Wait a Minute! Wahoo is CHEAPER?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait a Minute! Wahoo is CHEAPER?

The way the stories are written would lead one to believe that the important facts surround sixteen employees of Chicken of the Sea in American Samoa who packed wahoo in cans and labeled it tuna. This MSN story, like the AP blurb that ran in Sunday's Advertiser or Star-Bulletin (sorry; I read both in one sitting and can't remember which), says that wahoo is a cheaper fish caught in tuna nets and packed separately (which we in Hawaii already know). But the headline should really read, "WAHOO IS CHEAPER THAN TUNA," because anyone who's bought the cans of Van Camps wahoo would be very interested to know that! It's two to three bucks per can! And, really. It's good, but it's not three-bucks-a-can good!

But hold on a second. This story at EastWestCenter.org, reporting on the same case, says that the tuna was the cheaper fish and labeled wahoo instead! Can I get a witness, please!
    Last edited by scrivener; March 26, 2007, 01:31 AM. Reason: "just when you think you've got it down; you're heart's securely tied and bound..."
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Wait a Minute! Wahoo is CHEAPER?

I would think that depending on the type of ahi the wahoo(we call it ono) is more expensive.

Comment

I can tell you first hand seeing the fish that's landed on Shack Attack, which trolls off Oahu's south-east shores, that Ahi (Tuna) is landed much more commonly than Ono (Wahoo). Which would make you think Ono is more expensive, but it's not. Still, the most common fish landed by them is Mahimahi.

Based on FRESH Ono vs. ahi in the markets, Ahi is usually more expensive to due to demand. Of course, depends on the type of Ahi. Tombo (Albacore Tuna) is the type they use to can, and is usually the cheapest. Yellow fin second most expensive, and bigeye being the prime cut.

For grilled or deep fried (Fish 'n Chips) fish, Ono is my favorite. Ahi is the only fish I'll eat raw.

I bet ground meat such as hamburger (mystery meat) is mislabeled much more often than canned fish.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love Wahoo. I have a friend who was given a case and they gave it away because it was packed in oil and they didn't know what it was. awe! I wouldn't had minded if I were the recipient. And I shouldn't mind because they gave it to the Foodbank...but I told them I doubt it got to some hungry kids!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          And I shouldn't mind because they gave it to the Foodbank...but I told them I doubt it got to some hungry kids!
          There isn't much need to worry about the food going to those who don't need it - though it might not necessarily be children. The HFB runs a pretty tight organization and canned protein is one of the most needed items.

Comment

That's good to know, and I was just kidding anyway, Glossyp!!!

Wahoo is an amazing menu item. I open a can and dump it right on my salad and then either add red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. With tomatoes, capers and some cool, crisp, sweet onion slices, it's a wonderful lunch! At this point, I'm mulling it for dinner!

I buy it by the 8-pack at Sam's Club, one of the few reasons we retain the membership (that and Icee pops for the girls!).
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
            X