This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Weakly items

Did anyone read the Letters in today's Weakly? Once again, they've misattributed quotes, this time claiming that Sam Slom said some things that Fred Hemming actually had said. Oops. And after the recent ruckus in the Weakly attributing quotes from a UH meeting which the person and the reporter hadn't even attended, it seems that the Weakly's credibility and reliability are sinking rapidly. (These aren't the only examples, of course.)
    Another question is: once Jeremy Harris leaves office, what will Pritchett do his cartoons about?!? Jeremy has given him 10 years of material, but once he's gone, will Pritchett survive?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Honolulu Weakly items

Yes, I was amused to see in the letters column that a quote had been totally mis-attributed (but at least they admitted it).

It is a fairly dull issue. And, really, that dumb "cartoon" which sadly replaced Ted Rall is probably the most lame thing in the paper now. Even worse than "Clubbed to Death" (which was especially banal this week).

Comment

I was intrigued by the classified ad run on behalf of Weekly reporter Li Wang:
      DOING RESEARCH for an article on Down to Earth, Chris Butler, Mike Gabbard, Independents for Godly Government. Please E-mail Li Wang at lwang@honoluluweekly.com if you have any information about these organizations or people.
      That's certainly an interesting way to find sources... though not a particularly ambitious or aggressive way. And Gabbard and Butler must certainly appreciate the heads up on the article... getting a chance to round up some sources for Li Wang that might help them preemptively clarify their position on whatever Li Wang is looking for.

Comment

I guess times have changed. I remember a time when a journalist would pound the pavement or make phone calls to get a story, now the story has to come to them?

Anyway the association of subjects under one heading makes one wonder if there is some political personality assassination going on here like that Obama incident.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Y'all should check out the open letter from Ed Case to Mike Gabbard posted at HawaiiReporter.com (run by Malia Zimmerman). Maybe The Weekly saw it and that's why it's running the rather unconventional ad.

The letter and the questions it poses is/are VERY interesting. I'm not a political reporter though (thank GOD) so I'm not chasing it.
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Hey, I got that letter! I meant to post it, too. I've now mirrored it here, in our Case v. Gabbard thread. Interesting questions indeed! And the ones relevant to Li Wang's unusual solicitation are these:

29. Are you or have you been a follower of Chris Butler, also referred to as Jagad Guru, Siddha Swarupa Ananda, or Siddhaswarupananda Paramahansa?

30. What is or has been your relationship with any of the Science of Identity Foundation, Identity Institute International, the International Society for Khrishna Consciousness, or Down to Earth Inc.?
            It's in the "Religion" section, and seem very relevant given Mike Gabbard's frequent wrapping himself in Christian (Catholic?) cloth.

Frankly, it was such a public challenge, and the specific points so clearly spelled out for the media... I wonder who, besides the Weekly, is chasing it all down? Maybe not so lazy after all... and even if it is, I wonder how the response of other journalists would be characterised. Hmm!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              certainly an interesting way to find sources... though not a particularly ambitious or aggressive way. And Gabbard and Butler must certainly appreciate the heads up on the article... getting a chance to round up some sources for Li Wang that might help them preemptively clarify their position on whatever Li Wang is looking for.
              They've probably already set up some straw people to feed Wang false info, red herrings, wild goose chases, and the like (they've done it before). Gabbard and Butler have been screaming for a skilled investigative reporter to dig up all their skeletons, though ... one should step up to the plate.

Comment

They've probably already set up some straw people to feed Wang false info, red herrings, wild goose chases, and the like (they've done it before).
                The "Best of Honolulu 2004" issue noted one submission in the "Best High School Cheer" category, and it went something like this:
                Bite me Li, bite me Li, we're smarter than you, bite me Li.
                The "we" business is particularly telling.

Comment

I did think this year's "Best of Honolulu" was an especially entertaining issue, much enjoyed it. I didn't vote in this year's poll because there were too many categories where I had no choice (and at least one I didn't even know the meaning of!).

It's odd they continue to post letters protesting the absence of Ted Rall but still haven't published any explanation.

Comment

It's annoying, but not uncommon. Often times a newspaper will think publishing letters about itself is about as far as they need to go to "hear the voice of the people." The reason it stands out with the Honolulu Weekly is because they go much, much further than any newspaper does in rebutting rebuttals.

By that I mean, if Weekly Writer publishes something, and Weekly Reader responds to it (so far, so good), the Honolulu Weekly will publish the response, but then give Weekly Writer another six column inches to (1.) argue back, (2.) argue that he or she didn't mean what was written, and/or (3.) get in another dig, a cheap shot last word, in the hopes of inspiring yet another angry letter. It always annoyed me, and demonstrates a clear lack of respect for their readers.

You see that in things like their "Best of Honolulu," come to think of it, where survey responses are often mocked or singled out for being not cool enough. Could it be, maybe, they vastly overestimate their own coolness?

Oh, and as for "Stripwax"? I swear to god, I went through the last couple of issues several times wondering where it went. I just found it in this past issue, and realized that it's impossible to find because it's pretty indistinguishable from an ad. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      You see that in things like their "Best of Honolulu," come to think of it, where survey responses are often mocked or singled out for being not cool enough. Could it be, maybe, they vastly overestimate their own coolness?
                      Interesting to see the very large number of "Best Of" winners who happen to be favorite haunts of the Weakly's publisher and/or who have tradeouts with the paper.
                      I'm sure it's just coincidence.
                      Also noticed in today's issue that they're running an ad for a News Editor. I don't believe that position ever existed before at the Weakly.
                      The ad says "Salary commensurate with experience."
                      Given all we've heard and read here about the Weakly salaries, that means that fifth-graders are welcome to apply.
                      Last edited by LikaNui; August 25, 2004, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Honolulu Weakly's revolving door

Here they go again -- Senior Editor Li Wang left. See the item on page 4 of today's issue; apparently Li moved to Pennsylvania for a job there.
                        (Hey, WeeaklyEd, now it's really time to change that staff photo on the website! )
                        (And a wave to Ryan for the letter on page 3, by the way.)

Comment

Re: Honolulu Weakly's revolving door

"Senior Editor Li Wang left. See the item on page 4 of today's issue; apparently Li moved to Pennsylvania for a job there."

With a nice little send-off from the Weekly.

I do wonder what your slightly subtle campaign about the Weekly is about?

It was a decent issue, enjoyed reading it (including Ryan's letter).

So what exactly is your problem with the Honolulu Weekly?

Comment

Wang was good, but not that good. I can't imagine him in Penn. Chances are he's back in two months...only now they filled his slot. Wonder who? They should think about bringing back some of the previous writers/editors, like Blair or some of the stalwart freelancers who struggled to produce for the paper. Spread the wealth, man. Oahu is such a tight media market, and it seems like the best writers are always forced to leave or eek out a meager living selling meagers......

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                              So what exactly is your problem with the Honolulu Weekly?
                              The revolving door at the Weakly has been a topic of discussion for many years, back when this message board was on Mel's Hawaii Radio & TV website as well as around numerous water coolers and adult-refreshment establishments. Most of us have friends and aquaintances who have passed through those revolving doors and who have suffered the consequences, as it were. Hence, it's always tragicomically amusing to see the door continue to spin.
                              Perhaps you've noticed that at least two current Weakly employees participate in these discussions as well.
                              To understand the impact it's had on so very many in this small community, please see the infamous 10th Anniversary ruckus at http://web.archive.org/web/200211200...ords/HW10.html and part two of that at http://web.archive.org/web/200203130...rds/HW10b.html
                              That's why so many of us have a "problem".
                              Last edited by LikaNui; September 8, 2004, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X