X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Originally posted by Kilinahe
    Where am I going with this? I don't know. The little red gums don't matter, I guess. And if they matter to you, maybe try and see things from someone else's point of view before you say something hateful.
    Thank you for proving my point. Most people who use the term "hateful" actually mean "something I disagree with." Because they (usually liberals) can't tolerate a different viewpoint, they fall back on the old "you're being hateful" copout.

I'll bet you think I'm being "hateful" right now.
    Last edited by MadAzza; January 31, 2006, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
      You too? I got my first ever red chicklet for my post under that thread also! I don't mind the chicklet, but I do mind the fact that there's no explanation for why my post was not liked. As others have already pointed out, it's difficult to take criticism that's lobbed at you from a hidden source--I can't tell if it's legitimate criticism or just sour grapes for some unknown reason, since there's no explanation given for the red chicklet. Why, oh tell me why!!!! Oh, the humanity!!! How can I become a better HT member without a clue as to what I did "wrong?" Sob. Does anybody have an extra tissue? Sniff...

All I can do is guess at the reason for my red chicklet...did someone think me too harsh for responding to a newbie in the way that I did? Am I accused of going off-topic since I didn't address the original question, and--oh, horrors--even included a link to a different thread that also didn't have to do with the original thread question? Is somebody mad that I don't watch the local news? Is it all part of a vast government conspiracy involving aliens trying to take over the earth? (Cue X-Files music.)

Up until this point I've read the posts under this reputation thread with interest. To keep or not to keep the reputation system--there are strong arguments for both sides. I myself have mixed feelings. Of course I'm laughing at the fact that I've kept out of the fray of this discussion until I "earned" my first red chicklet of ire. (Ah haa!!! That must be it! Someone gave me a red chicklet, knowing that now I'd HAVE to mention it on the reputation thread! Man, how'd they know??? Those aliens, they're too good.) Woo hoo--I feel like a real member now.
      Don't blame da "Lemurians!"

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mel, I still have absolutely no idea why you're being so over-the-top about this manini reputation nonsense -- you have the 16th best reputation of any of the 2,000+ members!!! You're in the "pillar of the community... 1,000+ reputation points" category.
        So what the heck is the problem?!?!???

I've always respected you, so in that spirit I have to tell you that your fixation on this silly reputation business seems similar to Ivan's multi-year fixation with easy-listening music.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
          easy-listening music.
          So, why IS "easy-listening music" so hard to listen to?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            Thank you for proving my point. Most people who use the term "hateful" actually mean "something I disagree with." Because they (usually liberals) can't tolerate a different viewpoint, they fall back on the old "you're being hateful" copout.

I'll bet you think I'm being "hateful" right now.
            Props to Kilinahe for at least signing his name along with the red chicklet he gave me for this post. (If it's not *he*, I apologize.)

Comment

How do you know the reputation you got from so-and-so is actually from so-and-so not from someone else posing as so-and-so?

Comment

...wuz it from YOU?

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                  How do you know the reputation you got from so-and-so is actually from so-and-so not from someone else posing as so-and-so?
                  I don't. Another flaw in the system.

Comment

Seems to me if you think that's the case, couldn't you ask Ryan to investigate, since he has access to that information? If he found someone to be abusing the system by posing as someone else, he could take action.

And if he were constantly bombarded with requests to investigate such activities, might he be more inclined to eliminate the system altogether?

Mel - care to test this theory?

Comment

And that is another thing wrong with the anonymous nature of the reputation system. It allows people to leave a square and forge someone else's user name to it. Again the accountability thing comes into play here.... or the serious lack of.

Get rid of the system or let users opt out. It is that simple.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        Get rid of the system or let users opt out. It is that simple.
                        I totally agree! The positive comments can be fun while the negative ones can be outright nasty. I want out, please? I don't care about my Reputation rating. what difference in the world does that make?

If someone wishes to make a private comment, they may do so through messages and that way positive or negative the recipiant knows who sent it. Cool yeah?!
                        Last edited by Menehune Man; February 1, 2006, 06:30 PM. Reason: Add more of course...
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                          Mel, I still have absolutely no idea why you're being so over-the-top about this manini reputation nonsense -- you have the 16th best reputation of any of the 2,000+ members!!! You're in the "pillar of the community... 1,000+ reputation points" category.
                          So what the heck is the problem?!?!???
                          Still looking forward to a response to the above, please...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            That's the part that worries me. As much as I think the reputation system is more trouble than it's worth, AND even knowing that Mel & I are probably not occupying similar spaces on the political spectrum, I truly fear the feeling that he can be silenced because of the silly little gum things.
                            I already feel silenced. I never once posted anything I didn’t believe held water. It was only because someone in the room disagreed with what I said that I was awarded the dubious cinnamon gum. Now I feel like I’m on a television show. What can I do to get higher ratings?

It’s degenerated into a Wrigley’s commercial. Some of us get more Big Red than Spearmint. But who’s to say which one is fresher?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Auwe!

This thread took me over 3 hours to read through. And what did I get out of it? Well, for one, the only person who even seems to come close to knowing what the rep system entails mathmatically, is helen. Her alone understands the system. I'd be willing to bet that the Admin doesn't know as much as she does about the science behind it. Helen, to you I give you a bow. Congratulations on explaining this wicked reputation system. Don't we all know that the Devil is in the details? (Perhaps I'm too tired to be posting but...) I see a lot of people disgruntled over this sytem, lotsa posturing, prancing and pricking at the manini details, the woes and the weaknesses and how it's going to destroy their HT life.

So where's the aloha, eh? I know that one of the few places in the world where you can feel the Aloha Spirit is in Hawaii. No other place in the entire world can boast that. Even off island across the deep expanse that is cyberspace, those of us roots radical Hawaiianz know and can feel the power of the aina flowing through our veins, breathing life into everything we do AND say. I think perhaps we need to just contemplate how the reputation system can make the Aloha Spirit shine or be tarnished. Get plenny peepz from all over the world looking, reading, judging what the Hawaiianz here are saying. We have our own pride, our own mana we need to show. All this bickering over a system that should be used to demonstrate our Aloha Spirit is instead demonstrating why we need to look into ourselves and be Hawaiian, Live Aloha.

I voted against the Reputation System. Why? Well, because perhaps in the absense of it we'll be able to focus on this virtual hale that Ryan (Mahaloz brah!) has made for us. Shouldn't this message board represent the Aloha Spirit. Some of us no longer live in Hawaii so we seek places out in cyberspace that make us feel that much closer to home, to the Aloha Spirit, alive in all of us. What would happen if two siblings were fighting over a toy and couldn't agree to share? Why, my modda would just take em away from BOTH of us. Perhaps the Rep System needs to be looked at a little closer. What does it achieve? Is it Aloha? Let's not forget where we came from. Whether you Hawaiian by blood, or by heart, Live Aloha.

Mahalo Nui Loa,
                              Chris

Wow, this thing wasn't even posted for 30 minutes and someone gave me a negative {-24} rep for it. I guess someone is "anti-Aloha Spirit" Oh, well, it only proves my point. How sad. Ryan, you gotta step up and punish abuse. My post wasn't against forum rules, nor was it out of line or off topic. And to whoever it was that did it, I forgive you. Just remember bitterness eats you from the inside out, so if you're bitter outwardly, it just means you're hollow on the inside.
                              Last edited by bizzyb0t; February 3, 2006, 02:31 AM. Reason: FYI
                              The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                Some of us get more Big Red than Spearmint. But who’s to say which one is fresher?
                                Hey, gum can be bad for some people altogether - so don't have any, if it disagrees with you.

I've said it before - I think the rep system should be removed (I voted against it long ago), but as long as it remains, just play with it as a cheap-o toy, and don't give it any real weight to your life.

If an anonymous horoscope in the newspaper said "you are a bad person," how much value would you place on that? Then, subsequent horoscopes alternated between praising you and ripping you a new one - when would you just stop reading the horoscopes altogether? So, ignore the gum, too.

Comment

Working...
                                X