Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Originally posted by pzarquon
    It is? Wow. My grandmother's name was Irene, and she took Ilani as the derivation (and gave it to my mother as a middle name!). Ailina certainly sounds like a more direct transliteration.
    Oh, cool. Your mother is a second-generation "Irene," then, like me. "Ilani" is pretty. Wouldn't it literally mean "by heaven" or something similar? MUCH nicer than "A`ilina of the Grave!!!"

(I haven't told my mother yet. I'm betting she won't be very mortified, but I have yet to introduce myself to a native speaker. !!)
    ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina

MUCH nicer than "A`ilina of the Grave!!!"
      From Keola Donaghy's online Hawaiian dictionary:
      Grave: "1. Burial. Hē, lua kupapa'u, ilina."
      There still might be hope for you yet.

Comment

Das my real name! Mom asked grandma for a Hawaiian name that begins with P. Grandma then named me Pikake. I often go by Jasmine and most Filipinos call me Sampagita (no joke)

Comment

I've used this name (IslandSoljah) as my reply email tag when I first got assigned to the Mainland to support the U.S. Army Reserve here in the Pacific Northwest. The name accurately represents where I'm from and what I currently do.

GFB Always.
          Go For Broke Alumnus - 1991 to 1999
          Supporting the U.S. Army Reserve in the Pacific Northwest.
          www.goarmy.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            How did you settle on it, and what significance or meaning does it have for you?

In the late eighties and early nineties, my handle was Proginoskes, after a character in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wind in the Door. Just before I got out of college, I changed it to Scrivener--it seemed more in keeping with who I'd become online.

In the days before photocopiers, legal documents that had to be duplicated were hand-copied by people called scriveners. Literally, a scrivener is someone who writes. I took the name from Herman Melville's Bartleby the Scrivener, a story I hate but a title I love.

So where'd you get yours?
            chiming in late:

to pua'i mana'o is to give feedback or brainstorm. I like the sense of purpose of it. I've gotten to a place in my life where I don't want to talk for the simple sake of talking. I like to learn and I like to share.

pax

Comment

Radio voice - worked in radio (as well as other music gigs - producer, performer, promoter, programmer) since 1976.

Comment

I was going for clever in using a common abbreviation for my home (though I've always preferred *Nor* Cal) in a Hawaii context, but now I'm not sure people would read it as "Noke ul" Boy. Oh well.

I was originally going to go with "Almost Local" but I didn't want to sound presumptuous.

Comment

poipndr abbreviated for pounding poi or slang word for kanaka or hawaiian.

Comment

FLHaole - just that - caucasian chick, in Florida. I have read some accounts of this word "haole" originating from the term "ghost" or "breathless". However, I have read accounts on this not being so. (Language encyclopedias)
                    A friend, from Hawaii, calls me this, in a joking manner and I take it all in fun - because it is the truth.

Comment

It's a typo of Tutu Sue, a moniker given me at the newsgroup soc.culture.hawaii (or maybe it was a Hawaii based email list...can't remember!). Anyway, when I announced the birth of my first grandchild to that group back in 1997, one of the readers announced "Congratulations Tutu Sue!". Now, even my clients call me that, especially the younger ones. And even some of the older ones.

Comment

Gypsy because I've lived in more places then most. I've moved around a lot is an understatement. Lika is just a nickname from way back when.
                        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

My real first name, given to me by my late grandmother's sister.

Pomai is an abbreviation of Pomaika'i. A Hawaiian biblical name which is used frequently in the book of Psalms and also the 10 commandments.

Pomaika'i translates to "God's blessing", "to be blessed", "fortunate" or "good fortune", depending on the context that it's used.

Whether I live up to my name's meaning.. well that's a whole nother story.

For anyone who may ask if I have Hawaiian blood? Yes, about 1/4. The rest a mixture of three European ethnicities (most people say I look hapa).

Was gonna' use my "HaynKikaida" handle from the old HRTV board, but Mel kinda' inspired me with his simple "this is my name" approach.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Mine is just a combination of two childhood nicknames.

Comment

Pakala is the area on Kauai where my family home is. One of its meanings is "a sunny place". I liked that enough to also register it as a domain name.
                              I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message!

Comment

"IslandStyle" - Best song from Hawaiian native John Cruz. Also describes how I've lived... Slow and relaxed, laid back appreciating everything in life as I go through it day by day.

Comment

Working...
                                X