Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Gahhhh! Almost forgot to turn in tonight's answers! The other time I forgot, I fell behind and was never able to catch up. If I had missed tonight's questions, I would be TOAST!

Here's a reminder, kiddies: It's 8:15 p.m. Do you know where your trivia is?

Blaine
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

damn, I'm 10 pts. off the lead? this could be one of the few things I can't catch older people in.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

just a little heads-up. my subscription wifi is misbehaving, and i am typing this (with my thumbs) on my smartphone. normally, i'd go find a signal elsewhere, but i am running on three hours' sleep in the past 40 hours, and those three i had just now. so i'm a mess.

i'll hang out here 'til 9:00, but if my access is not restored by then, everyone take a day off and come back tuesday night ready to talk about shakespeare! i'll post an update at 9:00!

i suspect kaleii99 had something to do with this...
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

oops. i meant 9:30. do you know there's no EDIT button in the mobile version of HT?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

okay. sorry. no net access. i've subscribed to this service for 18 months, and this is only the third time i've had this problem, so i'm okay. the smartphone just isn't built for the complicated machinery of trivia judging.

please check back tomorrow. and i'm not kidding about shakespeare!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
              damn, I'm 10 pts. off the lead? this could be one of the few things I can't catch older people in.
              Uh, Mikey, sorry, but it's more like 28 points off the lead... Ya need a few touchdowns with point after to clear the Goat Lady.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
                Uh, Mikey, sorry, but it's more like 28 points off the lead... Ya need a few touchdowns with point after to clear the Goat Lady.
                LOL, my eyes crossed 'cause I've been up for 21 hours. Can I get 25 pts. per answer if I call for the black basketball?
                Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

*shivering and shaking* Having HT Trivia withdrawls...I'm gonna need intervention once this is over....
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I've encouraged a couple of people to get something else going when the trivia's done. We'll see if someone can come up with something that I can participate in!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      I've encouraged a couple of people to get something else going when the trivia's done. We'll see if someone can come up with something that I can participate in!
                      Sooooo...where's your holiday avatar?!

Comment

• Day 29 Answers

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                        Here are the answers for Day 29!

First, I need to say that I'm sorry I haven't worked through the appeals yet. I hoped to get it done Monday, but I was so wasted from pulling an all-nighter in my classroom Sunday night (I had only enough time to go home, shower, and get right back to work) that I could barely see straight and I was sweating profusely pretty much all day!. Everywhere I went, people said, "Hey, are you okay?" Anyway, then I thought I'd get it done this afternoon, but I still wasn't recovered. *doubly sheepish*

I'm feeling more myself this evening, though. So I'll take care of it tomorrow. Seriously! And in case you're wondering (because I'd be wondering) if I just waited all this time in order to see if it'd make any difference or not, the answer is no. I'm just a little swamped!

Category: That Would Be...Illogical.
                        Participant-submitted question!

What classic television show aired an episode in which Greg Brady appeared in drag and Mr. Spock spoke with a Hispanic accent?
                        I never cared for Mission: Impossible, but if I knew this episode, titled "Gitano," were on, I wouldn't miss it! Choosing to accept this mission were helen, tutusue, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, and zztype! What? No Kalei99? No, because she is the submitter of this question, and she earns one point because at least one person got it right!

Category: Coffee, Tea, or...Me?
                        Participant-submitted question!

What major airline once had a president who was born and raised in Hawaii and who is believed to have invented the stewardess?
                        This question, from zztype, is a fascinating story. Here are two links to stories about the guy. Yes, we're talking about United Airlines's William Patterson.

Flying the friendly skies on that question were liberty, Peshkwe, Kalei99, Mike_Lowery, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, mel, and InfinityProductions!

Category: Hare-Raising Tales
                        What adverb did Bugs Bunny use (twice!) to describe the way he would cut Elmer Fudd's hair?
                        Welcome to my shop!
                        Let me cut your mop!
                        Let me shave your crop!
                        Daaaaaintily! Daaaaaaaintily!

Whether you realize it or not, you KNOW this cartoon. It is one of the best cartoons EVER! It is the best Bugs, better than "What's Opera, Doc," even! Free plastic combs go to liberty, Peshkwe, Kalei99, Mike_Lowery, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and acousticlady!

I'd forgotten, of course, that tutusue's father WROTE EPISODES of Merrie Melodies and Loony Tunes, but he did not write this one, alas!

Here are the current scores, with appeals still pending!

77.5: Kalei99
                        71.25: Leo Lakio
                        65.25: zztype
                        61.75: liberty
                        58.75: tutusue
                        57.75: acousticlady
                        56.75: Surfingfarmboy
                        49.25: Mike_Lowery
                        48.25: InfinityProductions
                        45: lavagal
                        36.5: CranBeree
                        36: mel
                        34: Peshkwe
                        30: kanahina
                        21.75: helen
                        11.5: Palama Kid
                        10.25: kiwidiva
                        9.5: jdub

New questions: Next post!
                        Last edited by scrivener; December 4, 2007, 08:48 PM. Reason: "The first time that I got it, I was just ten years old: I got it from the kitty next door!"
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Day 30 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                          Here are the questions for Day 30!

1. Category: Fire and Device
                            For one-fourth of a point each, identify the literary device illustrated by the quotes from Romeo and Juliet! Your English teacher told you this stuff would come in handy someday, and that day is today!

The first four are figures of speech. The rest...could be anything!
                            1. Romeo: "But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? / It is the east, and Juliet is the sun." (II.ii)
                            2. Juliet: "For thou wilt lie upon the wings of night / Whiter than new snow on a raven's back. / Come, gentle night, come, loving, black-brow'd night" (III.ii)
                            3. Juliet: "I will not fail: 'tis twenty years till then." (II.ii)
                            4. Romeo: "It seems she hangs upon the cheek of night / Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope's ear..." (II.ii)
                            5. Juliet: "Beautiful tyrant! fiend angelical!" (III.ii)
                            6. Mercutio: "You are a lover; borrow Cupid's wings, / And soar with them above a common bound."
                              Romeo: "I am too sore enpierced with his shaft..." (I.iv)
                            7. Mercutio: "You are a lover; borrow Cupid's wings, / And soar with them above a common bound."
                              Romeo: "I am too sore enpierced with his shaft..."
                              (this is not a typo! give me two literary devices for these same two lines!)
                            8. Prince: "If ever you disturb our streets again, / Your lives shall pay the forfeit of the peace." (I.i)

Before you answer these, please know that I'm going with the strict definitions of the terms...so even though ALL figurative language is metaphorical, I'm only using "metaphor" in its specifically defined manner. If this doesn't make sense to you, feel free to PM me for clarification!

2. Category: "We're the Party People, Night and Day / Living Crazy, That's the Only Way!"
                            Three famed parallel streets in Kalihi are known as the "political" streets, but there is a fourth street in Makiki that COULD pass as yet a fourth political street! What are these four political streets?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 5! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                          Last edited by scrivener; December 4, 2007, 08:53 PM. Reason: "If you wanna ride, don't ride the white horse!"
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Gahhhh. Got my wish, didn't I? Heh.

Comment

Oh, come on! They're not that bad, and some of them have more than one acceptable answer! You can do this! Come see me after school and we'll talk!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                                Me too! Craving that is! I couldn't cave into it tho' 'cuz I'm off chocolate, caffeine and booze.
                                Gee. I don't know if I'd recognize Sue without a glass of white wine nearby! Will you be okay to imbibe by Tuesday night, if you join us then?
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X