Where'd R defenders go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where'd R defenders go?

We used to have right wingers here that would fervently debate issues into the ground, no matter how wrong they might be. But we havn't seen hide nor hair of them in ages, or at least since the repubs went pedal to the metal straight off the extremists cliff in their loonymobiles. Maybe even they can't muster up a defense now for their blatantly unconscionable indefensibles? Must be a real bummer to be a devoted R right now.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Where'd R defenders go?

maybe God answered my prayers
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
      maybe God answered my prayers
      Could be, he sure ain't answering theirs!

Comment

Many of the past posters of the right-wing persuasion have made it clear that they do not enjoy many of the discussions here, because they felt they were heavily dumped upon by what they saw as a majority of more left-wing posters.

I cannot say whether or not they were accurate, but their perception cannot be discounted. As for being attacked - well, some of them gave as nasty as they got.

If I may bring mel's name into the conversation, he has made no secret of his conservative values, but I respect that he no longer wishes to be drawn into political battles in this forum, and generally just participates in threads that have no partisan nature to them (and I, for one, am grateful for his expertise, talent and skilled eye in photography-related threads).

Comment

Not to focus on mel, but I smell chicken, and not just because it's dinnertime.
          Funny/strange (not!) how a fringe minority with such unending oppressive, invasive, and all too often Biblically influenced sheriffery, can feel so shunned and/or dumped on. Poor them.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; March 1, 2012, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Perhaps it is more that HTers are turning into lurkers (or maybe dropping) due to a general weariness of being beat up online. Heck, there is even a thread going elsewhere where someone is called out for posting the same topic in two threads.
            Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Agree with Amati. I've said repeatedly that I'm further to the right on some issues than mel is; but since I'm not a Republican, maybe this thread's title doesn't really mean me.

But I will say, at the risk of offending some who are in the room, that the level of discourse has shifted downward. There is much more close-minded name-slinging and much less reasoned debate here than there used to be.

I've been offended by the national Republican party's moves these past couple of years and find myself leaning Democratic as a result, something that also offends me. But you know what? The quality and level of discussion by Democratic-leaning HTers is almost enough to send me the other way.

I know mel won't jump into this conversation, but while he has made his positions clear, I don't think ANY of his contributions can be qualified fairly as "oppressive" or "invasive," and I'd challenge anyone to find a written opinion from mel that even begins to qualify as "Biblically influenced sheriffery." The ease with which some of us throw these terms around without really engaging in the actual differences of opinion is what usually has me skipping these conversations, if conversations they can even be called.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I didn't have you or mel in mind re this thread. In fact I can't recall a post by either that would have merited such targeting.
                However, to even start equalling anything Dems say to the partisan insanity by many R's is unjustified, no comparison by light years.
                We're pretty civil here these days, and I would hope my input is able to be appreciated without undo offense. I try to make it obvious as to how it's to be taken.

Comment

I'm likely not alone in usually finding myself at a loss to imagine whatsoever the contents of your mind, Ron, your postings notwithstanding.
                  May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

And I've come to terms with the fact that it's just the way you like it. My day now is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
                      Perhaps it is more that HTers are turning into lurkers (or maybe dropping) due to a general weariness of being beat up online.
                      Then perhaps Admin should ban all discussions of religion and/or politics on HT? That would include rail, inter-island ferry, smoking ban, mayoral contests, and the price of tea in England.

If a poster makes a comment or opinion on any subject on HT they should expect to get counter comments or opinions (as I expect to get on this comment) without feeling like they are being "beat up." If someone has such a strong conviction about any topic to the point that they would post about it, they should be able to defend their position. Case in point is this subject posted by Ron Whitfield. I doubt the Ron is feeling "beat up" because some have posted an alternative opinion to his.
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                        We used to have right wingers here that would fervently debate issues into the ground, no matter how wrong they might be. But we havn't seen hide nor hair of them in ages, or at least since the repubs went pedal to the metal straight off the extremists cliff in their loonymobiles.
                        Not to focus on mel, but I smell chicken, and not just because it's dinnertime.
                        Funny/strange (not!) how a fringe minority with such unending oppressive, invasive, and all too often Biblically influenced sheriffery, can feel so shunned and/or dumped on. Poor them.
                        We're pretty civil here these days, and I would hope my input is able to be appreciated without undo offense. I try to make it obvious as to how it's to be taken.
                        Oh yeah, Ron. How anyone can find your characterizations of right-wingers to be offensive is one of the world's greatest mysteries.
                        Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 1, 2012, 11:56 PM.
                        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

We used to have right wingers here that would fervently debate issues into the ground, no matter how wrong they might be. But we havn't seen hide nor hair of them in ages, or at least since the repubs went pedal to the metal straight off the extremists cliff in their loonymobiles. Maybe even they can't muster up a defense now for their blatantly unconscionable indefensibles? Must be a real bummer to be a devoted R right now.
                          This is an unusual and fascinating election year. In a year when the Presidency seems vulnerable to change due to the President being half black, the persistence of a virtual economic depression, and the emergence and success of an ultra conservative movement in 2010 (the Teapublicans), the Teapublican Party finds itself disarrayed into so many many competing factions that they can't take advantage of that perceived opportunity. The final result of the General Elections is far from certain at this point since much can change between now and then. So I imagine that those more conservative members on HT are finding it hard to unite behind one candidate. And of course, typical HT posters find it more secure through safety in numbers, so that if conservatives cannot unite behind a single conservative candidate, they might find it hard to get any significant number of HT members to agree with their support for their particular candidate and therefore feel "beat up." Thus far, the single exception to this premise is Tunnl who doggedly supports his candidate. I salute Tunnl's loyalty to his candidate even though I personally don't support that candidate. Tunnl has the courage of his convictions in his candidate to state his opinions and I doubt he is feeling "beat up" at this time even though some disagree with him. I suspect that Tunnl might be feeling "beat up" because his candidate is not gaining any real traction on the national scene, other than a hard core group of around 15%, as Tunnl wanted and expected him to do. So what is there left to say?

Maybe some HT posters are feeling "beat up" or maybe they are just discouraged by a golden opportunity in the next general election and the party is so fragmented that no uniting conservative candidate has, or will emerge. Anyway, if the conservatives don't want to discuss politics at this time because they are outnumbered by those who have other opinions both liberal AND conservative, then that is fine. I believe they may become more vocal after the primaries are over and maybe they can "unite" with the Teapublican candidate. Hei ilo? Perhaps they will have the last laugh when the results of the general election are known.
                          Last edited by matapule; March 2, 2012, 12:25 AM.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                            Oh yeah, Ron. How anyone can find your characterizations of right-wingers to be offensive is one of the world's greatest mysteries.
                            When it comes to the worst of the worst of the all-time worst of my lifetime, I love making the truth really hurt.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            This is an unusual and fascinating election year. In a year when the Presidency seems vulnerable to change due to the President being half black, the persistence of a virtual economic depression, and the emergence and success of an ultra conservative movement in 2010 (the Teapublicans), the Teapublican Party finds itself disarrayed into so many many competing factions that they can't take advantage of that perceived opportunity.
                            In a new George Will column, he say's the R's should just forget about the Oval Office for '12 and focus on more attainable priorities like maintaining powers in congress. Obama is salivating over the cornicopia of campaign ad material he's been gifted, just in the GOP debates alone. The R's have been their own worst enemies, and that's saying something considering the immense harm they've constantly tried (and succeeded) to impose on the country with pathetic partisan antics for so long. This cycle started out being their's to lose, unjust to Obama as that is, and now dispite the rediculously intense hatred they've held so closely for him, the only way they can haul their butts out of the graves they've dug is to pull off a Bush/Rubio-like ticket at the 11th hour. As undeserving R's are to having any seat of power, they can still screw us all further with a win in Nov., but they seem determined to thwart all possibilities.

Tunnl's a guy?

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                              Then perhaps Admin should ban all discussions of religion and/or politics on HT? That would include rail, inter-island ferry, smoking ban, mayoral contests, and the price of tea in England. If a poster makes a comment or opinion on any subject on HT they should expect to get counter comments or opinions (as I expect to get on this comment) without feeling like they are being "beat up." .
                              Sorry I was not clear in my thoughts. I didn't mean "beat up" in terms of being at the losing end of a discussion. I meant "beat up" in how some posters thrive on pouncing on the "person" (ie name-calling, belittling, etc) instead of putting their focus on the issue. I know we are all probably guilty of it once in awhile, but there are certain HTers who just like to, well, be mean.

So some people get chased away. Life is too short to purposely visit cranky sites. (And some of us employ the "ignore feature".)
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X