• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amati
    replied
    Re: The "Ignore List"

Memo to myself:

Remember to log-on to HT before reading the threads, because if I browse the threads as a "guest" (that is, not logged on), all postings will show up. But if I log on before browsing, then my ignore list functions.

Not logging on means not making use of a useful HT feature.

Leave a comment:

• Serenity
    replied

Originally posted by helen View Post
    when you place a user on your ignore list it does not prevent that user from posting to any thread in hawaiithreads. All the ignore list does is to temporary prevent you from seeing what that user has posted to the public subforums. I don't know the effect on the social groups or visitor messages but i do know if a user on your ignored list sends you a private message you will not recieve that message it nor is the user is notified about being on your ignore list.
    Thank God!!.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    When others quote the ignored person, it's still there for all to read.
    When you place a user on your Ignore List it does not prevent that user from posting to any thread in HawaiiThreads. All the Ignore List does is to temporary prevent you from seeing what that user has posted to the public subforums. I don't know the effect on the Social Groups or Visitor Messages but I do know if a user on your ignored list sends you a Private Message you will not recieve that message it nor is the user is notified about being on your Ignore List.

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
    I still have no one on an ignore list.
    I think over time I have gotten better at ignoring topics (or at least not posting my 2 cents) or even just not responding to a particular post of another's, if I don't feel it'll make a difference or just get my blood pressure up.

Of course in my own mind I can (just poke tongue, li'dat)
    Since I've now used this feature...
    I just realized something funny, in an irritating kinda way.
    When others quote the ignored person, it's still there for all to read.
    HaHa! Oh well. I can still just do what I was trying (posted) above.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    If I'm on someone's ignore list, am I still able to see their posts?
    The answer to that question is yes. It operates like the Contact list which is a one way thing and not the way the Friends is setup which require a confirmation.

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied
    i've only ever put one person on ignore list - those of you who were here during the "great wars", as Kaonohi put it, will know who & why. But, I figure since I can dish it out, it's only fair to be able to take it too. So, no matter how bad a person can be - I don't have an ignore list.

Helen - I'm curious. If I'm on someone's ignore list, am I still able to see their posts?

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

The following two quotes are from the thread titled Magnetic Anomaly - H-3:

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Here you go Now Frankie...can see your post.
    Originally posted by Kaonohi
    Thanks Craig, but if he has me on ignore he probably won't even see the whole thread, since I started it!
    This is incorrect. If user A places user B on their ignore list and user B creates a thread. That thread will be listed in the forum's index. When user A goes to that thread all post done by user B will have entries that say:

This message is hidden because user B is on your ignore list.
    Also on each post entry there is a link to view the hidden post and another link to remove the user from your ignore list.

Two more things I noticed when a user is on your ignore list:
    1. You view that hidden post, you can quote that message but the multi-quote button is not available on that view.
    2. In the index listing if you move your mouse over a thread that is started by an ignored user the text of that post does not show up.

Leave a comment:

• Menehune Man
    replied

I still have no one on an ignore list.
    I think over time I have gotten better at ignoring topics (or at least not posting my 2 cents) or even just not responding to a particular post of another's, if I don't feel it'll make a difference or just get my blood pressure up.

Of course in my own mind I can (just poke tongue, li'dat)

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

A few years ago we had some trolls. I put them on ignore. Other than trolls I've put only one member on ignore; a member who has since been banned. And, no, not Kimo55 or Manoa!!! The Ignore option does not prevent others from quoting the ignored person so that person's posts are still viewable to some degree.

I miss Maddy, too.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Back in my early days here, during the time of "the great wars," I considered putting some people on ignore - I think I even did for a day or so - then I realized that if I have to put someone on ignore to ignore them, it says more about me than it does about them.

K?

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

I have not examined the profile stuff since uploading my photo, nor do I wish to do so now, unless others' Ignore List information is available there. If I were on someone's Ignore List, I would appreciate a shout-out, preferably a system generated notification, so I could reciprocate and thereby avoid unwanted interaction.

I must humbly disagree with the admin position you quoted Helen. Hidden/silent Ignore Lists are counterproductive to the value of the forum, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

I also realize that if someone had set their display option to either Your Contacts or Your Friends, you won't be able to see that person's display option even through you are not on that person Ignore List.

Leave a comment:

• Amati
    replied

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    I may be way off-base (as far as I know I may be ON Amati's ignore list), but it sounds as if Amati is a tad more interested in self-pleasure than is healthy.
    I will take that as something good ... as in, I like to do things that bring pleasure into my life, and to avoid unnecessary unpleasurable things if possible. ["Unnecessary" is the key word, because I do realize that certain unpleasurable things are necessary - like a tooth filling.] As for some types of self-pleasurable things, well,

Originally posted by helen View Post
    You should check your User CP and look for Profile Privacy under the heading of Your Profile. There you could set one or all eight display options to "Registered Members". If so Guest and users on your ignore list won't see that option(s) displayed.
    So it is a way for a registered user to see if they are on someone's ignore list (because they won't be able to view that member's profile info)? Tricky.

Leave a comment:

• helen
    replied

Originally posted by Amati View Post
    [By the way, I tried to do a search for the topic of "Ignore List" before starting a new thread, but I guess I just have not gotten the hang of how to do an adequate search ... either nothing showed up, or else pages of threads showed up in the results. ]
    I can feel part of your pain here. I was trying to search for another thread that had discussed about the effects of receiving private messages from users who are on your ignore list and I just couldn't find it by searching the Front Desk sub-forum. I did finally find that thread (because it was in the Mixed Plate sub-forum) which is now tagged (and those other related threads) with ignore list and user cp.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
    It certainly would be instructive to know who's list one is on, eh? In fact, Ignore Lists should be a part of one's profile viewable by all.
    You should check your User CP and look for Profile Privacy under the heading of Your Profile. There you could set one or all eight display options to "Registered Members". If so Guest and users on your ignore list won't see that option(s) displayed.

It may save a considerable number of irrelevant or ineffective posts. By matching up Ignore Lists (you ignore me, I ignore you) we could all form closed clicks with little interaction between offending/offended 'tribe' members. Hmm...
    If you want to talk about the mechanics of the ignore list then fine but publicly discussing who is and who is not on your ignore list (or other users ignore list), I suspect is not a very good idea basing it from the quote below on another thread.

Originally posted by admin View Post
    If you're ignoring someone, just ignore them. Drawing attention to the fact that you're ignoring them is not ignoring them. And discussing having someone on your ignore list is really just inviting snarky ways to take a jab at someone, taking the low road to the high road, as it were.

Leave a comment:

• salmoned
    replied

I may be way off-base (as far as I know I may be ON Amati's ignore list), but it sounds as if Amati is a tad more interested in self-pleasure than is healthy.

It certainly would be instructive to know who's list one is on, eh? In fact, Ignore Lists should be a part of one's profile viewable by all. It may save a considerable number of irrelevant or ineffective posts. By matching up Ignore Lists (you ignore me, I ignore you) we could all form closed clicks with little interaction between offending/offended 'tribe' members. Hmm...

For the record, no one is on my Ignore List. Everyone's input [on threads I view] is of importance to me because I'm here to learn about you and hope you'll learn something about me whenever I reply.
    Last edited by salmoned; March 31, 2010, 09:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X