Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Introducing SaucerBoy

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
    Compared to someone who lives on Oahu year-round, probably watches/reads just as much of the local media as you (if not more), and works in the local tech industry.

I'm not saying that you're out of touch - I'm saying that in this case, PZ is inherently more qualified than you are to recommend to SB what it would take to get a tech job in Honolulu. You're an ex-resident who vacations on Maui.

Thanks for coming back though. Our economy appreciates your mainland dollars being spent here.
    I'm in high tech, and I'm just saying that the national trend in the US (and I assume Hawai'i is still part of the US) in high tech is that it ain't the MS that's going to get you a job, but the hot computer jobs right now are in Infosec and Project Mgmt. I also happen to know more about Mau'i than Ryan does.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SaucerBoy
      You mentioned that it doesn't take much to stand out. With respect to the IT industry, is having a graduate degree something that would help me stand out in this environment or is that already common enough?
      What is your tech degree in? I'm really not sure how far they'll go in helping you... I know when I was coordinating hiring for a tech position at my last job, we cared less about all the acronyms and more about the work experience and primarily about how the interview went. (By the way, we also threw out more than two-thirds of our applicants because of horribly bad cover letters and resumes... make sure you get those right!) I used to joke that half the people serving coffee at Starbucks were MSCE certified...

For better or worse, credentials are only a tiny part of the equation. That old axiom about "who you know, not what you know" applies quite a bit. But don't despair! It also means that the personal connection in general counts the most. You might have the most spectacular resume, but if you even give off a hint of a bad vibe in that first phone call, you're out.
      I'm in high tech, and I'm just saying that the national trend in the US (and I assume Hawai'i is still part of the US) in high tech is that it ain't the MS that's going to get you a job, but the hot computer jobs right now are in Infosec and Project Mgmt. I also happen to know more about Mau'i than Ryan does.
      Okay, look, I think SaucerBoy would benefit from all perspectives, regardless of where someone lives or what their background is. Sure, he can weigh various points based on our "qualifications" (search for any post by any of us to see, for example, how we generally characterize opportunities and conditions in Hawaii - I'm certainly not as pessimistic as some), but basically, the more datapoints the better.

And yes, Miulang, you know more about Maui than I do. But I know that Maui doesn't have an `okina in it.
      Last edited by pzarquon; May 11, 2005, 03:02 PM.

Comment

SaucerBoy: Try going to this link for more hi tech info.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Er, but also keep in mind that the HTDC is a state agency, with a lot of entrenched and sometimes conflicting interests, and that it's probably a given that their characterization of high technology in Hawaii will be... er, generous.

As with all things in life, and particularly on the web, take it (and us!) with a grain of salt. Depending on who you talk to, we're either a tech wasteland or the next Silicon Valley.

Comment

One thing I DO know about Maui County and the Maui High Performance Computing Center is they know they can't find local talent, so they're trying to entice expats with experience back to Maui.

Miulang

Comment

I'll obviously stay out of any debate about the status of the IT industry in this state and leave that those who know better

As for me in particular, I have a BA in Mathematics, probably a semester or shy of another BA in CS, and an MS in Computational Science (this degree is geared more towards computational modeling rather than software development per se).

I have five years professional experience (much of part time while in school). The company I've worked for (currently still work for) is not a software company so our IT department is fairly small. That means that at some point I've had a solid hand in everything we've done including development, system and network administration of both Linux and Windows servers, firewall construction (and dealing with security in general), database administration, as well as swapping out the occasional printer.

Primarily my time has been split between the development and Linux administration. Lately, it's just development. My main motivation for seeking a different job is that I'm starting to get bored and there is really nothing else for me to do at this company.

Anyway, I don't mean to post my resume, just giving you guys an idea of my background.

I really appreciate the different perspectives and I'll check out the links provided.

I've been part of the hiring process for our department in the past (conducting interviews and evaluating candidates) and I agree that the interview and how we felt about the person was the most important part of the search so I'm prepared for that. I guess I was curious what, in particular, might make someone stand out in this state. I think you've given me a good idea so far.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                If you want O'ahu, you might try some of the outlying towns like on the North Shore or the Windward side. Your telecommuting makes it easy, but if your girlfriend needs a job where she has to be physically present, then your commute will be hell.
                There are various visions of hell. I live in Waimanalo and it takes me 30 minutes each way to commute to UH Manoa by car, twice that by express bus, three times that by regular city bus. A little less to downtown Honolulu. When I complain about this to acquaintances from Tokyo or LA, I just get snickers. That doesn't seem bad at all to them.
                Greg

Comment

Greg,

That's not a bad commute. The "hellish" commutes I imagine are more on the order of a > 1 hr each way through stop and go traffic that can get worse if it's a bad traffic day.

Would you say that the commute times you listed are pretty consistent or do you often have days where it is much worse?

From what I read Waimanalo is reasonably affordable (by Honolulu standards). Is that true? Could you tell me a little about the town?

Just an update on my situation for anyone interested: my girlfriend's current employer is in discussion with her about a business opportunity. The upshot is that we're going to get some rent free living in Waimea on the big island which is pretty fantastic.

That will give us about six weeks before we need to find a new place so we are hoping to actually visit Oahu first before moving. If all goes well with the business talk it could mean pretty steady work for my girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucerBoy
                    Would you say that the commute times you listed are pretty consistent or do you often have days where it is much worse?
                    Consistent. But I don't drive in during rush hour.

From what I read Waimanalo is reasonably affordable (by Honolulu standards). Is that true? Could you tell me a little about the town?
                    I think it's still reasonable, but I haven't watched prices for the 10 years since I came here. My impression of it is sleepy, friendly, relaxed. My wife and I walk our dogs on the beach off leash every morning, which is illegal, but no one cares. Back in the valley are horse ranches and nurseries.
                    Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X