X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixedPlateBroker
    replied
    Re: Untold Stories

Hmmm. AT&T finally rolls out HSDPA (3.6Mbps wireless Internet) in Hawaii (at least here in 96816) and not a peep? Must be the PR machine is making sure the bugs are ironed out first. I for one was stoked to see "H" pop up in place of the "E" (for EDGE) on my phone after 12 last night. I confirmed the much-faster speeds after some sleep and a reboot.

Anyone else out there spock that?

Leave a comment:

• TuNnL
    replied
    Jackie McLean

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
    My friend told me about Jacqueline McClean, and how she was doing a great job as KGMB's investigative reporter.

She won 3 awards in one year, I think they were all Emmys

So what happens? I heard she was supposed to have a special commercial on her achievement aired, but for some reason it was nixed.

She left KGMB for the mainland not long after. I'm not sure that was the reason
    I’m sure that wasn’t the only reason. I’ve heard she did a lengthy on-camera interview with Malia Zimmerman, the now infamous founder of hawaiireporter.com, shortly after the Jennifer Toma-Bainum scandal.

As far as I can tell, that story never aired. If I was a kick@ss investigative reporter, I would be more pissed about that.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Many, many years ago, a TV station in Denver secretly followed some public workers around. It started with the pothole paving crew. On the day they followed then, they put in over time but only actually did work for about an hour.

Major MAJOR fall out over that. I think the mayor ended up resigning.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    What they understand is a P&L statement.

To look at some long-term trends: Everything is driven by money. Perhaps more so then it used to be. The problem is labor costs as a percentage of all costs have steadily gone up. Investigative reporting is probably the most expensive, as it takes time to research and it may end up in a non-story. Much more cost effective to sit and wait for someone to call and report/tip on something happening. Otherwise the newspaper as a investment ends up "under-performing".

At least that's my guess. I'd like to be proven wrong.
    My friend told me about Jacqueline McClean, and how she was doing a great job as KGMB's investigative reporter.

She won 3 awards in one year, I think they were all Emmys

So what happens? I heard she was supposed to have a special commercial on her achievement aired, but for some reason it was nixed.

She left KGMB for the mainland not long after. I'm not sure that was the reason, but she was a kick-butt investigator who, according to my friends who knew and worked with her, ALWAYS produced a good story.

Leave a comment:

• GeckoGeek
    replied

Originally posted by unidentifiedstar View Post
    I would add that more investigative reporting in Hawaii is a need to have, not a nice to have. Unfortunately, the corporations that own the newspapers do not understand that, nor do they want to.
    What they understand is a P&L statement.

To look at some long-term trends: Everything is driven by money. Perhaps more so then it used to be. The problem is labor costs as a percentage of all costs have steadily gone up. Investigative reporting is probably the most expensive, as it takes time to research and it may end up in a non-story. Much more cost effective to sit and wait for someone to call and report/tip on something happening. Otherwise the newspaper as a investment ends up "under-performing".

At least that's my guess. I'd like to be proven wrong.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

Agreed unidentified.

Sad but true.

I'd also like to see a story done on the slow, snail-like pace of the Hawaii Supreme Court when it comes to issuing rulings on cases.

What do these guys do on an average day?

How many hours a week do they work and how much do they make if you break it down per hour?

If they do work so much, how difficult is their job that it takes seemingly forever for a ruling.

So slow...the rulings come down.

Unless of course, you're dealing with the SuperFerry.

Leave a comment:

• unidentifiedstar
    replied

I agree, pumpkinboy. I would add that more investigative reporting in Hawaii is a need to have, not a nice to have. Unfortunately, the corporations that own the newspapers do not understand that, nor do they want to.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

I'm not a Hannemann or a Harris or a Fasi supporter.

I don't like politicians in general, I don't trust most of them.

Anyway, I'd also like to see a comparison of the city budget and the size of government, the total number of gov't employees and their salaries during the Harris admin vs. the Hannmann administration.

What I've read recently is that Hannemann has filled a lot of vacant, unfunded positions recently....and that it will be up to the taxpayers to foot the bill.

I don't know, so you tell me, are those positions needed?

I keep hearing that mantra that Hannemann USED to say to reporters...

"Nice to have, versus NEED to have."

So, are those workers and now funded positions really needed?

Some investigative reporting would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    Well, it sure as hell isn't the SuperFerry's fault!!!

I didn't see that one coming --- lol!!!

Leave a comment:

• LikaNui
    replied

Originally posted by pumpkinboy View Post
    I'd like to see a story on the incompetence or inability of the Agriculture inspection officials to keep out invasive species from coming to Oahu and the other islands.
    First, the coqui frogs coming in plants to various islands
    Then, the stinging caterpillars coming AGAIN via plants to various islands
    What the heck is going on here?
    Well, it sure as hell isn't the SuperFerry's fault!!!

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

I'd like to see a story on the incompetence or inability of the Agriculture inspection officials to keep out invasive species from coming to Oahu and the other islands.

First, the coqui frogs coming in plants to various islands

Then, the stinging caterpillars coming AGAIN via plants to various islands

What the heck is going on here?

Why not stop the species from coming in...isn't that the inspectors' job?

How many inspectors are there? How many plants come in each day or each month or year?

How many of those plants are actually inspected?

They caught some wasps or hornets hiding in Christmas trees this year, bravo!

Now do the other plants just as well too.

Or get some more inspectors.

Leave a comment:

• MixedPlateBroker
    replied
    Re: Superferry

I'd like a writer to ask John Garibaldi exactly how his HSF vehicle inspectors will exclude any varroa mite-stricken honeybees from gaining passage aboard his boats. According to this article in last Monday's Advertiser:
    During regular operations, the 350-foot Alakai will only be able to accommodate a maximum of 866 passengers and 282 subcompact cars.
    Although Superferry officials have said in the past that they have "detailed programs" to address the myriad environmental impact concerns of opponents, they have yet to provide full disclosure. We are left to rely on community viewpoint letters like this to get an idea of vehicle inspection logistics. In fact, this section of HSF's own website would seem to give the old wink and nod to businesses looking to float their commerical vehicles interisland:
    The convenience is exceptional. Drivers simply pull up to the Hawaii Superferry vehicle check-in station, hand the attendant all required documents, and drive on the ferry.
    I would then like to see Glenn Hong, president & CEO of Young Brothers, and the corresponding company officers from Matson and Horizon Lines asked the same question. And then it might be nice to ask our Department of Agriculture chairperson her opinion on their responses, especially in light of her, IMO, flaccid varroa mite plan (draft).
    Don't get me wrong. I've been looking forward to an interisland ferry for decades. I'm not saying HSF has to pull an EIS out of their a**. I would just like to see certain people in powerful positions give unvarnished answers to a few simple questions. And that's mostly because I think a threat which could decimate the entire state's agricultural industry should be given more consideration.
    Last edited by MixedPlateBroker; August 27, 2007, 08:49 PM. Reason: Loco Moco

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

I'm not knocking the Advertiser mind you, they were very smart and forward thinking in what they did, either buying that land outright when it has almost no development so it probably was quite affordable...or locking in a low lease rate for many yrs.

And they got a huge bldg built where there are no homes, thus no neighbors to complain or "raise the roof" so to speak.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
    We have one. It's called "show me the money".

Just keep in mind, if you don't go "up" you go "out". And if you don't grow, then prices will climb that much faster as supply becomes stagnet and demand just keeps going.
    Interesting point.

It would be nice if there was just some sort of plan.

Look at the Advertiser printing press bldg...that thing is enormous sticking out like a sore thumb in the middle of nowhere.

They were very smart though, they thought of it first AND they got that cherished height limit WAIVED.

Leave a comment:

• pumpkinboy
    replied

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
    Pumpkinboy, you are too kind. Those structures sprout up like WEEDS, not FLOWERS!

It does seem that the "waivers" and "variances" have become the "rule."
    lol I was gonna say weeds but thought it was too mean

Leave a comment:

Working...
X