Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An' Den

Originally posted by Izzie
    What a pity. I'm terribly sorry if I offended anyone for just being "me". I'm a fun loving person, but if it means that my having fun disturbes anyone, I'm truly sorry.

Speaking in pidgin is part of my heritage and I'm VERY proud of it. In fact, having graduated with a Th.D and certified to go on various mission trips to war stricken countries really taught me that people and nations should be proud of their heritage. I've since learn that being humble, accepting all man kind no matter what creed, color or language they speak is part of loving unconditionally.

I think it was when I was holding a dieing child in my arms having half of her blown away when she stepped on a land mind. Her mother was near us weeping while on her knees. It really showed me that life is so dang precious to get caught up the etiquettes of speach. By the way, that nation of people were fighting for their culture, traditions and language. They believed in themselves as a nation that they were willing to DIE to KEEP what they had. At that moment... my eyes were opened.

I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents. Yes, even those from Lousiana with their "Pidgin" French Creole, are proud to be speaking according to their culture. When I open my mouth and "proudly" spurt out my Hawaiian Creole, heads turn, and people ask me to TEACH them words and slangs. Then they pick it up and I pick up their accents as well. Oh how wonderful to have the LIBERTY to do such a thing. To communicate without having to put on a FRONT.. trying to be someone I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I can speak "proper" English. Been a public speaker in So. California for over 20 years, and then in Georgia. And yes, even in Hawai'i too. I speak proper English professionally for communication sake, and not to try to prove anything else than that. Heck, I don't have to.

Speaking for myself, it doesn't matter what color, creed, religion, or mode of speach a person uses to communicate with. Whether it be a different language, English with an accent, or a Creole like the Hawaiian Pidgin.. heck, I accept them all, unconditionally. And I would feel terrible if I knew it was offensive to anyone, as I do right now.

Well, I do sincerely thank you for the "tip". As I bow out, I wish all of you who are trying to "forget" how to speak Pidgin and who are striving to learn "good English" much success with it. Again, I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE here, believe me.. it was NOT my intent.

Malama pono... oops.. If writing in Hawaiian is offensive here also, forgive me once again. Really didn't mean to bust another eggshell.

I'm NOT being sarcastic here, just being straight forward about how I view life. This is why I can respect you all, well as you said, "most of you" who wishes to keep this place pidgin free. Well, that let's me out *LOL*, for you see, I'm living on the mainland, for many years, in fact. With ENGLISH people surrounding me all the time.. and truth is... I MISS being able to "feel at home". I thought I could do that here with people who actually had the privilage of living on the island I once grew up on. To enjoy her "flowers" again. Yes, even those pidgin flowers.. LOL. I was mistaken. And it's really okay. I'm glad you were straight forward with me from the get go before I took my slippahz (thongs) off.

Best to all.

Aloha Hugs too!

The heck wit dat! I just spent five days on Oahu and didnt hear ANY pidgin!!! I looked forward to hearing some after waiting 23 YEARS to get back!!! Also, was bummed to not get to hear my buddy GECKO noises, luv them little clickers!
    Cannot believe locals wanna experience 4 seasons and such like as the lady we turned the car rental in said. Maybe we should start a thread where people could set of a timeshare sort of arrangement, lmbo........I live in Oklahoma and would be damn glad to hang on Oahu for about a year! Anyone wanna trade!!!????
    If anyone on Oahu is NOT happy , feel free to trade places with me.

Comment

Maika'i all! I wen find dis tread by accident...neva misses e da I learn sumthing,cry, or laugh till I like sheshe! Wanted to copy sum of da hilarious pics but dum old computa neva like me take um. ai yah, gottum as a gift from Robtert Caz...hope he no check out dis thread, then again sumbody hea might squeal.

dis is an old thread but da subject is interesting and it shows dat da people hea is really like one big OHANA...so das why I posting to keep it alive! Eh, da one live in Oklahoma, you like come live at MWH for six months...I no mind the change of scene and sounds...please,please,give me a break from the sole and micro dots. Plus got one moa stabbing da oda night! Auwe!Pidgin...it's in all of us. We can turn it off and on when we want too. Well, those of us who can use the computer! JOKE,JOKE NO GET MAD NOW!

Haouli Makahiki Hou 2005!
      Last edited by 1stwahine; December 27, 2004, 06:47 PM.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Goodness gracious: can we please avert another don't-speak-pidgin thread here? In full disclosure, I am an attorney practicing in Washington D.C. who has never spoken pidgin in my entire life. While it takes me a bit longer to read and grok a post in pidgin, it's not unwelcome and it's not impossible to understand. The back and forth about whether it is proper to speak pidgin on the threads is just so tiresome, isn't it?

Personally, I come here for the Aloha, the local news, local flavor, etc. It helps me daydream back to when I lived in Hawaii, get some escape from all the arguments I work with every day. So, as a favor for me, can we just settle that it's a-okay to post in pidgin on here, and that people who do not like to read pidgin will just scroll past posts written in pidgin? Mahalo.

Comment

Aloha! & HAOULI MAKAHIKI HOU! Welcome to the boards, LayaMike!

Comment

This is an old thread. Only one user, back in June, mentioned an aversion to pidgin. As you can see from the very extensive conversation that followed, pidgin has quite a bit of support here. And if you need it again from the horse's mouth, pidgin is welcome here (or should I say "hea"?). `A`ole pilikia, hakuna matata, it's all good!

Comment

Originally posted by lawyamike
              Goodness gracious: can we please avert another don't-speak-pidgin thread here?
              Why would you want to avert the discussion? I think it's a great one. I personally think it's important to air our feelings about it. As a kama‘āina who was forbidden to talk pidgin or speak/learn Hawaiian in school, I find it refreshing to be able to say how I feel about that now.

If we avert this discussion, then we miss being able to share with one another how we have been affected by the westernization of our ‘āina. We would miss great posts like this:

Originally posted by Nohealani
              we as the people of Hawai'i as well as other indigenous cultures worldwide have endured much for the sake of westernization...yet there is still hope that burns within us, and what was once deemed "forbidden" is now being revived...the language and culture is being taught to our children and a cultural renaissance is taking place
              or this:
              Originally posted by Izzie
              I learned then that I wanted to KEEP my heritage, customs and culture even though I now reside in the heartland of the Untited States of America where people are dang proud to be speaking in their western, eastern and southern accents.
              The more we talk about it, the more chance we have to understand one another, to get to know one another, to share this wonderful heritage that we all have in common.

K'den. I stay pau.
              Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

I guess it's just that I don't think those passages you quoted are at all disputable. For me -- even as somebody who only shares any sort of "wonderful heritage" involving pidgin by marriage (if at all) -- I expect to encounter pidgin when I am surrounded by local folks. If this were Parisian Threads, I would be surprised if somebody complained about people speaking French. It seems like there have been a few arguments here (or maybe I have it confused with someplace else?) about whether pidgin is appropriate, and those arguuments always struck me as silly.

It's not that statements of pride, etc. are not pleasant or appropriate; I just thought that the argument that elicited them was unnecessary. I'm done. I'll post a proper introduction somewhere else on the site, now that I've already gotten involved.

Comment

There's no need to post a proper introduction somewhere else, you're one of us already...I'm the unofficial welcoming person, yeah, right! Anyways, once again, welcome LayaMike!

Comment

Originally posted by lawyamike
                    I guess it's just that I don't think those passages you quoted are at all disputable. For me -- even as somebody who only shares any sort of "wonderful heritage" involving pidgin by marriage (if at all) -- I expect to encounter pidgin when I am surrounded by local folks. If this were Parisian Threads, I would be surprised if somebody complained about people speaking French. It seems like there have been a few arguments here (or maybe I have it confused with someplace else?) about whether pidgin is appropriate, and those arguuments always struck me as silly.

It's not that statements of pride, etc. are not pleasant or appropriate; I just thought that the argument that elicited them was unnecessary. I'm done. I'll post a proper introduction somewhere else on the site, now that I've already gotten involved.
                    We covered this fairly early on in this thread; the difference is mostly that the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats who have to be around people who always speak proper English. We cherish our ability to speak/write/understand pidgin because it reminds us of where we came from. People who are immersed in it all the time are immune to these feelings. But for us ex-pats, when we can buss out in pidgin, we going because oni good fun! Besides, it's kind of a "second language" for a lot of us anyway (Me? I also understand Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Spanish, but not enough to speak any of those fluently).

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      ...the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats...
                      Not!

(Me? I also understand Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian and Spanish, but not enough to speak any of those fluently).

Miulang

cool. you go, girl!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                        Not!!
                        Well, Kimo, you know you spesho, anden, yeah? Get plenny locals who no like speak pidgin because dey tink ass low class and not high muckamucka.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, Kimo, you know you spesho, anden, yeah? Get plenny locals who no like speak pidgin because dey tink ass low class and not high muckamucka.

Miulang
                          oh, The local posers and selfimportant yuppies. yessssss. and that new breed of metrosexuals and odda kine; keeds da like hang out alamoana sennah, wearing dat junkalunk designer crap.
                          sheesh. look what the mainland has wrought. and the newspapers don't help much with all the f.o.b. mainland journalists and the local stories, coverage and general feel going, going, gone, and the slant towards materialism, what's cool, the latest crap, and all kine celebrity gossip.
                          sheesh. Miss the old days.

Comment

We covered this fairly early on in this thread; the difference is mostly that the kama'aina who still live in Hawai'i don't like to use pidgin as much as us ex-pats who have to be around people who always speak proper English.
                            Da locals living in Hawai'i take talking pidgin for granted and don't really appreciate how precious it is da way us locals living abroad do because they live and breathe it every day -- da same way I used to take all dose tings for granted too, like Hawaiian music, ono plate lunches, etc., when I was living back home.

We cherish our ability to speak/write/understand pidgin because it reminds us of where we came from. People who are immersed in it all the time are immune to these feelings. But for us ex-pats, when we can buss out in pidgin, we going because oni good fun!
                            Dass so true, yeah teetah? Bussing out da pidgin and letting um rip whenevah we get togeddah also allows our souls to reach way across da big blue pond and reconnect to our heritage and da way of life we once knew, which most likely is in very stark contrast to where and how we're living now. Where we came from and how we got to be where we are now -- that really defines who we are.

So if get anybody out deah who like try make me deny my heritage just because dey choose to deny theirs and look down deah long supeereeyah nose at me going get lickens.

YOSH!

Comment

Eh Bruddah Lurkah! So you wen go holoholo ova hea and go post, yeah? You guys get snow in daboonies? Heard da weather report dat your side wen get snow. Us guys oni get da wet stuff and fog

Miulang

Comment

We had about chree inches snow yestaday...enuff fo da keeds still on Christmas break have good fun sliding down hills wit da sleds. But wen all melt away awredeh. Dis was da first snow of da season and HO da pileups had planny huli ovah kine too.

Comment

Working...
                                X