Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

This was a fascinating challenge, Scriv. My admiration to those of you who worked it out. All hail Hawaii's State Seal!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
      This was a fascinating challenge, Scriv. My admiration to those of you who worked it out. All hail Hawaii's State Seal!
      if you truly admire us, you'd Paypal $$ to us for our accomplishment

I don't think I woulda bothered solving it if I didn't have a State of Hawaii letterhead on my desk.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Go ahead, Leo, and explain your deepest thoughts here in this thread. Take all the time you need. (Hi Lovely Lori! Mahalo for helping!)

You should put your answers in riddles, too! That would look cool! (And take HOURS to get just right!)

Me? I went down the list, copied all the 12 days' answers to one document, minus the questions and commentary. Then I looked at them.

There were some that obviously could not be related in any way. Instant elimination. By the third answer, I had settled on No. 3 as the target.

Each set of answers, I looked at No. 3. It started looking like "Pearl Harbor" (Dec. 7 coming up), with mention of "Arizona" in the Phoenix answer, "Rising Sun," "taro," (Aiea and Pearl City taro farms), "star," and "red, white, blue," looking like some military (Navy) reference.

But some of the answers didn't fit that idea. Then I saw "1959" and "poloulou," "Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono," and immediately settled on the Great Seal of the State of Hawaii.

All in all, I spent about 15 minutes copying all the answers to one document and about 5 minutes to figure out the answer and to submit it to Scriv.

Blaine

P.S., Drop your challenges and compete like a MAN! I have dropped all mine and will play confidently based on my talent and knowledge. I won't rely on bullying the proctor to raise my grade!

(Unless I think I can get away with it!)
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I truly admire ALL of YOU! This thread makes me smile and laugh.

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
            [...]All in all, I spent about 15 minutes copying all the answers to one document and about 5 minutes to figure out the answer and to submit it to Scriv.[...]
            Sheesh...it took me longer than that to read the riddle. By then I'd spent yesterday's discrentionary time! Bottom line is...I never, ever woulda figured it out.

That was super creative, Scriv, but please, Please, PLEASE don't ever do that again!

Comment

...aaaaand Aloha Kakahiaka to you, too, Blaine.

Like I said, I figured you'd get it, with your knowledge base and experience in working with major Hawaiian institutions. Twas a bit more twisty for this Mainlander, neither born nor raised nor ever resident in the state of Hawai`i, to suss out. I suspect more people could have figured it out if it had been in a simpler form - but that Scrivener's creative presentation scared off a few participants, thinking it was just too complex to decode. (A good play, that.)

You do realize that you had the best chance of anyone to eliminate incapacitate slow down your sister's progress in this game, and that you failed missed the opportunity didn't do it, yeah? Gonna be tough to live with that, sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                You do realize that you had the best chance of anyone to eliminate incapacitate slow down your sister's progress in this game, and that you failed missed the opportunity didn't do it, yeah? Gonna be tough to live with that, sir.
                Contest ain't over, yet, brah!

You live closer to them than I do. You could always take a drive over there and have a word with her about her unsportswomanlike conduct. "C'mon, Kalei, throw the contest! I'll give you a cookie!"

Oh, did I mention Kalei's husband is like, 6'7", 300 lbs.? Once entertained trying out for the NFL, walk-on?

Yeah, tell Kurt I said "hi."

Comment

"C'mon, Kalei, throw the contest! I'll give you a cookie!"

Oh, did I mention Kalei's husband is like, 6'7", 300 lbs.? Once entertained trying out for the NFL, walk-on?

Yeah, tell Kurt I said "hi."
                  More likely, my response after meeting him would be "what contest?"

Then, I would request a little privacy, as I go to change my pants.

Comment

BOYS! No more naninanibooboos or time outs all around! A minute for every year alive!

Around my house I'd love a time out! That would be a solid block of time to nap!

@;-)
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                      BOYS! No more naninanibooboos or time outs all around! A minute for every year alive!
                      Cool - I'm gettin' a break - whee!

Comment

I did the same as Leo Lakio and Blaine - I listed out all the 1's, 2's, and then the 3's on a piece of paper. As I was listing the #3's I got it half way. Took me about 5 minutes. Having worked at the Hawaii State Capital when I was in High School, I saw the seal all the time. I used to think it was so "podagee" because it contained so much "stuff" on it! I think it's pretty, now.

As for being in first, if you didn't notice Leo - I missed a music question the other night! Music's not my strong point. Maybe you can beg Scriv for more music questions! ALWAYS "get chance" you know!
                        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

P.S., Drop your challenges and compete like a MAN! I have dropped all mine and will play confidently based on my talent and knowledge. I won't rely on bullying the proctor to raise my grade!

(Unless I think I can get away with it!)

Hmmmmmmmmm....I seem to remember a certain "Twitter Post" yesterday from Scrivener telling me about one "really good bribe" from one zztype that could cinch the win in the event of a tie! Compete like a man, huh? Does that include BRIBES??

Hey......if Scriv can take bribes, I can take bribes for throwing the lead, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                            Hmmmmmmmmm....I seem to remember a certain "Twitter Post" yesterday from Scrivener telling me about one "really good bribe" from one zztype that could cinch the win in the event of a tie! Compete like a man, huh? Does that include BRIBES??

Hey......if Scriv can take bribes, I can take bribes for throwing the lead, too!
                            Wait, wait, wait --- are you suggesting there may be some sort of collusion going on in this game? Hmmm...HT's own "doping" scandal, perhaps...TwitterGate!

Maybe all the parties presently under suspicion should be suspended from the game. Gosh, now who would that leave in the lead, all squeaky-clean (well, certainly squeaky, but that comes with aging)? I wonder...let me just go check the stats... ... ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              ... could cinch the win in the event of a tie!
                              Ehhhh? Are we conceding? Could there possibly be a tie here? What are the odds of THAT happening? If the contest did devolve to a tie, that would mean that Kalei would miss one or two questions over, oh, the next 5 days?

What would prompt that to happen?

Comment

Ehhhh? Are we conceding? Could there possibly be a tie here? What are the odds of THAT happening? If the contest did devolve to a tie, that would mean that Kalei would miss one or two questions over, oh, the next 5 days?

What would prompt that to happen?

Yeah, you're right...NO CHANCE that's happening! But I'm still open to bribes!

Comment

Working...
                                X