• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
    You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!
    My dreams are often trivial. This morning, however, I woke from a dream to realize that I was dreaming of puns. (Which is only frightening if I start to share them with you...)

Leave a comment:

• acousticlady
    replied

I did the same thing as Leo. Only now I think I've taken this whole thing to a new level. At some point in the middle of the night I woke up and said - "Space Ghost, that's where he's from! Nah, couldn't be that." And went back to sleep. You know it's really bad when you start to dream of trivia answers!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains). There he was, #7.
    Well, dayam. I did the same exact search, but didn't look at that "top ten" link. Instead, I spent far too much time looking at dozens of pictures at more encyclopedic list sites. (I also tried it as an "image" search first.)

A perfect example of "too much information." Shoulda looked at the simpler sites. And that's why I didn't get the point.

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the answers for Day 13!

DARKSEID!!!!!
    One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you?

OK, so I know NOTHING about comic books (except Archie & Casper - loved those as a kid). So I typed "comic book villains list" into Google. Clicked on the 1st link: (Top Ten Comic Book Super Villains). There he was, #7. But I wanted to confirm it was Darkseid because although the picture looked similar to yours, it wasn't exact.
    So next, I typed "Darkseid" into Google. Clicked on the Images link (cause I wanted to find YOUR picture). There it was - 5th picture. Clicked on the image to confirm it was Darkseid and submitted the link to you.
    Took all of 2 minutes.
    There. One of my secrets. But that's the LAST one! Muwahahaha

~Goat Lady~

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

DARKSEID!!!!!
    One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you? DiverDown must be a closeted comics geek, and Mike_Lowery submitted his answers like a minute after I posted the questions!

For the record, I'm not a comics geek, but I know I could be if I allowed myself to be. I'm a sucker for a good story, but I've managed to keep myself away from comics because I just can't afford another obsession in my life.

I'm more into Marvel, I recognized him, knew he was from the DC universe, knew he was from either The Bats or Supes....but couldn't remember his name, 'seed' was what came to me but I knew that was way wrong.

So I tagged compatriot in geekdom and my personal DCverse encyclopedia, Pali.

Scriv, you might want to check out graphic novels or compilations of story arcs done up in graphic novel style.

Oh and check out "Morbus Gravis" by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri

Leave a comment:

• acousticlady
    replied

I think we need a whole lot more like number 1!

Leave a comment:

• liberty
    replied

I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles.
    Me three... especially word puzzles. Don't know about that math one, though!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

I just have to say I'm unreasonably pleased with myself about the #2 question, even though it doesn't really fall into the realm of "trivia." Puzzles are trivial, though, and I love puzzles.
    Oh, no, that's the best one!

That one is making my brain WORK.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Here are the questions for Day 14!

Four points up for grabs today! Good luck!
    1. Category: Training Algebra
      In either standard or "graphing" form, what is the equation that
      generates this graph? Please assume that the graph continues in
      both directions indefinitely...I forgot to draw arrows on the graph.

2. Category: Microsoft What?
      These names of local prominence were "corrected" using Microsoft
      Word's spell-checker. For one-fourth of a point each, what were the
      "wrong" spellings?

Koala Riches
      Maize Heron
      Mafia Hangman
      Tail Carrier
      Canoe Leashed
      Bridal Zip
      Angelic Cubic-Timer
      Parquet

3. Category: Name and Address
      What well-known sentence did Kauikeaouli first deliver publicly in
      a speech given in 1843?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 17! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Here are the answers for Day 13!

Category: Villain the Blanks
    Who's this?
    DARKSEID!!!!!
    One point and one trip to the comics store for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, Kalei99, tutusue, kanahina, and Peshkwe! I'm not at all surprised that helen got this, but the rest of you? DiverDown must be a closeted comics geek, and Mike_Lowery submitted his answers like a minute after I posted the questions!

For the record, I'm not a comics geek, but I know I could be if I allowed myself to be. I'm a sucker for a good story, but I've managed to keep myself away from comics because I just can't afford another obsession in my life.

Category: In Lane Sight
    In many Oahu neighborhoods, painted lines and yellow reflectors
    separate lanes of traffic moving in opposite directions, but there is
    an occasional blue reflector amongst them. What does the blue
    reflector indicate, and why is it never in line with the lines and
    yellow reflectors?
    There are two parts to this question, so you got the whole point if you answered both parts and half a point for answering one part.

The blue reflectors indicate the presence of a nearby fire hydrant. They are offset in order to tell firefighters which side of the road the hydrants are on.

Full points for zztype, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, tutusue, and kanahina!
    Half-points for Mike_Lowery, helen, CranBeree, lavagal, Leo Lakio, Peshkwe, acousticlady, and mel!

Category: Sparky
    In what Indiana town was the first electric chair built?
    Rising Sun. Yes, there are conflicting reports about where the first chair was built, but you all understood that I was looking for THIS town! Surfingfarmboy has been there. Was it a shocking experience? Ask him!

One-point-twenty-one-gigawatts to Mike_Lowery, zztype, liberty, CranBeree, Kalei99, lavagal, Surfingfarmboy, Leo Lakio, tutusue, Peshkwe, acousticlady, kanahina, and mel!

Okie Dokie! Here are the current (hahahahaha!) scores!
    Still considering some of the appeals. Patience.

35.50: Kalei99
    29: Leo Lakio
    28.75: Surfingfarmboy
    27.5: liberty
    26.5: tutusue, acousticlady
    25.5: zztype,
    25: lavagal
    21: InfinityProductions
    19.25: CranBeree
    18.5: mel
    17: Mike_Lowery
    15: kanahina
    9.5: jdub
    8.75: helen
    8: Palama Kid
    7: kiwidiva
    3.5: Peshkwe

Thanks for participating! New questions -----> Next post!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    Gee, brother, you're such a nice guy! But no worries, I can always BRIBE Alex to unplug YOUR internet! He loves Game Stop, right?
    Naw, the boy accepts only CASH MONEY any more. Lots of it!

(And yea, mahalo nui Scriv. Keep 'em coming!)

Leave a comment:

• acousticlady
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

Oh, and a half-way through message to Scrivener: thanks for all the work to put this together again; I'm having a good time with it.
    Yeah, Scrivener deserves BIG kudos. And I love the sibling rivalry. Reminds me of home.

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    Don't you worry about Goat Lady... hehehe... we'll take GOOD care of her. Hehehe. Can you say:

"Oops, the internet died! I wonder what happened?"

"Oops, the laptop fell in the pool! Auwe! You lost everything!"

"Oops, I spilled turkey gravy in your laptop keyboard! Yes, sloppy of me, a whole quart! Guess I'll have to buy you another one... for Christmas. Or maybe Easter."
    Gee, brother, you're such a nice guy! But no worries, I can always BRIBE Alex to unplug YOUR internet! He loves Game Stop, right?

Leave a comment:

• tutusue
    replied

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    [...]Oh, and a half-way through message to Scrivener: thanks for all the work to put this together again; I'm having a good time with it.
    Me, too...mostly watching the sibling rivalry and fighting with Scriv for my half and quarter points!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X