Aloha from the other side of the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from the other side of the world

This one's coming from Wesel, a town on the river Rhine, near the Netherlands. I'm a choirdirector etc. as you can read in my profile. Cool, that there's a forum on the topic of Hawai'i. I'm hoping to learn a lot about the history, culture and language. And just to throw the fire in the cornfield (or maybe not) I wonder, why Richard Gere is so obsessed with 'Free Tibet', when he could easily stay in de U.S. and go for the public with 'Free Hawai'i'. Wouldn't it be great; the Royal Family back in charge, like in some other Polynesian countries? Mr. Gere could really make a difference there! (That'll do for the cornfield I guess...)

No, I'm not mad, I'm not bad, I'm a catholic, and proud of it.

Mahalo nui loa for reading,

Quintus (or mostly written as Q, you know, like on Star Trek Next Generation?)

Re: Aloha from the other side of the world

No, no, Quintas...not 'cornfield', but 'canefield', as in sugarcane (which are actually burned before harvesting).

PS Welcome
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Quintas and welcome. Although I've been to Hawai'i several times and worked there, there are many more members who can give you better advice about the culture etc.

Comment

Well, folks, actually it's Quintus, with a -u-, and not Quintas. Quintus means number five, or something like that. That's my name I work under as a choir director.

Comment

Originally posted by Quintus View Post
          Well, folks, actually it's Quintus, with a -u-, and not Quintas. Quintus means number five, or something like that. That's my name I work under as a choir director.

Sorry if I've mispelt your name Quintus

There has never been a queue outside my door asking me how to spell something.

Comment

Welcome to HT, Quintus (reminds me of my high-school days, when I took two years of Latin - good luck finding that in public schools in the U.S. now!) "Quintus" is the Latin ordinal version of "five," so technically it means "fifth" in English.

When I first saw your introductory post, I thought you were going to be posting from Australia ... your nom de board made me think of the airline, QANTAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              your nom de board made me think of the airline, QANTAS!

Nope. Since I'm blessed with Asperger (another Aspergian with an attitude!) I need a freeroom to find myself. As a choir director I can. So I've given me this name; Quintus N. Sachs. N. Sachs stands for Niedersachsen (German) or Nedersaksen (Dutch). That's a lingual family in the northern part of Germany (Westphalia and almost everything farther north, except Brandenburg/Berlin) and the eastern part of the Netherlands, starting a few kilometres north to the Rhine. So it's a pretty big piece of land, where several Low-Saxon dialects are spoken (and written).

Quintus, because a quint is a clean, peaceful interval. In the earliest Western-European music the second voice was the melody, a quint higher. Then another harmonic element became the bourdon, the organ point, in which a quint is layed under the melody as a fundament, like Scottish bagpipes have.

When I write to somebody who already knows me, I usually sign with just one letter; Q. I don't even have to use the dot. Just sign 'Q', and they all know it's me. How convenient...

But... How come there never were any queues outside your door? It seems you've got a pretty correct spelling. Probably because you live in a neighborhood where everybody spells correctly.

Comment

Working...
              X