Either way there are two
    Points ready for claiming
    Or one if you’re close
    To the sought-after naming!

So get yourself on it—
    Good luck, goats and swine!
    Your answers are due
    Wednesday by nine!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

It sounds, from the tone of that last question, like this is the end of the contest, but it's not. That's how it came out because I had to make stuff rhyme! We have about a week more...30 days or 31 days in all.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Day 24 Question

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Category: Twelve Days of Trivia

So get yourself on it—
        Good luck, goats and swine!
        Your answers are due
        Wednesday by nine!
        I am reminded of the AFLAC commercial with the goat. Instead of saying "AFLAC," the goat says, "NAAAAAAA"!

But I'm curious: does that make me a swine?

"This little piggy cried, 'wee, wee, wee, wee, wee,' all the way home!"

Or all the way to the BANK!
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
          But I'm curious: does that make me a swine?
          Yes. Yes, I do believe that would make YOU the swine since you refer to me as "The Goat Lady."

So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

• Re: Day 23 Answers

I sorta expected Leo to.
            In this particular big circumstance, it would have been a world of wonders if I had allowed someone else to be stealing fire from me on this question.

Just for you, Scrivener, just for you.

Comment

Lock and load 'em, kiddies! Your final answer, that is. It's almost 9 o'clock.

Blaine

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                Yes. Yes, I do believe that would make YOU the swine since you refer to me as "The Goat Lady."

You mean THIS goat lady?

Or THIS Goat Lady?

Yes, that is the Goat Lady and me (Mr. Pigg, apparently) discussing trivia over Thanksgiving dinner!

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                  Lock and load 'em, kiddies! Your final answer, that is. It's almost 9 o'clock.

Blaine
                  It's now 9:26 to be exact and I missed it! And by the looks of Scriv's "riddle" my brain was in absolutely no shape to tackle it today. Ok, Scriv, it's time for 3 easy questions!

Comment

• Day 24 Answer

Category: Twelve Days of Trivia

There are twelve days of Christmas
                    Or so says the carol
                    But twelve days of trivia
                    Traversed at your peril
                    Okie dokie. Let's see who is right . . . and who is dead!

Twelve consecutive clues
                    All the ones, twos, or threes—
                    A puzzle within the contest
                    Like a crust filled with cheese!
                    zztype was kind enough to collect the relevant clues and include them in his answer, so for those who didn't get it, here are the last twelve answers to the #3 questions:
                    1. blue, white, and red
                    2. rising sun
                    3. "Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono."
                    4. the shield
                    5. pulo'ulo'u, or "kapu sticks,"
                    6. Lady Liberty, or Columbia
                    7. Kamehameha I
                    8. star
                    9. phoenix
                    10. fern
                    11. taro
                    12. 1959

In what one place have you seen
                    All of these things before?
                    There was quite a variety of answers here, so allow me to share a few of the wrong ones!

mel's answer kept with the sorta Christmasy theme: "Bah, humbug!"
                    helen: "google.com"
                    Peshkwe: "Of the last 12 sets of questions, the third question's answer has been referred to in some way on HawaiiThreads."

Surfingfarmboy: "The only common thread I'm finding among the what I suspect are the clues/answers you have in mind is: Oahu. That's my answer. Now I'm out the door and headed to catch the ferry to Macau."

lavagal: "It's all I can do to neglect my family long enough to answer three questions, so I'll have to sit this one out. I'm intrigued. I'm eager to see the results."

acousticlady: "I normally love this kind of thing - but it's late and it's been a long day. If I suddenly get it before 2 am (you know, wake up in the middle of the night with a eureka! moment....) I'll get it in. Otherwise - I'll have to say uhhh.... embedded song lyrics in the edits!"

[I LOVE this answer...makes me wish I'd thought of that!]

Hopefully, whether you answered correctly or not, you're now envisioning what zztype, Kalei99, Mike_Lowery, and Leo Lakio saw:

The best answer ever ever ever is from Kalei99:

The 12 Days of Trivia
                    has really blown my mind
                    I searched and I scoured
                    only to find

a bunch of crazy words
                    and some non-sense, too
                    I put them all together
                    and came up with the zoo??

I looked at the clues
                    and I have to confess
                    I thought to myself
                    Scriv's really made a mess!

I knew zoo was wrong
                    in my gut I could feel
                    The only correct answer
                    is the Hawaii State Seal!
                    I also admired the wit of Mike_Lowery's answer, which didn't hit me until hours after I first read it:

"I think the question is 'Where can you find a phoenix, 1959, Kamehameha I, ua mau ke ea i ka aina i ka pono, taro, ferns, and michael chiklis?'"

Which is super-funny, because a lot of people (including him, I think!) got the "shield" question wrong when they submitted "Michael Chiklis" as their answer.

Two points to each of the brave four.

Current standings, with appeals still pending:

65: Kalei99
                    58.75: Leo Lakio
                    54.25: zztype
                    52.75: liberty
                    47.75: acousticlady
                    46.75: tutusue, Surfingfarmboy
                    41.75: Mike_Lowery
                    40.75: InfinityProductions
                    40.5: lavagal
                    33.5: CranBeree
                    30.5: mel
                    29: kanahina
                    25.5: Peshkwe
                    19.25: helen
                    11.5: Palama Kid
                    10.25: kiwidiva
                    9.5: jdub

Thanks for playing, everyone! New questions, next post!
                    Last edited by scrivener; November 28, 2007, 08:37 PM. Reason: "fly...on your wings...like an eagle...touch the sun..."
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Day 24 Answer

That's the prettiest version of the Hawaii State Seal I have ever seen. Where did you find it?

Blaine

Comment

That's the png on file at Wikipedia. It does look good, doesn't it? I just noticed that it seems to be transparent...or am I imagining that? I didn't know there was such a thing as a transparent png.
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yes, it is transparent. I didn't know that, either. Whaddaya know?!

Comment

• Day 25 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                            Here are the questions for Day 25!

1. Category: Anything He Wants!
                              What does a Boy Scout do with steel wool, cotton, and a six-volt battery?

2. Category: "I am NOT drinking any *&^%^%$ Merlot!"
                              What does it mean when wine is aged on its lees?

3. Category: "Waipahu Must Be Empty Tonight!"
                              Waipahu's historic Plantation District, whose soul was Waipahu Depot Road for the longest time, is mostly just a memory now, but what neighbor of the Arakawa's store is still in business, run by the sons of its founder sixty years after its founding?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 29! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

OK, here's my (our) story of working this one out...

I have been very busy this week, trying to squeeze in as many home projects as I can in my final week before starting a new job (yes, I DID have six months to get these things done - of course, I put many of them off until the last possible week - so sue me; you know you do the same thing.)

I thought a lot of the same things that others did - was it the song lyrics that Scriv used in his edit lines? Was it an anagram of the first letters of the first questions, spelling out something clever? Was it just his use of the phrase "...Good luck, and beat Kalei?"

So I printed out the question and the clues from the past 12 days, then put them aside until I knew I could study them late last evening. But first, the AF starts looking at them (mind you, it's now one hour and fifteen minutes until the deadline.) She eventually says: "You know, I'll bet the key is in the answers to one of the questions, and I think it's #3 - something about film, or music, maybe."

At forty-five minutes to deadline, I start reading her the answers to question three --- "blue, white and red" ... "rising sun" ... and she says, "flags?" As I continue reading the clues, some of which fit that idea (such as "shield" and "Lady Liberty"), I remind her of this line:
                              In what one place have you seen
                              All of these things before?
                              So she suggests the Hawai`i State Capitol building. Once I get to clues like "taro" and "1959," I'm ready to start Googling pages about the State Capitol, or the State Flag, when I re-read the most important clue in the poem:
                              Perhaps you will gain
                              My seal of approval—
                              DING! DING! DING! I search out an image of the Hawai`i State Seal, and even find a page that lists most of the answers from the past 12 days.

35 minutes to deadline, and in goes the response. I don't know if I could have done it without the suggestions from the AF, so she shares the credit for this one (as well as doubling the applause for Scrivener - and also wondering how much time this is taking away from his Master's degree project.) Yet another reminder why she and I are together - between the two of us is one functioning brain.

Mahalo, Scrivener - well-planned and nicely presented. I had a feeling Blaine would get it, but wasn't sure about who else would have the time and inclination to tackle it. Regarding Kalei's poetic reply, the AF asks "Dang that goat lady! Wot, is she going for extra credit with da poem?" Unless she vanishes mysteriously (not wishing that, mind you) AND I don't miss any more questions, I fear she's got a lock on the lead.

Man, I need those two pending appeals to go in my favor, in order to slip away from Blaine - no rest for me yet. (Randy, how do you find stamina to go the distance, especially in the home stretch?)

Comment

I didn't know there was such a thing as a transparent png.
                                Also from Wikipedia:
                                PNG offers a variety of transparency options. With truecolor and greyscale images either a single pixel value can be declared as transparent or an alpha channel can be added. For paletted images, alpha values can be added to palette entries. The number of such values stored may be less than the total number of palette entries, in which case the remaining entries are considered fully opaque.
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                There is an open source solution to display transparent PNGs in IE, Firefox, and Safari without the use of filters, PHP, or complicated Javascript and CSS – PNGPong. The solution uses a combination of Javascript, Flash, and simple DHTML.
                                Look here.

Comment

Working...
                                X