Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use sunscreen (sun tan lotion)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you use sunscreen? (sun tan lotion)

Originally posted by Barry View Post
    Walk into the Pacific Ocean and then let the salt prisms dry upon you. Therefore the reflections from the sun will give you a perfect tan.
    Barry, if you reread post #1, the OP indicates, twice, that sunscreen use does NOT involve the beach or tanning!
    A good wash in fresh water will be needed later and of course, lots of aftersun lotion.
    Beforesun lotion <g> is medically preferable!
    Please !!!! don't overdo it as I did and have to go for the calomine lotion.[...]
    Going to the beach without sunscreen/block even for a few minutes could be considered overdoing it, esp. in Hawaii. I've always tanned easily and still get a good tan with a #45 sunscreen. The difference in using it is I don't burn.

Comment

check out the may issue of instyle magazine (jennifer garner in a red dress on the cover). page 196 has an article titled, "how much is enough?" that shows you how much product to use to wash your face, add shine serum to your hair, how much undereye concealer to use...and how much sunscreen is a good amount for your face and body. according to the article, people generally use too much product too much facial serum, too much shampoo/conditioner, too much hair mousse). the exception is sunscreen--most people use too little.

looks like the proper amount of sunscreen to use on your face is about a quarter sized-dollop. i'd say make sure you put some on your neck, because your neck will show age before your face, and sun damage is a factor in the appearance of aging.

i've read in several sources that the proper amount of sunscreen to use all over your body is the amount that fits into a shot glass--a full ounce. from the skin cancer foundation:

To ensure that you get the full SPF of a sunscreen, you need to apply 1 oz – about a shot glass full. Studies show that most people apply only half to a quarter of that amount, which means the actual SPF they have on their body is lower than advertised. During a long day at the beach, one person should use around one half to one quarter of an 8 oz. bottle. Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply the same amount every two hours. Sunscreens should be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
      (source here also gives tips as to what sunscreen might be right for you.)

like tutusue, eric and i use the neutrogena ultra-sheer w/helioplex line even on days we'll be outdoors intermittently (like shopping or driving around town with the windows open). it doesn't smell obviously of sunscreen, has a matte finish and feels comfortable on the skin. we've used higher spf versions of the helioplex line for more active days in the sun and it does not drip into your eyes or make your skin itch as you start to sweat. for all these reasons, we thinking that though it's among the priciest of the drugstore brands, it's worth it.

aveeno continuous protection line has similar technology to helioplex.

if you're someone who uses other cosmetic products on your skin, note that it's best to put chemical-type sunscreens on first so they bind with your skin properly. (physical sunscreens are zinc oxide based and are the kind that cause the white cast on your face.)

now, that all said, for days we'll be indoors with very little sun exposure (like at work, when the only sun i get is when i walk into my building in the morning, walk out to get lunch and back, and then leave at the end of the day, when it's likely dark anyway), we both use neutrogena's healthy skin anti-wrinkle intensive spf 20 with helioplex. like the ultra sheer line, it applies with a matte finish that isn't smelly. besides the sun protection, it has retinol (an effective anti-aging ingredient) and hyaluronic acid (a really good moisturizing ingredient). it works well for both oily skin like mine and drier, sometimes flaky skin like eric's. before eric started using it, he started to develop crepey wrinkles around his eyes and on his forehead. they're much diminished now. i myself have practically no lines on my face.
      Last edited by cynsaligia; May 21, 2009, 09:02 AM.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
        The Neutrogena line is great. The tinted moisturizer I referred to in post #12 is Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer and is similar to yours, cyn. It's probably not for Eric, tho'!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          The Neutrogena line is great. The tinted moisturizer I referred to in post #12 is Neutrogena Healthy Skin Enhancer and is similar to yours, cyn. It's probably not for Eric, tho'!
          maybe in earlier days, back when he used to fake tan, it might have been! thankfully, that was before he met me. otherwise, i would have laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed and had a hard time convincing myself to date him.

i totally love neutrogena's products--great science at a good price (even better when on sale or purchased at nordstrom rack!). i credit them for my unlined face despite my mumble years. too bad i didn't start using moisturizer on my neck until i was in my mid-twenties. the difference is apparent.
          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I'm going to suggest 'Apres Sun,' which you can get in Honolulu.
            It contains Aloe Vera and the makers name is Topaz. Some of you may not know how quickly a white person's skin can burn ?
            Got the T Shirt.

Comment

I'm going to suggest 'Apres Sun,' which you can get in Honolulu.
              It contains Aloe Vera and the makers name is Topaz. Some of you may not know how quickly a white person's skin can burn ?
              Got the T Shirt.
              I'm familiar with Apres Sun. Are you suggesting the use of that product instead of pre-sun treatment with sunscreen/block?

I think most of us are aware of how quickly ANY person's skin can burn, regardless of color. The whiter the skin the more apparent and quicker it is. However, damage is damage; burn is burn. Neither plays favorites when it comes to color. Hence, the need for preventive treatment before heading outside!

Comment

I'm familiar with Apres Sun. Are you suggesting the use of that product instead of pre-sun treatment with sunscreen/block?

I think most of us are aware of how quickly ANY person's skin can burn, regardless of color. The whiter the skin the more apparent and quicker it is. However, damage is damage; burn is burn. Neither plays favorites when it comes to color. Hence, the need for preventive treatment before heading outside!

If you scroll back ? The pacific ocean is outside your door. It is mildly anti-sceptic and healing. I was suggesting a dip in that puddle, then a wash down with fresh water. Then a liberal treatment of Apres Sun.
                Of course anybodys skin will burn. I have black friends in Europe and they are prone to sun burn. All I can advise is calomine lotion.
                One black friend of mine got skin cancer on his forehead. That was in Jamaica last year. His treatment was successfull but even in this weather, he walks about in a Panama hat.

Comment

If you scroll back ? The pacific ocean is outside your door. It is mildly anti-sceptic and healing. I was suggesting a dip in that puddle, then a wash down with fresh water. Then a liberal treatment of Apres Sun.
                  Yes, I read that and that post is what prompted my question to you. I'll rephrase my question. Do you use a sunscreen/block BEFORE subjecting yourself to the sun's rays...at the beach or on a pineapple plantation? The "anti-sceptic and healing" ocean will not protect against a sunburn or sun induced skin cancer.
                  Of course anybodys skin will burn. I have black friends in Europe and they are prone to sun burn. All I can advise is calomine lotion.
                  One black friend of mine got skin cancer on his forehead.
                  How about advising sunblock prior to heading out into the sun in addition to Apres Sun after a shower? A former bf, an African-American doctor with a passion for sailing, always lathered on the sunblock PRIOR to heading outside and advised everyone he knew to do the same thing. That was free medical advice!
                  That was in Jamaica last year. His treatment was successfull but even in this weather, he walks about in a Panama hat.
                  Does he use sunblock in addition to the hat?

Barry, you've made your AFTER sun care very clear. Again, and at the risk of redundancy, what preventive measures do you take, regardless of which 'puddle' or which country, to avoid a sunburn in the first place? Tanning isn't the subject of this thread.

Comment

Of course I will tell you my secret. Hawaiin Tropic Number 15. It can be bought anywhere in Honolulu, but watch out ! It comes off when you have been in the ocean.

Don't get it in your eyes !!!!

Comment

I like the smell of that stuff but the SPF is waaaaayyyyyyyy too low!
                      I'm hooked on Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ with helioplex.It is ultra waterproof and ultra sweatproof I slather
                      it on for the daily dog walk and the daily pool session. For day to day I use
                      Lancome Absolue Hand on hands/arms and always have stuff on my face and
                      legs as well. I really like Lancome Bienfait Multi-vital SPF 25 around my
                      eyes daily as well. Whatever/wherever you do it use sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Of course I will tell you my secret. Hawaiin Tropic Number 15.[...]
                        Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                        You're so right, LL! There are much better options on the market now as sunscreen/block technology is much more advanced than it was a few, short years ago.
                        I'm hooked on Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ with helioplex.[...]
                        Bingo...that's one of 'em! You're the 3rd person, I believe, in this thread that swears by Neutrogena w/helioplex. And then there are the dermatologists who recommend it!
                        Whatever/wherever you do it use sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!
                        Exactly! And put it on before heading outside...not minutes or hours later!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
                          I'm hooked on Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ with helioplex.It is ultra waterproof and ultra sweatproof I slather
                          it on for the daily dog walk and the daily pool session. For day to day I use
                          Lancome Absolue Hand on hands/arms and always have stuff on my face and
                          legs as well. I really like Lancome Bienfait Multi-vital SPF 25 around my
                          eyes daily as well. Whatever/wherever you do it use sunscreen!!!!!!!!!!

LL, do you know how the ultimate sport differs from the ultra sheer? i read the labels on both and found them to be very similar. i honestly can't remember why i chose the sheer over the sport--seems arbitrary, in my memory. if there is a marked difference b/w the two that you know of, pls share. thx!

on a side note--tutusue, you have an abundance of patience that i endeavor to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                            LL, do you know how the ultimate sport differs from the ultra sheer? i read the labels on both and found them to be very similar. i honestly can't remember why i chose the sheer over the sport--seems arbitrary, in my memory. if there is a marked difference b/w the two that you know of, pls share. thx!
                            Do either you or LL notice an exfoliation effect with the products that contain helioplex? Both my daughter and I do and we like it! We use the gel vs. the lotion. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Just curious.
                            on a side note--tutusue, you have an abundance of patience that i endeavor to gain.
                            I subscribe to the theory that if you give someone enough rope............

Comment

OK, I avoided this, but:

I put some in my palms and apply liberally to my spouse and my kid.

Then I wipe my hands off.
                              Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                              ~ ~
                              Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                              Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                              Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Do either you or LL notice an exfoliation effect with the products that contain helioplex? Both my daughter and I do and we like it! We use the gel vs. the lotion. I wonder if that has something to do with it. Just curious.
                                it might be something in the gel, bcs i know it doesn't happen w/the cream. at least, not noticeably. *jealous* we use the following for exfoliation:

neutrogena oil free acne scrub (i like the grapefruit version bcs it smells so yummy. this is great for days when i can feel a zit coming or if i feel my face is extra grimey from makeup, sweat and/or environmental gunk.)

and

dermadoctor's physical chemistry. it's $75 for 1.7 ounces but eric and i have been using this for more than six months--twice a week each--and we're only 2/3 of the jar thru. it's been called "microdermabrasion in a jar." let's put it this way: i don't spend $$$$ on department store creams, but for this, i will make an exception. i don't want to bore everyone else with the details of this product but you can read the link.

i'm not sure the gel version of sunscreen will work for eric. as it is, he squinches his face to put on the neutrogena, as if it were the most unpleasant experience ever.

Comment

Working...
                                X