Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where'd You Get Your HawaiiThreads Name?

I'm boring. I shortened my real name (Richard R.) and came up with "Rickyrab".

Comment

In my first year of college at UH-Hilo, I took Hawaiian language. My kumu gave me the name Kilinahe.

Comment

I'm an old guy, used to be a typesetter by trade, who likes blues music, especially from "That Little Ole Band From Texas," ZZ Top.

Blend the two together, ZZ and Type and you get ZZ Type.

Which also happens to be the name of my freelance business dating to sometime back in the 1980s!

Aloha,

Blaine
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Mine is my young son's given Christian name. It is the colloquial/phonetic spelling of how someone British might pronounce "Saint John" being "John the Baptist".
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
          http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
            chiming in late:

to pua'i mana'o is to give feedback or brainstorm. I like the sense of purpose of it. I've gotten to a place in my life where I don't want to talk for the simple sake of talking. I like to learn and I like to share.
            Everytime I think about the kaona for "pua'i mana'o", I can't help but laugh. However, I won't tell if you don't.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
              Everytime I think about the kaona for "pua'i mana'o", I can't help but laugh. However, I won't tell if you don't.
              i hope u not tinking da kine "kau yook" time.

Comment

Hey! My name is "pua'i mana'o", not "lua'i mana'o".

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                  Hey! My name is "pua'i mana'o", not "lua'i mana'o".
                  "Pua'i" can be a more prosaic way of saying "lua'i." The kaona for "pua'i mane'o" is pretty entertaining as well.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

"Pua'i" can be a more prosaic way of saying "lua'i." The kaona for "pua'i mane'o" is pretty entertaining as well.
                    noooooyooouuuuneevvaa!

pax

Comment

I got mine from my name for a different website. Also I know the person who has backwoodlessons.
                      backwoodlessons2

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
                        Meh. Not so interesting a history here. "A`ilina" is my given middle name, by which I've always been addressed.

One interesting thing--"A`ilina" is the Hawaiian derivative of "Irene," my mother's name, but in Hawaiian, it TRULY means "grave" or "cemetery!" Agh!!
                        LOL. No offense. But I had no idea that it can also mean that!

That's funny, because out of the blue in my head, I came up with the name Ailina, but that's because of a Gaelic word that coincindently means "beautiful" or "lovely"!

Anyone here ever come across this phenomenon before? The phenomenon where there's literally a name meaning clash, because of a word in another language having a similar spelling and pronounciation?
                        Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; November 7, 2005, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Anyone new here who may want to share?

Scroll back and you'll find many of us HT regulars' say on this.

Mahalo in advance!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            Anyone new here who may want to share?

Scroll back and you'll find many of us HT regulars' say on this.

Mahalo in advance!
                            Hello. I stay tryin to write some stuff on the post. im new and every time i come to this site it says forum closed. How can i write something to get some feedback?

Comment

Aloha!

My usual handle for everything is pele5474 but I wanted to be respectful of those who may take offense at my hommage to the volcano goddess. I chose that because I've been described as fiery and a strong woman so I felt a kinship.

My handle here is because my husband and I hope to move to Kauai in the future. We love the locals and have made some friends there that we treasure. While we don't live there yet, we do donate to the Kauai Humane Society and the Kauai Food Bank as well as buy from the mom and pop shops there so that we can support our future community. We pick up trash and recycle while there as well to keep our future home clean and green.

Comment

When I was a little girl growing up, my father was very strict. I couldn't go out to play or have any friends to come over and play with me. So my best friend, till today, would call me "Lisheous" from my bedroom window. She gave me that nickname. LOL!

I didn't want my father to hear her calling me from outside, so I would sneak out, to go and play with her and sneak back into the house. He never found out, it happened several times. LOL! Till today my dad don't know me by this nickname.

Edited to correct spelling.
                                Last edited by Lisheous; January 3, 2006, 03:29 AM.
                                Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

Working...
                                X