This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakly Flogging Volume 2

This is the start of a new thread for the ongoing Honolulu Weekly flogging. The old one is closed.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Weakly Flogging Volume 2

Well, I picked up my first Honolulu Weekly in several months, and of course it's the "Best of Honolulu" issue. It still boggles the mind how a publication can solicit input solely to ridicule it. "You like that? Are you people nuts?" In a not-so-subtle way, it's a pretty clear indication of the opinion the Weekly has of its readers -- a group of people that's rapidly dwindling in size.

The write-up on Ian Lind was interesting, though it was funny to see them basically say, "Independent blogs are where it's at... unless that independent blog is Hawaii Reporter. But independent blogs debunking Hawaii Reporter are really cool."

I don't get the new syndicated editorial cartoonist at all. Not "I don't get it because I'm not hip enough." I'm sure I'm not hip. But I can tell mediocre crap when I see it.

The interview on pidgin was mildly entertaining, though. And from what I gather, the architectural review of the UH medical building in the previous issue wasn't bad.

Comment

Cmon Ryan, we weren't condescending on ALL points...I said the readers' choice for best public sculpture was a good one. ;p And didn't the write up on Kokua make you laugh? I scratched my head at the people's choice for best local blog...what, with all the good local blogs, voters chose myspace.com? What do you make of that? (My personal choice is onokinegrindz.com, and Ragnar likes poinography, and you know what Kawehi reads.)

I thought our point about Ian Lind is that he is Honolulu's best news breaker, not that blogs are "where it's at." Faulty editing, if that didn't come across.

Thought Red Meat would appeal to your sense of the absurd.

I really like Ragnar's piece on Bruce Fein, highlighting the attorney's scary background, which hasn't been addressed elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WeaklyEd
        Cmon Ryan, we weren't condescending on ALL points...

I think Ryan's point MAY be the condescension that WAS offered was too much, even though it was not offered on all points.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

"I don't get it because I'm not hip enough." I'm sure I'm not hip.
          I'm not either, buddy. But here I am really giving a rip, LOL, as do you.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            It still boggles the mind how a publication can solicit input solely to ridicule it. "You like that? Are you people nuts?"
            yep. wen spok em arready. Da buggah pilau.
            steh all;
            "wot!? You stupids! Give us more den dat fo print!"

funny.
            eh.
            at least dey slightly entertaining.

oh. and i will add in new "pretense-speak", this:

That said, i liked the article a few issues ago on Kalo farmers and their plight. Having said that, that's what I said; was good.
            That having been said, was a well written article. Definately.
            Last edited by kimo55; August 11, 2005, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the MySpace pick was odd, but some of the other strange answers make it clear that some folks didn't understand the question. I'd say about 70 percent of that is, well, limited reading comprehension, but probably 30 percent came from unclear questions. I remember seeing the form and thinking that the categories were written to be more clever than clear.

That and, well, for all the press and debate, blogs probably aren't highly ranked on most folks' radars. I'd say you're more likely to have blog readers among the Weekly demographic, but that still might be a minority.

I will say that as a fan of "citizen journalism" (the trend name du jour), and knowing both the limited media landscape as well as all the wackiness that goes on in Hawaii, I'm surprised there isn't a stronger community of bloggers out here (excluding the MySpace, "this guy at Oceans was soooooooooooo cute" contingent). Or, if they're out there, no one's been able to find them.

I can say that the level of snark and contempt for readers was noticably lower this year than last, but still, it felt like more categories than not were summed up with incredulity. And certainly now the "Editor's Picks" get much more play versus the readers' choices... when the latter would seem to be the whole point.

Oh, and I love absurd. I don't get anything from that strip besides "bad."

Comment

I don't like where they label Bethany Hamilton an overexposed teenager.
                IF...one appearance in all her media she gets inspires one child, or handicapped person, any and all "overexposure" is worth it. If a journalsit feels someone who went through what she did, who is doubtlessly proving (or should be assumed) to be an inspiration to many, feels there is overexposure, they can damn well turn off their TV.

I found the subjects very weird and awkward, as if written by a high school paper columnist attempting to be quirky:
                best tree you never noticed.
                strangest UH elevator.

whaaaat!?
                made me recycle da pepah wikiwiki.

Comment

was gone for a while, but I'll play my role, lol. the best of honolulu is great, imo. funny, snarky, maybe a little inside, but well done. also the march coverage and the fine print story were good. i still don't get why there's so much love for the wealthy dailies and so mch hate for the shoestring weekly.

Comment

Try go walk into da Starbulletin newsroom and tell dem dey wealthy.Bumbye watchem all crack up kine...

Comment

>>>Try go walk into da Starbulletin newsroom and tell dem dey wealthy.Bumbye watchem all crack up kine...<<<

Naw, we're too busy sitting there counting stacks of large bills...

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                        >>>Try go walk into da Starbulletin newsroom and tell dem dey wealthy.Bumbye watchem all crack up kine...<<<

Naw, we're too busy sitting there counting stacks of large bills...
                        ... as swarthy young men fan us with large palm fronds on the decks of our yachts ...

Oh! Um ... Did I say that out loud?

Comment

again wit da
                          "swarthy young men"

you goin geev some o us odda men a complex.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            again wit da
                            "swarthy young men"

you goin geev some o us odda men a complex.
                            Swarthiness is negotiable.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                              Swarthiness is negotiable.

ok:
                              How is:
                              "of a dark color, complexion, or cast"
                              ak...shully negotiable?!

.......how is being a dark color..... negotiable?
                              I long to be.... uh, illuminated.

Comment

Working...
                              X