Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Da Kama'aina Haole

Soooooo,
    mom's side of the family is half hawaiian/half italian and my mom's a 3rd gen local from da island. dad's cajun from Florida, but thats a different story. This gave me what my local friends call me "Da Kama'aina Haole" nickname.

Anyways, i spent most of my summers on Oahu between school and although i never spoke Pidgin, ive always heard it from locals... and my mom when she calls home. SHE didnt want me to grow up speakin Pidgin, wanted proper talk, but i was raised in the South (Army dad, so half in Tennessee, high school in Georgia) so i got the southern accent... until i joined the AF, and now i talk proper to most ppl until i hear southern talk from country folk or pidgin from locals wherever im stationed, which hasnt been anywhere with locals until now.

Now im stationed out on Okinawa, Japan and its like a Japanese Hawaii here, plenty locals. So ever since my last trip to Oahu (last October) ive picked up Pidgin which seems to come quite easy to me since ive always heard it, but never could practice cause noone in the South speaks Pidgin obviously.

Im excited for my next trip in Mid-August back to Pearl City, gonna spend almost 3 weeks with as much family as i can link with while there. Not from Hawaii but i'll always defend and represent hawaii and show it as much love as it's always shown me... so that's my intro and open to interpretation. shootz
    "MahAloHawaii"
    xbox gamertag Top Shotta Fry

Re: Da Kama'aina Haole

Welcome aboard Kama’aina Haole. But how did you avoid speaking pidgin? Anyone raised in Hawaii who also worked there had to speak it by default. All the schools taught correct English and would demand it in the classrooms but most of the kids spoke pidgin at home or at least among their friends but especially at work.

I worked at a car rental on Oahu and the Big Island moons ago. The mechanic Moki Malama would always call me haole but he was a good natured gentle soul (he was a great guy) and I would say wassup Kanak. Everyone else spoke da kine but we all had fun.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

Comment

Re: Da Kama'aina Haole

wasnt raised in hawaii... the south, however hawaii and its local culture played a great influence on me (due to all the family thru choke extensions) except its local talk. basically all the summers i spent there, i picked it up while there and would hele back to da continent and have fo dial back cuz da buggahs dem neva kno what i saying when try fo talk story. so lately been resurfacin more and more, mo betta each time too i think, one friend say now can talk story in pidgin without a complete haole accent lol, need fo learn mo vocabulary i guess, that comes with total immersion. But lotta locals out here in Oki, guams too... all good people. over the years i have learned one thing tho, locals a foreign stay treat other locals or those associated with locals like all one ohana... but on da aina its a different story, like i hapa check my 6 when not around my friends, ya?
      "MahAloHawaii"
      xbox gamertag Top Shotta Fry

Comment

Working...
      X