Retro Pinup (SFW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro Pinup (SFW)

In my spare time, I like to scratch out a crappy drawing or two and I love to draw retro toony pinup gals more than anything. Yeah, I'm a little weird.

Anyway...every summer, someone will inevitably say
    "Hey, you should do a Hawaiian pinup"
    and I'll usually respond with
    "Everybody does a Hawaii chick around summer! I'm not doing it.""

BUT! This year, I relented and I am doing a Hawaii chick...but I refuse to draw a coconut bra!

Long story short, the (very) rough sketch is below and I would like some ideas from you all. I need ideas like what to put in the background, what colors to use, etc.

Now, before somebody points out that there's something wonky about the left hand, left foot, and that flower dealie-bopper, that is done on purpose. They will come in handy when it comes time to lay down the color.

As stated before, she is a retro toon and that is why her anatomy is impossible. So, no complaints from my fellow females.

Now, here's hoping that the image shows up!

Last edited by LonLeroux; June 11, 2008, 08:52 AM.
    Hail to the Chief Bloomenbergensteinenthal, shiksa.

Re: Retro Pinup (SFW)

Take a look through the photo thread and see if there's anything that'd make a suitable background. Ask the photographer for permission to 'toon it and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
      Take a look through the photo thread and see if there's anything that'd make a suitable background. Ask the photographer for permission to 'toon it and go from there.

Many thanks for the suggestion, but I'm afraid that sort of goes against my personal moral code when it comes to drawing. I prefer my scribblings to come from pure scratch. Photo references are only to be used in a very tight pinch, I prefer imagination.

Comment

I'm not saying to do it directly from the reference, just use it as a jumping off point. Or do something with a super close up so it'll almost be an abstract if you want a non representational background. Sort of like Georgia O'Keefe did with her flowers.

Comment

I'm not saying to do it directly from the reference, just use it as a jumping off point. Or do something with a super close up so it'll almost be an abstract if you want a non representational background. Sort of like Georgia O'Keefe did with her flowers.

Okay, now that's a horse of a different color.
          Thank you.

Comment

Wow. Nice sketching, Lon. I like your stylish lines.

Wish I had graphic arts experience, so I could offer useful ideas, but alas. My best friend graduated from CalArts, but he came out of the writing program. The only second hand "advice" I ever heard was to not use a color palette you're too comfortable with, but of course I have no clue what the context was for that tip.

Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
            I prefer my scribblings to come from pure scratch. Photo references are only to be used in a very tight pinch, I prefer imagination.
            You should consider using the beautiful photos in that thread to inspire some color combinations. Not sure how well photo colors will translate into toons, but who knows.

Since you work with cadavers, do you do a lot of anatomy sketches? Have you ever tried video taping your hands while you sketch?
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

There's bound to be something you can study in all those pics from around the islands that would make a good blow up for a background. Or if you want to go with something highly recognizable in the background like Diamondhead you have the reference to get the outlines right with the possibility of finding a pic that's not the typical tourist angled shot.

Comment

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
                Wow. Nice sketching, Lon. I like your stylish lines.
                Oh, pisha...it's only a sketch. You're makin' me blush.

Since you work with cadavers, do you do a lot of anatomy sketches? Have you ever tried video taping your hands while you sketch?
                I love doing anatomy sketches, though I doubt that they would be fit to put on the board. I am not looking to get pounded by the almighty banhammer.
                Video taping my hands? I've never done that. Why do you ask?

Comment

Nice contrast of lines and curves. I like the angles, especially the two arms in relation to each other. The inside of the left forearm with the outside of the left thigh.
                  Originally posted by LonLeroux View Post
                  Video taping my hands? I've never done that. Why do you ask?
                  I suppose it's a bit creepy, but meh, it'll have entertainment value. Nothing like a little TMI to liven things. Yay for internet anonymity.

A few years back an old friend of mines visited Hawaii. We were talking on the swings at the Kaimuki rec center about the direction our lives had taken. Being recently single, he lamented his last relationship.

As these conversations always end up, we got onto the topic of fantasy girlfriends. The one he chose that night was a pencil artist for one of those anatomy books. IIRC, he envisioned her wearing a biker jumpsuit, but with her wrists exposed, so he could see her tendons flex taut and slacken as she drew. I could see his point.

I think he also had a crush on Neko Case at the time. So with that, I'll leave you with this.

My apologies for taking the thread off topic. I think I'm procrastinating. Back to the grind.
                  "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                  "

Comment

Oranges and Peaches, Limes and Olives, the colors of Birds of Paradise. Light Purples in the orchids, with tans and browns for bamboo or tree trunks, bright light colors are everywhere in Hawaii flora and fauna. Check the hue of the leaf of a Kukui Nut tree. Almost has a white to it.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thank you to those who have posted their wonderful suggestions!

Here is a semi-finished pinup of a lady-sailor for my dear ol' dad, the Navy man. As you can see, it still has that sketchy look, but that will disappear as I put the final touches on it. All that remains is to smooth out the colors and polish the rough edges of this piece. It's a bit off topic, but MyopicJoe got off topic too...

Comment

What do you use to color in with? It looks like colored pencils. If they are what type do you use?

Comment

By chance, do you have any sketches of retro studs?
                          "

Comment

heheheh...

I wuz going ask da same question.

Beautiful pics. I especially love the eyes.

Kinda reminds me of someone I know.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What do you use to color in with? It looks like colored pencils. If they are what type do you use?
                              Part of it is colored with colored pencils, and the other part is colored with crayons...yeah, I'm simple. Both the pencils and the crayons are your generic dollar store brands.

LOL, no. Though I'll occasional sketch the make form in anatomy sketches and I love doing muscle-head caricatures, I find it difficult to make a male "va-va-voomish."

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              Beautiful pics. I especially love the eyes.

Kinda reminds me of someone I know.
                              Well, thank you, ma'am.

Comment

Working...
                              X