Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use sunscreen (sun tan lotion)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use sunscreen (sun tan lotion)?

It sounds silly, but here goes. It's good to use sunscreen to protect from the sun.

I'm not going to the beach. I'm going to work. Office job. Expose to the sun when I drive, or walk around during lunch, or need to walk outside to drop off something.

If we read the instructions, it always say to use a "liberal" amount. Use a lot.

Again, I'm going to work, not to the beach. And I don't like the feeling of it being caked on my face. Or have a white tint to my skin.

So is using a little bit of sunscreen lotion a good idea? Better than not at all? Or a waste of time unless I can cake it on?

Re: How do you use sunscreen? (sun tan lotion)

I just read this interesting article last night and it should help to answer your question. "Use a lot" can also mean the same thing as it does for toothpaste...use it up faster so that you have to buy more!!! Liberal is good for beach and pool use.

Of interest to me is that both Dr. Lien and my dermatologist recommend the same sunscreen for the beach...Neutrogena with helioplex. It's amazing stuff! However, the article contains other suggestions for your type of usage, cabanalane.

Comment

Nice link, Sue. Thanks!
      "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
      "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
      "
      Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Can't say it here.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

After my first week in Hawaii, I embraced my freckled haole-ness and invested in OP spf 50. I keep plenty of it on hand, and use it regularly on my arms, chest, back of neck and legs/feet. If I am wearing sleeves or pants, that is the screen. It is kinda sticky, but it's better than the alternative; leatherneck and more early wrinkles. My face and throat get Aveeno spf 30 moisturizer; I believe it has lightened the spots that were there when I started using it.

I no longer wish to "get a tan." I only want to enjoy being outside without worrying about getting burned or worse.

(I made the mistake of traveling to another island with a big tube of my spf 50 in my carryon; they let me get there, but I had to give it up on the way home. Hard lesson; at least it wasn't the most expensive out there. )

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            "Use a lot" can also mean the same thing as it does for toothpaste...use it up faster so that you have to buy more!!!
            Tutusue, that reminded me of something I once learned in a business seminar a long time ago...

One of the most successful marketing phrases of all time appears on every bottle of shampoo sold today: "Lather. Rinse. Repeat."

The genius who wrote those three words probably laughed all the way to the bank.
            To be, or musubi... What was da question?

Comment

ummmm....sunscreen is different from tanning lotion...right? One blocks, the other enhances?
              flickr

An email from God:
              To: People of Earth
              Date: 9/04/2007
              Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
              God

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                Can't say it here.
                Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                the other enhances?
                We talkin' male enhancement, here?
                "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                "
                Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Thanks for the link.

From the article “Use separate, dime-size dollops."

So that does not sound like a lot. So I guess that's my answer?

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
                    Thanks for the link.

From the article “Use separate, dime-size dollops."

So that does not sound like a lot. So I guess that's my answer?
                    That doesn't sound like a lot to me considering dimes are small in circumference and flat. "Dollop" is kind of a subjective word, in this case, I think. That's the advice given in the article. It sounds like it's not the answer you're looking for.

Comment

That doesn't sound like a lot to me considering dimes are small in circumference and flat. "Dollop" is kind of a subjective word, in this case, I think. That's the advice given in the article. It sounds like it's not the answer you're looking for.
                      Maybe my question should be, will a little bit (thin) of sunscreen do any good?

Comment

Maybe my question should be, will a little bit (thin) of sunscreen do any good?
                        I can't answer that with any authority but I'd guess it's better than nothing esp. since you'll be inside most of the time. In your first post you mention your face. Since I do wear make-up (mostly just a tinted moisturizer, occasionally a light foundation) my personal preference is to use one with a min. 15 SPF. I'm guessing the amount to be approx. 1/8 tsp. If I'm going to the beach I use just Neutrogena w/helioplex (the sunblock gel, spf 45)...face to toe...liberally! I missed a few spots last week-end and ended up looking like a patchwork quilt!

Since you don't want a white tint or the feeling of cakiness, it sounds like finding the right product is more of an issue than the amount to use. Just my 2¢!

Comment

Since you don't want a white tint or the feeling of cakiness, it sounds like finding the right product is more of an issue than the amount to use. Just my 2¢!
                          Well said. Thanks.

Comment

Well said. Thanks.
                            Maybe check drugstores and dept. stores for free, one application samples.

Comment

Walk into the Pacific Ocean and then let the salt prisms dry upon you. Therefore the reflections from the sun will give you a perfect tan.

A good wash in fresh water will be needed later and of course, lots of aftersun lotion.
                              Please !!!! don't overdo it as I did and have to go for the calomine lotion.

Sun burn is painfull.

Comment

Working...
                              X