X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by helen
    To be honest, that post that you did would have been better off as a reputation to Glen. If you haven't done it yet, you should at your earliest possible convince.
    Man I'm trying REALLY hard not to write: LOL!

Comment

Some pathetic, anonymous (of course!) dweeb gave me cinnamon for this post, where I was agreeing with Menehune Man. WTF??
      If I don't know who left the chicklet and I don't know why she/he left it, then what's the point? Although I do have an idea who/why, and it has nothing to do with that particular post ...

Anonymous losers ... go figure. <shrug>

Comment

How would it be if we used this thread to address our detractors and their anonymous red rep comments? No quoting the comment, just a response if warranted. The beneficiary should know who they are. I strive to be earnest here an the feeling I'm either misunderstood or being misconstrued doesn't set well with me.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          How would it be if we used this thread to address our detractors and their anonymous red rep comments? No quoting the comment, just a response if warranted. The beneficiary should know who they are. I strive to be earnest here an the feeling I'm either misunderstood or being misconstrued doesn't set well with me.
          Communication isn't just based on the written word but also on body language, facial expressions, voice inflections, yada, yada. This is where the internet will always fall short unless everyone uses a web cam! Emoticons, smilies and LOLs are so over used it's hard to know if someone is just trying to soften a stinging statement or that statement was actually meant to be funny. I know what you mean, tho'.

Awarding reputation points in HT offers the option of "I approve" or "I disapprove". There are very, very few posts in HT that I disapprove of. There are many I disagree with. There's a huge difference between those 2. I haven't 'gifted' (lol!!!) any red chiclets yet but if/when I do it will be for something I disapprove of...not disagree with.

Comment

• I disagree with the reputation feature

1) Under the current system, you only let people with "positive reputations" contribute to reputation scores. This is unfair to those of us who happen to be more controversial and who like controversy.
            2) The whole idea of a "reputation" system is silly anyway. People target individual comments and, since controversy often begets negative reputation scores, it contributes towards making this a dull board. True, I don't want a mean-spirited board, but it would be livelier if people didn't keep getting slapped in the face for asking controversial questions or adding to controversy.
            3) I am not flaming. I am not trying to flame. I just like to have a say, just like everyone else has around here. I feel that there are more constructive ways to deal with complaints and auwes then to slap folks with bad grades on their report cards - i.e., explain to the folks being graded why they think negatively.
            4) Also, I recommend complaints about comments on this board be voiced more openly, and I would like it made strongly clear that "reputation" scores are not referenda on the posters themselves, but on individual comments made by those posters. Thank you for listening.

Comment

• Re: I disagree with the reputation feature

you are invited to leave then if you find the Ht format disagreeable.
              OR..
              create your own board and make yer own rules.
              Originally posted by Rickyrab
              1) Under the current system, you only let people with "positive reputations" contribute to reputation scores. This is unfair to those of us who happen to be more controversial and who like controversy.
              uuhh.
              waidaminnit...
              all those who believe Kimo may fit into that group, raise your hands.

uh, ok, theory misproven, rickster...

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                uuhh.
                waidaminnit...
                all those who believe Kimo may fit into that group, raise your hands.

uh, ok, theory misproven, rickster...
                Oh, so it's only mainlanders with controversial attitudes that make red squares? Isn't that unfair and ethnocentric (location centric, 'ainacentric, whatever)?

Comment

Oh, so it's only mainlanders with controversial attitudes that make red squares? Isn't that unfair and ethnocentric (location centric, 'ainacentric, whatever)?

I've had a few red chicklets and I live in Hawaii Kai. I don't know why you have yours, but I didn't get mine because I don't live in Hawaii. I don't think anyone has that criteria. Really!
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This is unfair to those of us who happen to be more controversial and who like controversy.
                    If this is the mindset with which you approach conversations in this community, then you have to expect that you're going to garner more negative responses than your average user. I don't begrudge anyone, to a point, for enjoying stirring up the pot, but you can't cry foul if others don't want to play.

And our dear Kimo - no stranger to controversial or provocative opinions and posts - was probably one of the first to live briefly in "red square" land, and he was a regular! So the system is not picking on you for who you are, or where you're from. Just what you say.
                    I would like it made strongly clear that "reputation" scores are not referenda on the posters themselves, but on individual comments made by those posters.
                    Except that they are "referenda on the posters themselves." Reputation scores are built from responses to individual posts, yes, but don't sweat or nitpick individual reputation marks from other users on individual posts. There will always be the pointless prop or petty ding. The overall score is what matters, and they generally reflect how a poster is received overall.

You strike me as an intelligent and an articulate person, so I don't expect you to have a negative reputation for long... so long as your primary motive for being a part of our community is conversation, and not controversy.

Comment

I aim more for conversation than for controversy; the controversy is there to make the conversation interesting (in my viewpoint).

Comment

Interesting, that after all this time, the poll results are still less in favor of the reputation system than for it. I just took a look.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Silently waits in the sidelines to give couple of Whack Whacks!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

that was meant to be a positive whack!

Comment

that was meant to be a positive whack!
                              well, it came out grey. there's no positive whack. a whack is a whack!

Auntie Lynn

sorry, can not take back.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What a load of crap. "Ooooh, it's unfair." What are you, 25 years old? Please look back at the "controversial" comments regulars here have made. Yes, sometimes a so-called "controversial" comment will get a red mark. Big fucking deal. More often than not, in my and others' experiences, a perfectly benign remark or humorous comment will get a red mark. Most of us take it as a badge of honor, not something to whine about.

I'm irritated by people who thing they're "controversial" and use that self-designation as an excuse for other peoples' reactions to them. Yes, maybe people react to you the way they do because you're "controversial." Or maybe it's because you're an "asshole." Or because they "disagree with you." Or because they think you're an "idiot."

Look, honey, I've gotten a lot of red marks for what I like to think are the same reasons you like to think: I'm too controversial. I'm ahead of my time. They just don't get it. I'm soooo smart. Whatever. But it's all bullshit. I'm not smarter than anyone else. I'm not more controversial than anyone else. My opinions aren't more "out there" than anyone else's. Anyone older than 30 knows that. Patience, dear.

It's a teeny little red chicklet. It is, in fact, something to be proud of. Dig it, live with it, adore it.

Comment

Working...
                                X