X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Those Hawaiians, Those Mainlanders!

Originally posted by lurkah
    And look at me now.
    That does explain a lot, my twisted compadre...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Thank you for the clarification, sinjin. You had quoted from Sindahrella 808, however, so that's what I was responding to.
      I gathered as much. If I was unclear, sorry and as Sindarella was spanked here initially, I wouldn't want to do that. At least not without it being in person and requested.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
        At least not without it being in person and requested.
        I think you may have just succeeded in getting this thread back on-topic, sort of --- between Hawaiians and Mainlanders ---

Comment

It was GypsyLika that suggested intentional infecting of the Hawaiian people. See post #77.
          Perhaps it was a serendipitously collison of germs and humans. My mistake. Maybe I'm thinking cultural genocide.

The Gifts of Civilization: Germs & Genocide in Hawaii, by OA Bushnell 1993
          ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
            Oh boy. Your very first post here and you're telling us we should "learn something" from the mainland?! You must not be aware of how very much that offends us in our Hawai`i nei.
            Here's an easy way for you to learn: go say that to some of the folks in, say, Nanakuli or Waianae or elsewhere on the leeward coast.

Please consider treading a little more lightly here, k?
            Um, most New York City people are technically not mainlanders. (Proof:Manhattan is an island. Roosevelt Island and City Island are obviously islands, as is Staten Island. Queens and Brooklyn rest on the biggest island of that chain, Long Island; other isles in that archipelago include Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Liberty Island, and Ellis Island, along with Governor's Island. That archipelago resulted not from volcanoes, but from a glacier and its aftermath.)

That being said, yeah, to the guy/ gal who upset the Hawaiians by suggesting that mainlanders and people connected by bridges to the mainland are nicer, please tread more lightly in here.

Comment

Um, fer the most part, we don't care about technical terms here; the spirit and soul of mainlanders is what we refer to.
              That being said, islanders couldn't tell the difference one iota between a manhattan islander and an ellis islander. (nor does anyone care)
              Having said that, everyone in the continental usa is a mainlander.
              That having been said, we don't care how many lil islands the east coast is constituted of. ya simply ain't an islander.
              Last edited by kimo55; October 6, 2005, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                Um, we are not using technical terms here; the spirit and soul of mainlanders is what we refer to.
                That being said, "islanders" couldn't tell the difference one iota between a manhattan islander and an ellis islander. (nor does anyone care)
                Having said that, everyone in the continental usa is a mainlander.
                That having been said, we don't care how many lil islands the east coast is constituted of. ya simply ain't an "islander".
                Never mind the fact that Ellis Island doesn't really have any residents. Of course, in Hawaii it certainly seems like "islander" is equal to "Hawaiian" (which makes me wonder what you call Filipinoes and Japanese). To me, anyway, a kinda mainlander by my definition, the difference between island and mainland is very likely the size of Greenland. (Of course, I like to go by textbook definitions, and someone decided that Greenland was an "island" and not a "continent".

As for the East Coast, well, I don't care how many lil islands the East Coast is constituted of either. Heck, if we get picky about it, we could claim that only a small part of New York City is actually on the East Coast, but I'm not gonna go that far.

By race, I'm pretty much a Haole. ok, Jewish, whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
                  Of course, in Hawaii it certainly seems like "islander" is equal to "Hawaiian"
                  there is no "of course" about it. For all my decades here, islander has not exclusively referred to only "Hawaiian".
                  (which makes me wonder what you call Filipinoes and Japanese).
                  I for one, call them locals, If they are kama'aina.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    there is no "of course" about it. For all my decades here, islander has not exclusively referred to only "Hawaiian".

I for one, call them locals, If they are kama'aina.
                    I was thinking of people who live in the Philippines and Japan, not necessarily those born and raised on Hawaiian soil.

Comment

• Re: Those Hawaiians, Those Mainlanders!

Yeah, "islander" means different things depending on where you live. I recall reading some book about Puget Sound and chuckling whenever they'd talk about the islanders, meaning folks who lived on, say, Bainbridge Island. But here in Hawai‘i, we mean us.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Yeah, "islander" means different things depending on where you live. I recall reading some book about Puget Sound and chuckling whenever they'd talk about the islanders, meaning folks who lived on, say, Bainbridge Island. But here in Hawai‘i, we mean us.
                        I gotcha.

Comment

Speaking of "mainland" (or nearly so) locations, the San Juan Islands may be of interest to Hawaiians. After all, Hawaiians had gone over there early in the San Juan Islands' history, in such trades as shepherding (the trade of one "Poalie" - possibly a "Po'ali"? - who was a Kanaka nicknamed Joe Friday). The main town of the San Juans is named for him (Friday Harbor).

On the "real" mainland, in fact, way, way mauka, in Idaho, there is an Owyhee County, so named because of Hawaiian fur trappers who ventured there within twenty years of the famous expedition of Lewis and Clark.

Owyhee is also the name of a canyon, a river, a land initiative, and a mountain range, all in what we Jerseyans consider the "Pacific Northwest".
                          Last edited by Rickyrab; October 6, 2005, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Funny that you should mention that. Craig was just talking about the Owyhee Mountains today over in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyrab
                              ...all in what we Jerseyans consider the "Pacific Northwest".
                              I have never heard anyone before refer to any part of Idaho is the Pacific Northwest. Eastern Washington has high desert and the Pacific Northwest is west of there as I have always understood it. Idaho is in what I would call the Rocky Mountain states. You have any unusual take on geography not without entertainment value.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

I have never heard anyone before refer to any part of Idaho is the Pacific Northwest. Eastern Washington has high desert and the Pacific Northwest is west of there as I have always understood it. Idaho is in what I would call the Rocky Mountain states. You have any unusual take on geography not without entertainment value.
                                Well, we call part of Idaho part of the PNW...the skinny part at the top where Coeur d'Alene is (right across the border from Spokane). In fact, some people call Coeur d'Alene a bedroom community of Spokane! The southern part of Idaho is definitely part of the Rocky Mountain States. Eastern Washington votes "red", while Western WA votes "blue". Might as well be 2 different states.

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X