Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles.
    Oh, no, that's the best one!

That one is making my brain WORK.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles.
      Me three... especially word puzzles. Don't know about that math one, though!

Comment

I think we need a whole lot more like number 1!

Comment

DARKSEID!!!!!
          One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you? DiverDown must be a closeted comics geek, and Mike_Lowery submitted his answers like a minute after I posted the questions!

For the record, I'm not a comics geek, but I know I could be if I allowed myself to be. I'm a sucker for a good story, but I've managed to keep myself away from comics because I just can't afford another obsession in my life.

I'm more into Marvel, I recognized him, knew he was from the DC universe, knew he was from either The Bats or Supes....but couldn't remember his name, 'seed' was what came to me but I knew that was way wrong.

So I tagged compatriot in geekdom and my personal DCverse encyclopedia, Pali.

Scriv, you might want to check out graphic novels or compilations of story arcs done up in graphic novel style.

Oh and check out "Morbus Gravis" by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
            Here are the answers for Day 13!

DARKSEID!!!!!
            One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you?

OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains). There he was, #7. But I wanted to confirm it was Darkseid because although the picture looked similar to yours, it wasn't exact.
            So next, I typed "Darkseid" into Google. Clicked on the Images link (cause I wanted to find YOUR picture). There it was - 5th picture. Clicked on the image to confirm it was Darkseid and submitted the link to you.
            Took all of 2 minutes.
            There. One of my secrets. But that's the LAST one! Muwahahaha

~Goat Lady~
            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
              OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains). There he was, #7.
              Well, dayam. I did the same exact search, but didn't look at that "top ten" link. Instead, I spent far too much time looking at dozens of pictures at more encyclopedic list sites. (I also tried it as an "image" search first.)

A perfect example of "too much information." Shoulda looked at the simpler sites. And that's why I didn't get the point.

Comment

I did the same thing as Leo. Only now I think I've taken this whole thing to a new level. At some point in the middle of the night I woke up and said - "Space Ghost, that's where he's from! Nah, couldn't be that." And went back to sleep. You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                  You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!
                  My dreams are often trivial. This morning, however, I woke from a dream to realize that I was dreaming of puns. (Which is only frightening if I start to share them with you...)

Comment

I better answer now, since 3 times this week I've missed the deadline
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 14!

Category: Training Algebra
                      In either standard or "graphing" form, what is the equation that
                      generates this graph? Please assume that the graph continues in
                      both directions indefinitely...I forgot to draw arrows on the graph.
                      In graphing form, y=a(x-h)^2+k, where (h, k) is the vertex of the parabola and a dictates the direction and shape of the parabola. Since this is a standard parabola pointed downward, a in this case is -1.

So the answer is y=-(x-2)^2+3 in graphing form.
                      In standard form (remember FOIL from your intermediate school days?): y=-x^2+4x-1.

* ^2 means "raised to the second power"

So TAN(45) points go to Mike_Lowery, liberty, Kalei99, helen, Leo Lakio, and acousticlady (the only one to submit in standard form) for getting that right! Note to helen for future reference: an equation has an EQUALS sign in it! You're lucky this math teacher is benevolent!

Best wrong answers:
                      Peshkwe: "It's not a math problem....it's tutusue's avatar's mamogram."
                      tutusue: "Pie = mc hammer squared and broke???"
                      zztype: "Ah crap. I'm dancing all around it, but can't come up with a definitive answer. Blah. I pass. It's too painful.
                      (Ugh. I have always hated math. Even when I finally was forced to learn trig in the Navy, I still hated it!)"
                      lavagal: "Beats the $h*! outta me! (Journalism major, ya know!)"

Boy, some of you needed ME for a math teacher. You'd have loved it!

Category: Microsoft What?
                      These names of local prominence were "corrected" using Microsoft
                      Word's spell-checker. For one-fourth of a point each, what were the
                      "wrong" spellings?
                      Koala Riches --> Kealii Reichel
                      Maize Heron --> Mazie Hirono
                      Mafia Hangman --> Mufi Hanneman (this is my favorite one!)
                      Tail Carrier --> Tia Carrere
                      Canoe Leashed --> Kanoa Leahey
                      Bridal Zip --> Braddah Iz
                      Angelic Cubic-Timer --> Aneli Cubi-Otineru
                      Parquet --> Pzarquon

Nobody was getting that Cubi-Otineru one until...after tonight's Wahine volleyball match, when kanahina and Mike_Lowery buzzed in with late corrections!

Here's how that one scored:
                      8 correct for 2 points: Nobody!
                      7 correct for 1.75 points: Mike_Lowery
                      6 correct for 1.5 points: liberty, Leo Lakio, mel, kanahina, InfinityProductions
                      5 correct for 1.25 points: Peshkwe, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, zztype, CranBeree
                      4 correct for 1 point: tutusue, acousticlady, lavagal
                      3 correct for .75 points: helen

That was fun!

Category: Name and Address
                      What well-known sentence did Kauikeaouli first deliver publicly in
                      a speech given in 1843?
                      "Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono."
                      I was going to say "everyone got that one," but in fact only people who submitted answers got that one! That means: Mike_Lowery, Peshkwe, Kalei99, liberty, helen, tutusue, Leo Lakio, mel, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, kanahina, InfinityProductions, zztype, CranBeree, and lavagal!

So here are the standings!
                      38.75: Kalei99
                      32.5: Leo Lakio
                      31: Surfingfarmboy
                      30.5: liberty
                      29.5: acousticlady
                      28.5: tutusue
                      27.75: zztype
                      27: lavagal
                      23.5: InfinityProductions
                      21.5: CranBeree
                      21: mel
                      20.75: Mike_Lowery
                      17.5: kanahina
                      11.5: helen
                      9.5: jdub
                      8: Palama Kid
                      7: kiwidiva
                      5.75: Peshkwe

Please check your scores!

New questions: Next post!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 15!

1. Category: Critic Critique
                          When A.O. Scott, a film critic at the New York Times, recently said to Richard Roeper, “As you know, you can’t change someone’s sense of humor…or even verify that he has one!” about which film were they having a difference of opinion?

2. Category: Get Out the Moat
                          At what University was a student body King elected when he promised to build a moat full of cold beer?

3. Category: Moorehead State
                          What Emmy-winning television series features an actor who unintentionally made himself permanently bald before he was twenty-five years old?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 18! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                        Last edited by scrivener; November 17, 2007, 09:23 PM. Reason: "I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map I'm the map..."
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

So here are the standings!
                          32.5: Leo Lakio
                          Please check your scores!
                          Getting concerned about the appeals process, and still awaiting a verdict on Day 10, Question 2; every point counts when you are in a cluster, y'know (Randy's right on my heels, and we all know he's got the stamina for a marathon.) My co-meritrician's legal training is causing me to push for your ruling (along with explanation, if not in my favor.)

(Such talk for a Sunday morning!)

Comment

Best wrong answers:
                            tutusue: "Pie = mc hammer squared and broke???"
                            zztype: "Ah crap. I'm dancing all around it, but can't come up with a definitive answer. Blah. I pass. It's too painful.
                            (Ugh. I have always hated math. Even when I finally was forced to learn trig in the Navy, I still hated it!)"
                            lavagal: "Beats the $h*! outta me! (Journalism major, ya know!)"

Boy, some of you needed ME for a math teacher. You'd have loved it!
                            But you would have hated it!
                            Dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADD live in this noggin, I wasn't lying when I said I have the attention span of a concussed ferret. Tho it does have it's amusing repercussions, like making profs go poo flinging monkey mad in frustration.

*shrugs* Learning for me is like wandering around in one of Escher's doors and stairways etchings. Stuff goes in, ya follow it's path, but it never quite gets you where you're supposed to be going or exit where you would expect.

Comment

[...]So the answer is y=-(x-2)^2+3 in graphing form.
                              Now knowing the answer, it still doesn't make sense!
                              In standard form (remember FOIL from your intermediate school days?): y=-x^2+4x-1.
                              Nope!
                              [...]Best wrong answers:
                              And on my back, no less!
                              [...]Please check your scores![...]
                              No time for that. I trust ya, Scriv...I have to!!! Well, that...and I've lost track!

At this point I'm absolutely thrilled Kalei99 didn't ace this one! <g>

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                                But you would have hated it!
                                Dyslexia, dyscalculia and ADD live in this noggin, I wasn't lying when I said I have the attention span of a concussed ferret. Tho it does have it's amusing repercussions, like making profs go poo flinging monkey mad in frustration.

*shrugs* Learning for me is like wandering around in one of Escher's doors and stairways etchings. Stuff goes in, ya follow it's path, but it never quite gets you where you're supposed to be going or exit where you would expect.
                                Peshkwe, you clearly do not know where (and whom) I teach! My school specializes in teaching students just like you. I'm probably the weakest link in the chain around here, but there are things in place here that automatically make a difference even with mediocre teachers like me: Tiny student-teacher ratios (my largest class this year is 9; my smallest is 5), individualized instruction, and skills-based (not content-based) curricula are what make us tick.

I know you didn't ask for a lecture, but that Escher metaphor you just put up? It's not a weakness, it's just a difference. Within the structure of traditional (and even alternative, to be honest) schools, it's surely a stumbling block, but in the real world, as you probably know, it can be a huge asset (no pun intended). ADD is only a hindrance in environments that require singular focus; it's quite an advantage in settings where the ability to notice EVERYTHING is a strength.

I'd love to talk about your dyscalculia sometime. Do you actually have a diagnosis, or did you just figure it out based on your understanding of yourself?
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X