, there are no doctors who deliver babies by C-section anymore. That would be a great career for a youngster to get into.
                            In Kona, Veterinarians are scarce & expensive. And a furrier is near impossible.
                            In Kona, a licensed electrician (who knows what they are doing) is about $100/hour++.
                            An operator, with equipment, $175/hour. With 3 months waiting list.
                            In Kona, there are nearly 30 police officer openings.
                            In Kona, there are many, many teaching positions available.

If you are under the impression that it is tough to make a living in Hawaii, then you don't quite see the whole picture.

It is tough to make a living in Hawaii if you are scrambling at the bottom of the intelligence chain, or never got edumacated, or thought you were too cool for school. But the licensed, professional, vocational, educated, and motivated are sucking down gravy like Louis XVI.

And that's the greatest reason of all to do well in school, kiddies.
                            Last edited by timkona; May 22, 2006, 06:58 AM. Reason: add "motivated"
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Nice of you to take the time out of your busy schedule to lecture us about job openings, Tim, but I think maybe you, the real estate developer, who is more than likely making money hand over fist, are the one in need of an education. None of those jobs that you so helpfully listed pay anywhere near enough to make ends meet. On any island. Especially a single person and definitely not a one-income family. In case you're living under a rock over there in Kona, there is no affordable housing here on O'ahu. Nothing. We're struggling to keep what we have open, but in the meantime, there are people living with fifteen relatives in houses designed for five. It's a nightmare over here, and guess what? It ain't gonna get any better on the big island. It's getting worse all the time.

Are those people in overcrowded houses lazy? Poorly educated? Yeah, I dare you to tell a multi-generational Filipino/Hawaiian family that they're too dumb to look at the want ads. I dare you.

Typical.

Comment

Working...
                              X