Untold Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Untold Stories

Since I hold the dailies & weeklies to a higher standard than the talking heads, I'm starting this thread where we can post newsworthy stories that never made it to cellulose.

I also welcome professional pen wielders to respond as to whether a story was killed, buried or is flying under the radar.

This could get very interesting.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Re: Untold Stories

I wanted to get this started by pointing out that the Advertiser hasn't touched a story with roots in their own obits.

Tyrone Vesperas allegedly murders his own son and allegedly causes the death of the unborn child of his estranged wife and, it turns out, her boyfriend Guadalupe Erece Jr. Though some may dismiss this story for its base appeal, I would argue that it adds some perspective on why a "quiet, reserved man" would possibly commit such a heinous act.

I think we as media consumers deserve more than a blood 'n guts reconstruction of events (no disrespect to the deceased, bless their souls) and comments from neighbors. We want to know what factors in his life could lead a law-abiding Iraq war veteran to allegedly kill his own son and stab his wife with intent to kill.

Comment

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
      [...]...on why a "quiet, reserved man" would possibly commit such a heinous act.[...]We want to know what factors in his life could lead a law-abiding Iraq war veteran to allegedly kill his own son and stab his wife with intent to kill.
      PTSD, possibly? Dunno...just guessing. Regardless...such an incredibly sad story.

Comment

I don't know that an in-depth examination of motivations, etc. can be properly done in a newspaper format at this point in time. So much would just be speculation especially considering how fresh the events are. Perhaps the time to do it would be during and after the trial, if there is one.

Comment

Seems to me there are lots of "untouchables" in Hawaii that a true investigative reporter could have a field day with.

Various High School administrators.
          A prominent 'rancher' and landowner in Hamakua with deep political ties.
          Hawaii Council member.
          A couple of police officers. Has any reporter ever investigated the evidence room in either Kona or Hilo? Me thinks not.
          Not to mention all the villains/activists that run the Politics of NO.

Bad guys are everywhere in Hawaii because it is safe here. Folks from here tend to keep their mouths shut about the pilikia. Hey bra, no make huhu.

I learned a lot 3 years ago running for the council.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Since I hold the dailies & weeklies to a higher standard than the talking heads, I'm starting this thread where we can post newsworthy stories that never made it to cellulose.

I also welcome professional pen wielders to respond as to whether a story was killed, buried or is flying under the radar.

This could get very interesting.
            I do not want to discourage any of you from talking about this subject, but I cannot at all. How do I put this thread on ignore? Can someone pm me the answer, because I dont seem to find it in the menus, thanks.

pax

Comment

Here's a story that a couple of reporters got a start on - but there's got to be more:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...945630127.html

Comment

There's another somewhat powerful person in Hawaii who manages to avoid just about any kind of independent investigative reporting. His name is Dan Inouye. Remember him? Either he has the divine ethics of a Saint, which would be quite unusual for a U.S. Senator, or the newsrooms in Honolulu have given him a free pass. Why is that? Anyone? Anyone? Please elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by unidentifiedstar View Post
                  There's another somewhat powerful person in Hawaii who manages to avoid just about any kind of independent investigative reporting. His name is Dan Inouye. Remember him? Either he has the divine ethics of a Saint, which would be quite unusual for a U.S. Senator, or the newsrooms in Honolulu have given him a free pass. Why is that? Anyone? Anyone? Please elaborate.
                  while i can't answer your question directly or definitively, i will say this:

about seven years ago, i worked for solo practitioner whose first job was as then city prosecutor chuck marsland's "bag boy" (meaning, the jr prosecutor who got to carry marsland's briefcase and files whenever they went to court). since that job, this atty has become well-connected with many movers & shakers in this town.

anyway, one day, we were working on obtaining the liquor license for a certain bar that was to open in a certain neighborhood. one of the steps towards a bar obtaining its license is to notify all residents/property owners within a certain radius of the bar that it was applying for its license and to invite such residents to the hearing at the liquor commission to voice any concers or support. i noticed that a certain politician's name was in the list of owners and made a comment to my boss. he laughed and said, yeah, that's the place he bought for his mistress.

same atty is close friends with a federal judge who has trysts with his lover (not his wife) in chambers.

of course, i won't name names. then again, i got the sense from my former employer that many in this community know about the politician's and the judge's dalliances (this is, of course, a relatively small town) and everyone who does know looks the other way bcs so many people of influence have their own ghosts in the closet.

additionally, i'm not really all that sure this sort of thing is newsworthy, either. i mean, i was one of those who said, "so what?" to clinton's affair with monica and am, to this day, enraged that clinton was impeached when bush and cheney commit actual crimes against our nation and its people without any censure.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Well back in 69 when I was a cub scout, the above-mentioned politician's sister was our den mother. She had us in our cub scout uniforms canvassing the Waialae Nui valley neighborhood with campaign flyers to vote for Ahem for the State Legislature.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I'd like to know why Mayor Hanneman and HPD haven't been taken to task about the lack of crosswalk enforcement in Kalihi. Despite the fact that the majority of Oahu's pedestrian fatalities this year have occurred in the 96817 zip code, we see Segue-mounted 5-0 doing the human cattle drive in Downtown. And I've personally seen motorcycle officers staking out Bishop Square to hand out jaywalking citations. Whose brilliant idea was it to make a show of enforcement in a high-visibility area rather than the high-fatality area?

I have yet to see a single police officer staking out any of the intersections in Kalihi. But since I work in Kalihi, I've seen the numerous flower arrangements for the pedestrian fatalities here. Even back in '04 it was Kalihi leading the way in Oahu pedestrian fatalities. You'd expect that a mayor who grew up in Kalihi would have made more of an effort to make it a safer town for all.

Comment

Originally posted by unidentifiedstar View Post
                        Unidentifiedstar, you may want to check out "Land and Power in Hawaii." You'll get an idea as to how and why Inouye has reached untouchable status (except when it involves the police blotter).

Comment

I'd like to know why Mayor Hanneman and HPD haven't been taken to task about the lack of crosswalk enforcement in Kalihi. Despite the fact that the majority of Oahu's pedestrian fatalities this year have occurred in the 96817 zip code, we see Segue-mounted 5-0 doing the human cattle drive in Downtown.
                          Oh, probably the same reason the scamvans were located in low speed zones rather then where the pedestrian fatalities where. When was the last time you've heard of a pedestrian fatality by the Pali tunnels? Or Red Hill?

Follow the money. Or at the very least, where can they hand out the most citations in a hour so they look like they are doing something?

Comment

Dig more, please;

http://honoluluweekly.com/feature/20...ginal-gangsta/

Comment

The release of Ian Sample's "Once a Warrior" (and accompanying MySpace bonus material) reminded me that there are certain supressed subjects in Hawaii sports, according to a few past and present local sports writers.

One area is anything that is possibly illegal, unethical or unseemly regarding the UH football program that is not already "outed." Take for instance former UH Wahine volleyball All-American Lily Kahumoku's decision back in 2001 to sit out the season for "personal reasons."

Volleyball? Relevance right this way. UH social work professor Dr. Joel Fischer put forth in a letter to the Advertiser in 2004 that, among other deeds, UH football head coach June Jones had impregnated the school's star outside hitter. Ann Miller barely paid the rumor lip service in this interview of Kahumoku. What was most telling, however, was a conversation I had with the parent of UH football player. Not only did the parent confirm the rumor, but they also said that Kahumoku did indeed give birth on the Mainland and that Jones' car accident of Feb '01 was related to Jones' wife confronting him about his extramarital activities.

Another football-related nugget caught my attention back in the 90s: Why was it that St. Louis High School could turn out so many prep all-stars, yet many of their players failed to meet the minimum entrance requirements for the University of Hawaii? No one dared to even toss a peanut to that 900lb gorilla. And to think I almost went to school there!
                              Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; August 23, 2007, 03:26 AM. Reason: Sleepy & Sloppy

Comment

Working...
                              X