Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha 'Oe, Don Ho: 1930-2007

Good friends of mine run the karaoke contest on Sunday nights at DHIG. Don would show up to support the contestants. The big winner at the end of the year would go to Las Vegas to perform with his show. Several monthly keiki winners went on to perform in his Waikiki show. One was supposed to start tonight.

And whatta rascal he was...one heckuva nice rascal! He will be soooo missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Ogata View Post
      For a trip down memory lane, take a moment to watch the video compilation of Don's old television appearances:

http://donho.com/video.html
      Thanks so much for the link, Paul. What a great compilation. Wow...there's even a snippet of video from the Korbel Champagne spot he and I worked on. Very cool. Very sad.

Comment

With all of the fond memories, appreciation, and tributes to Don Ho pouring in from all over the world, I think it is more than a little sad and disgraceful that, in his home territory, he was never given the honor of being inducted into the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame.

Right now, I can't think of a better way to honor Uncle Don than for everyone here to call/e-mail/write-in to the Hawn. Music HOF and let them know how you feel. Let's start a campaign to get him into the hall and receive the honor that he so richly deserves.

http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/main/cover.html
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
          With all of the fond memories, appreciation, and tributes to Don Ho pouring in from all over the world, I think it is more than a little sad and disgraceful that, in his home territory, he was never given the honor of being inducted into the Hawaiian Music Hall of Fame.

Right now, I can't think of a better way to honor Uncle Don than for everyone here to call/e-mail/write-in to the Hawn. Music HOF and let them know how you feel. Let's start a campaign to get him into the hall and receive the honor that he so richly deserves.

http://www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/main/cover.html
          This is also a time to rethink and push for Hawaii's own Walk of Fame!...

Yesterday evening at Duke's, Kapena did a tribute to Uncle Don, singing "Tiny Bubbles" (twice) and Makaha Sons "I Will Remember You", bringing tears to people's eyes, including mine.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            I always thought of him as a devilish angel. RIP, Uncle Don.
            To read about the "devilish" side, see Ian Lind's blog entry for today, with some old info about certain ties to organized crime.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Rest in peace Don Ho!

I'll Remember You!

Lynn Vasquez and Ohana
              Ditto here.

R.I.P. Don Ho.

Thanks for that post, really pretty.

I'm so glad that he lived a full wonderful life.

That is the most important thing, & what counts the most.

Aloha.
              Aches & Pains
              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Uncle Don was the exemplifer of the previous generation of Hawaiian culture, one that was inclusive, rather than exclusive.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

The bigger you get, the smaller you act.

While that's a bit of a paraphrase of a Don-ism...what a wonderful philosolphy.

Services will take place on Sat. May 5 in Waikiki. Cha Thompson of Tihati Productions is planning what should be the send off of all send offs.

Comment

Breaking News.

Don Ho's daughter found dead

Less than a week after the funeral for Hawai'i entertainer Don Ho, his 51-year-old daughter Dayna Ho-Henry was found dead on the North Shore, according to her brother.

Honolulu police in Wahiawa and the Honolulu Medical Examiner's office said they were responding to a report of an unattended death in Wahiawa but had no further details this morning.
                    Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                    We're not here to mess around
                    Boston, you know we love you madly
                    Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                    Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                    You know we couldn't live without you
                    Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Oh my god, that's just HORRIBLE.

More condolences to the family.

As if going thru last weeks' ceremony wasn't enough.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Shocking and Tragic! She was the spokesperson for their family when their father died.

Condolences to the "Ho" Ohana.

Lynn Vasquez and family.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'm stunned. I truly am. Dayna and her (still) pre-teen daughter had been to my office about a year ago. Dayna was quite a character. She got a big kick out of seeing the autographed photo of her dad on my wall and asked how I knew him! At the time Dayna was one of Dick Jensen's caretakers.

I wonder what happened?

RIP, Dayna. Big hugs of condolences to the Ho family once again.

Comment

Daughter Accuses Don Ho Of Deceiving Her Dying Mother
                            Dondi Ho-Costa claims her father violated a deathbed agreement with her mother. The dispute is over a Lanikai beachfront property. [...]

In a court petition, Ho-Costa alleged her father in 1999 made a verbal promise to her mother to "place the (Lanikai) home into a trust for Melva's benefit for her life, and then for the benefit of her children... after she died." However, Ho-Costa alleged in the lawsuit that, "Don failed to do so, and thereby breeched the agreement." [...]

In a new book by Don Ho and co-author Jerry Hopkins called Don Ho: My Music, My Life, Ho stated where he thought the Lanikai house should go. "I kept the house in Lanikai. That's Haumea's house. When I kick the bucket, that's her house," Ho is quoted.

Comment

Photos of the Lanikai home, taken just 6 weeks ago, are in this post and the three posts that follow it, here and here and finally here.
                              It was impossible to get a full shot of the entire home due to its layout and also the landscaping that blocked decent shots, but.
                              The home was on the market when I was there, listed at just under $7 million. It's apparently in escrow now, which is probably what caused Dondi's lawsuit.
                              Last edited by LikaNui; February 1, 2008, 08:34 PM.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X