This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Reputation?

Nicely writ, Chris - good to see a newbie perspective that's not so "newbie" after all.
    Originally posted by bizzyb0t
    Wow, this thing wasn't even posted for 30 minutes and someone gave me a negative {-24} rep for it.
    Looks like you've had several greenies to balance it out since then, however; that's how the game is played.

Comment

Most likely Helen gave him the greens!

btw: I'm da one who gave da red!

And I ain't NO Anti-Aloha either!

Auntie Lynn

wat? anybody calling me out? I waiting. I one Tita!
      Last edited by 1stwahine; February 3, 2006, 08:36 AM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        As you got every right to do. Just curious, did you include any "why" comments as guidance, so he'll know what you disagreed with?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          As you got every right to do. Just curious, did you include any "why" comments as guidance, so he'll know what you disagreed with?
          Wuz two someting in da morning and wat I wanted to say wouldn't fit in. I have my reasons. If he really wants to know I'll PM him. As you stated it's my right. The whole system sucks and it is abused.

Leo, my comment about anyone calling me out wasn't directed at you.

Aloha,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

I figured it wasn't, but thanks anywhoo. (I know how to respect a tita!)

Comment

I've said it before - I think the rep system should be removed (I voted against it long ago), but as long as it remains, just play with it as a cheap-o toy, and don't give it any real weight to your life.
              I also voted for its removal, but to say, "don't give it any real weight to your life" is not really feasible, especially in here with those green or red chiclets right there in plain sight for everyone to see on each and every one of our posts. It's like asking Auntie to wear a pair of Groucho Marx eyeglasses, go out in the world and don't let any reactions she might receive from other people bother her. How long do you think it would take people to start receiving WHACK WHACKS from her? People will form preconceived notions based on appearances alone, and like it or not, those reputations colors do just that, and is why it's so upsetting and unsettling for certain people.
              If an anonymous horoscope in the newspaper said "you are a bad person," how much value would you place on that? Then, subsequent horoscopes alternated between praising you and ripping you a new one - when would you just stop reading the horoscopes altogether? So, ignore the gum, too.
              Again, I don't think ignoring the gum is possible with everyone having them pinned to their sleeves like badges on each and every post we make. I think that while the reputation system will not be going away any time soon, a fair compromise might be to have those chiclets relocated elsewhere -- perhaps to the inside of our clickable profiles -- instead of being displayed on each and every one of our posts, although I don't think this message board's software will allow it.

Comment

If the rep system is "just a game" I vote to eliminate it. Most of the "who cares?!" group are in the what I would deem the "untouchable rep" category anyway.

"So what! Just ignore it!" ... Well for me, the red square is hard to swallow especially if you're trying to be a positive and contributing member on the board.

I dunno, to me some of the reps don't jibe with the member they are attached too. I see some who are positive contributors how can't seem to buy another green square on there label... then there are "pillars of the community" who most often have mere sweet nothings to say when posting on threads.

Comment

Most likely Helen gave him the greens!
                  When I first saw bizzyb0t message this morning I want to but I couldn't because I already awarded 10 reputations in a 24 hour period. And because I was ready to go to some where else I couldn't post my reply to it.

I just gave him a postive reputation for 2 reasons. First of all he read through the entire thread, the other for the way he presented his views. I do disagree with some stuff he said but I do approve of the way he presented himself in that note.

And I ain't NO Anti-Aloha either!

wat? anybody calling me out? I waiting. I one Tita!
                  As far as I am concerned you don't owe anyone any explaination as to why you gave bizzyb0t a negative reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                    It's like asking Auntie to wear a pair of Groucho Marx eyeglasses, go out in the world and don't let any reactions she might receive from other people bother her.
                    Can I just say, I really want to see the pictures of that?
                    Originally posted by lurkah
                    a fair compromise might be to have those chiclets relocated elsewhere -- perhaps to the inside of our clickable profiles -- instead of being displayed on each and every one of our posts, although I don't think this message board's software will allow it.
                    Or, as Mel noted, allow people to "opt out," something that the message board software does allow.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                      "So what! Just ignore it!" ... Well for me, the red square is hard to swallow especially if you're trying to be a positive and contributing member on the board.
                      I have been getting negative reputation from time to time. Most of them have no comments to them, so then I re-read the post that was award the negative reputation. One or two of them I know I should have worded it better. The rest I have no idea why someone would disappove of it. After a while I just say to myself you can't please all of the people all of the time and I just move on with my HawaiiThreads life. As long as one person gives me one uncommented negative reputation on one post that I made I am not going to lose sleep over it. However if I get like five or more negative reputations on one post then whatever I said in that post crossed some kind of line.

Comment

Wuz two someting in da morning and wat I wanted to say wouldn't fit in. I have my reasons. If he really wants to know I'll PM him. As you stated it's my right. The whole system sucks and it is abused.

Aloha,

Auntie Lynn
                        Hmmm..........

Send me the PM... No need preamble. But of course, I'd already mentioned posturing in my post

I knew my post was going to ruffle feathers. It's about a touchy subject, no? I was just trying to share a different perspective on what I saw and read in this thread. Perhaps I should've watered my post down - but that's just not my style. Of course, my interpretation of the rep system was not to show you disagree with my opinion but whether I was posting in a matter that was postive or negative. Of course what you had to say in a reply at the time wasn't worth the effort, so just click the scale and give me the unz. Then you take it personal about the edited in comment. I had no clue whatsoever who was the individual who gave me the "red chiclet" but my edited in comment was just too good to resist. Guilty conscience is one major pain, I know.

No give titas a bad name! You cannot take the moral high-ground when you're ankle deep in mud.

Aloha,
                        Chris
                        The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Comment

Nicely writ, Chris - good to see a newbie perspective that's not so "newbie" after all.

Looks like you've had several greenies to balance it out since then, however; that's how the game is played.

Thanks ah brah! Good to know. I was hoping for more discussion concerning my viewpoint - as I still think it's valid but....aahhh....I-dunno, perhaps I went too far? I know I'm new hear, perhaps I seemed ignorant. If so, I deserved the unz. Although, an explanation would've been nice. Constructive critcism is never a bad thing. And the rep system isn't just black&white. Get one third option... NO CLICK THE SCALE! But if you do, I think the comments segment shouldn't be left blank. The good chicklets without comments, are kind like coming out of the shower and finding one hot and fresh breakfast and you don't know where it came from. A surprise but a pleasant one though. Getting one unz, is kinda like walking down the street and someone throw one rock at your head and you turn around and you no can see who did um. Ouch that hurt and on top of that you stay confused. Wouldn't be so confusing if the rock had one piece paper with one note that said why you got one lump on your head. You still don't know who but at least you get one idea why.

Maybe my notions and my views are totally screwed, and I'm totally clueless about just what this rep system is and what it's purpose TRULY is meant for. One thing it's good for is to make you scratch your head and go, "Heh?"

All good fun and great fuel for discussion in any case.

Aloha,
                          Chris
                          The old grey donkey, Eeyore stood by himself in a thistly corner of the Forest, his front feet well apart, his head on one side, and thought about things. Sometimes he thought sadly to himself, "Why?" and sometimes he thought, "Wherefore?" and sometimes he thought, "Inasmuch as which?" and sometimes he didn't quite know what he was thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzyb0t
                            No give titas a bad name! You cannot take the moral high-ground when you're ankle deep in mud.

Aloha,
                            Chris
                            You are but a Newbie. Wet behind da OKOLE!(must be hauna) I ain't wasting my precious time ova you. My ankle is more deeper in mud. I've been in deep Shit before and got out ~ and proud of it! I'm a Proud TITA living in Hawai'i nei!!

L.V.

Comment

You are but a Newbie. Wet behind da OKOLE!(must be hauna) I ain't wasting my precious time ova you. My ankle is more deeper in mud. I've been in deep Shit before and got out ~ and proud of it! I'm a Proud TITA living in Hawai'i nei!!

L.V.
                              See now didn't that feel better than just sending some red gum? Up front and real. Of course we're not all going to agree on everything on HawaiiThreads but I think it's best to keep it out in the open, how about the rest of you? Do you agree?
                              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                                See now didn't that feel better than just sending some red gum? Up front and real. Of course we're not all going to agree on everything on HawaiiThreads but I think it's best to keep it out in the open, how about the rest of you? Do you agree?
                                It sure did.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X