Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

I remember when a lot of Don Ho's music ruled the island radio airwaves in the mid and late 1960s. He had a contract with Reprise Records upon which several albums and singles were released. His most famous of course was "Tiny Bubbles" which made it to the Billboard Hot 100 around 1966 and others such as "E Lei Ka Lei Lei," and the Ku'i Lee classic "I'll Remember You" are classic standards.

Don was cool throughout his career and was even part of the MTV generation (1990s) when he did a rendition of the old Peter Gabriel track "Shock the Monkey" in an animated video. Very cool. He also appeared in the goofy MTV movie "Joe's Apartment" where he was cast as a heavy.

Like many others have already expressed, my condolences to his family. Hawaii has truly lost a great entertainer.
    Last edited by mel; April 14, 2007, 05:22 PM.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

What a bummer. Full life or not, 77 is still young. I'm with my family right now celebrating my dad's 80th birthday, and I hate to think of 77 as an age one dies at. I think 90's, not 70's.

In the new Hawaii Magazine there is a picture of an old Don Ho ad from the 60's that said "Don Ho IS HAwaii"....to many mainlanders, this is very much the truth.
      Last year he played in LA, and now I regret not going

R.I.P. Don Ho.
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

R.I.P, Don...
        flickr

An email from God:
        To: People of Earth
        Date: 9/04/2007
        Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
        God

Comment

Ok, so based on Frankie's Market's original post I contact 2 friends who are close to the Ho family to find out more details. I'm just an acquaintance. They're friends. I end up being the bearer of bad news. Both friends asked me how I found out so soon...who told me...reliable source...yada, yada. Jeez, the power of the internet! The power of the HA's breaking news. The power of HT!

I love that Don was well enough to do his Thursday show. Hopefully, there was no lead up to the heart attack; that it hit and took him instantly...a good way for a good man to make his transition to the next realm. His support of local talent, regardless of age, will be sorely missed.

Comment

I cried when I read this here. I'd been busy moving house today, and away from any newsy content. Strangely, the shuffle mode on my iPod chose today to serve up Don's rendition of "What a Wonderful World" and his "Papa's Memento." A fitting selection, and maybe a way for the cosmos to let me know of a friend's passing.

Sadly, just the other day thought I should give him a call to see how things were going. I won't put that kind of thing off again.

My heart goes out to Haumea, Hoku, and all of Don's friends and ohana.

I thought it might be nice to post the lyrics from "Papa's Memento":

Go easy brah, in between all the racket and the rushing around.
            And no forget how nice when everything is malia.
            And no give up for nothing, or nobody.
            Try get along with everybody, and no lie, you.
            Talk soft, and no ho'omalimali.
            And no get deaf ear, you. Even the little guys like talk story, too.
            Stay away from the hustlers who all waha. They only going bother your mana.
            If you going try to be like somebody else, you going get big head, and feel like one sour see moi.
            You always going find somebody more akamai and more lolo than you, you know.
            Enjoy the things you pau with, and the things you can do.
            Appreciate your job, even though you think it's no big thing. At least you got something going in this kapakahi world.
            Watch how you take care business because get plenty barracudas all around. But no let this throw you off.
            Plenty guys go for the max, and get good brothers everywhere.
            What you are is what you get, you know.
            No act like you like somebody when you no like um, and no take love cheap because love is garen, just like the honohono grass.
            If you old, be thankful what you wen learn.
            Let the kids take over what you no can handle, and be glad for them.
            Make your mana strong so you can handle pilikia.
            And no get shook up when you no can think straight, because only easy get scared when your mind no set and you stay all alone.
            Get it all together brah, but no get too heavy so you get sick.
            You are a keiki of the universe. Just like the guava trees and all the hokus in the sky, you're supposed to be here, too.
            And even if you no think so, the universe is doing its thing.
            So be at peace with Akua. To each his own, you know.
            And whatever your work and hopes and all this racket, be malia with your mana.
            Even though it's all jam up and everything is a drag and your dreams all buss up, the world is still outasight. Stay cool, brah, and always try to be happy.
            And, oh yeah... Aloha!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
              I cried when I read this here.[...]
              You and Jimmy Borges. Big, crocodile tears during his interview on the news. Don was just bigger than life. It's hard not to be impacted by his loss.

Comment

Now that he's gone, I gotta tell someone this: Just between you and me (not you and I), I "heard" Don Ho whenever the Doors' "Touch Me" was played. Always. [I googled the song and found a Youtube link in wikipedia.]

The first time this hit me was when the song was echoing through an empty galley during Navy boot camp in 1967. Sumpin about Jim Morrison's voice on that song reminded me of Don Ho.

I've always wondered how he would sound if he ever sang that song. Now, we'll never know, huh?

Please don't tell anyone about this. At least, it's finally off my chest.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

We will miss you uncle Don...

I remember explaining to him about the internet and how it works and about him doing a website. He was open arms to new technology and where it was going. I made him a sample website with his picture and he was shocked. I remember telling him soon you can sell songs and goods online and that was in early 90's. later he typed in Don Ho and was amazed how many fan sites there are! Now news of his passing has spread accross the world like wildfire!

RIP.....

Comment

Top national story tonight...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html
                    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266127,00.html
                    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18112441/

His going-away party is gonna' be an epic event.

Mom has some stories about Don's mom's Honey's Place in Kaneohe, which was right up the street from our house. I'll share later.
                    Last edited by Pomai; April 14, 2007, 09:55 PM.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Lovena

Comment

My condolences goes out the Don Ho's 'ohana and his friends. He will be surely missed in Hawai'i because he was such an icon. This is for you Mr. Don Ho I'll remember you.
                        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Don was cool throughout his career and was even part of the MTV generation (1990s) when he did a rendition of the old Peter Gabriel track "Shock the Monkey" in an animated video. Very cool.
                          Thanks, Mel, for that reminder. I know I have that somewhere in my video archives.

Comment

Don is going to receive the biggest send-off in Waikiki since Duke's nearly 40 years ago. Not just kama'aina, but you can bet legions of fans and admirers from around the world will be there to say their final farewell to the Man.

Aloha Don. Through your music and the many people you have touched, your legacy will live on forever.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

A sad loss indeed. Nice to see the acclaim he's getting all around the planet. He was always supportive of up and coming musicians, bless his heart.
                              I ran into him several times at DH's Island Grill and always saw him being friendly to strangers who approached him.
                              I always thought of him as a devilish angel. RIP, Uncle Don.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

For a trip down memory lane, take a moment to watch the video compilation of Don's old television appearances:

http://donho.com/video.html

Comment

Working...
                                X