Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Ummm...can I get credit for being too old to remember?!
    Originally posted by zztype View Post
    HEY, YEAH!!! ME, TOO!!!
    I'm SURE he already gave you those bonus points ... you probably just don't remember. Don't worry about it. Here - have another Senior Diet Coke.

Comment

• Day 31 Answers!

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
      Here are the answers for Day 31!

Category: Tree Scoops Rice, Revisited
      What Honolulu restaurant, built where an old neighborhood market used to be, has an enormous (at least thirty feet tall) tree growing right up through it?
      The Hungry Lion in Nuuanu. The tree is huge. In addition to working in Nuuanu for close to ten years, I used to live in Pauoa and have had more than my fair share of meals there. It's not very good; it's one of those places where you have to know what to order. Surfingfarmboy also has an irrational attachment to the place.

It is on the former site of Chun Hoon Market. In fact, I think that entire complex is called Chun Hoon Plaza or something like that.

liberty, Leo_Lakio, Peshkwe, Kalei99, acousticlady, lavagal, and zztype will all have the June Jones with extra gravy, and it's on me.

Category: Shape of Things to Come
      When viewed from above, what shape is the Iolani Palace bandstand?
      The structure has eight sides, so the answer I was looking for was "octagon," but when I took a screen shot in Google Earth, I noticed it looked like a star, too, so one person is getting credit for that answer.

However, CranBeree's answer of "a breast," while absolutely wonderful and somewhat titillating, is not really a shape and therefore worth no points, but you got a million points in my heart, Cran!

Gold stars for helen, Mike_Lowery, liberty, Leo_Lakio, Peshkwe, Kalei99, acousticlady, Palama Kid, mel, zztype, and tutusue!

Category: I'm Not Bad...I'm Just Drawn That Way
      Jesse James and Butch Cassidy are among the Old West's most notorious figures, but some would say they couldn't hold a candle to four cartoon villains, bent on defeating truth and love, named in their honor! What is the cartoon?
      We're talking about the villains in Team Rocket (which several of you guessed), but the question asks what cartoon we're talking about, and that's Pokemon.

Extra Pokeballs for Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, zztype, and tutusue for getting that one!

-----

And now for some old business: The Appeals.

Day 10
      acousticlady: .5 for her answer about the teppan-yaki sides. Raw potatoes are served wrapped up in the steak, so I guess you could consider them part of the main course and not a side!

Leo Lakio: No for "the Krypton Factor" because it doesn't seem that questions were asked of contestants while they were in the hamster wheel, and you still get nothing for "garlic rice." Otherwise, you could have said, "Pepsi," and, since it was served alongside your meal, it would count as a side. Uh-uh.

Day 12
      zztype: No for "collagen" because you submitted more than one answer. I did look at the rules as I've written them, and the spirit of the rule is basically that you can resubmit answers before the deadline (which you have often done) and I'll take your most recent submission as your final answer; in this case, this was one submission and your answer was unclear.

Day 15
      Leo Lakio: No for "Lost." I looked at the way the question was worded, and it says, "unintentionally made himself bald." This discounts natural balding, so I can't count Terry O'Quinn's baldness.

Which means I can't count "Star Trek: The Next Generation" either, so mel and InfinityProductions are losing the one point I gave them for that answer that day! Sorry! But I do want to get this stuff right!

Day 26
      Mike_Lowery, Leo Lakio, mel, and lavagal get .5 for B&O Railroad.
      zztype: No extra point for your answer. You already had a full point for a correct answer. If better answers are worth more, Kalei99 would have gotten four points for her rhyming answer to the Hawaii State Seal question!

Day 30
      Peshkwe: .25 for zoomorphism, but nothing for irony. Romeo has been moony since the beginning of this play; Mercutio is acting totally in character, and so is Romeo.

Kalei99: Heck no for iambic pentameter. Same to you, liberty!

-----

82: Kalei99
      77.5: Leo Lakio
      69.25: zztype
      66.5: liberty
      61.75: tutusue
      60.75: acousticlady
      58.75: Surfingfarmboy
      54: Mike_Lowery
      48.25: InfinityProductions
      47.75: lavagal
      37.5: CranBeree
      37: mel
      37.5: Peshkwe
      30: kanahina
      23.75: helen
      13: Palama Kid
      10.25: kiwidiva
      9.5: jdub

New questions, next post...but you have to wait until about 10:00 this evening, because I have to run a quick errand! Sorry!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Re: Day 31 Answers!

Originally posted by scrivener View Post

Day 15
        Leo Lakio: No for "Lost." I looked at the way the question was worded, and it says, "unintentionally made himself bald." This discounts natural balding, so I can't count Terry O'Quinn's baldness.

Which means I can't count "Star Trek: The Next Generation" either, so mel and InfinityProductions are losing the one point I gave them for that answer that day! Sorry! But I do want to get this stuff right!

I think it is totally unfair for me to loose points based on someone else's appeal long after I thought my answer was correct!!!!

Natural balding is something no one can control and is UNINTENTIONAL!!! Shaving your head like Yul Brenner to be bald is INTENTIONAL. There was no intent on any of the actors parts to be bald. It was something they cannot CONTROL!!!

Man I am pissed and this is the only public statement so far that I am making on this game.

My points are very few but I do not deserve to be stripped of a point just because the teacher/gamemaster flubbed up on his definitions.

If this were like a workers' contract or something, you'd probably be taken to court or something. It is unfair to take something away long after it has been awarded. With my low number count every point counts.

I certainly hope this was the last day of this game. I'm outta here!
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          I think it is totally unfair for me to loose points based on someone else's appeal long after I thought my answer was correct!
          I agree that it's unfortunate, but I disagree that it's unfair. Correct is correct and incorrect is incorrect. You got credit for an incorrect answer, and I apologize for that mistake, but I can't apologize for correcting my mistake.

Natural balding is something no one can control and is UNINTENTIONAL!!! Shaving your head like Yul Brenner to be bald is INTENTIONAL. There was no intent on any of the actors parts to be bald. It was something they cannot CONTROL!!!
          I know. But the question says the actor unintentionally did it to himself, and I don't think natural balding is something someone does to himself. If anything, a man's maternal grandfather is who really does it to him.

My points are very few but I do not deserve to be stripped of a point just because the teacher/gamemaster flubbed up on his definitions.
          If I thought it was an error in my definitions, I'd give everyone the points or restate the question and give everyone another shot at it. In this case, what I flubbed on was in re-reading my own question. I'm rather surprised nobody called me on it, to be honest.

It's true that you don't have as many points as some others, but I can't let that determine whether an answer is right or wrong, or THAT would be unfair.

If this were like a workers' contract or something, you'd probably be taken to court or something. It is unfair to take something away long after it has been awarded. With my low number count every point counts.
          Maybe. But if the bank accidentally puts more money in your account than is due, you don't get to keep the money. You have to give it back. In this case, you got a point for an answer that didn't answer the question correctly. I'm sorry about that, but the only right thing to do is adjust the score accordingly.

I am sincerely sorry to have pissed you off and even sorrier to see you drop out of the game. I've told you in pmail that I appreciate your participation and I meant that. Alas, I'm bound to make a few mistakes along the way, but as long as I can fix them, I will.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

But I am the victim of YOUR mistake of awarding me and the other player the point. You should just fess up and award the 3 challenges the points because the bottom line is that NATURAL BALDING IS UNINITENTIONAL. the key word here is UNINTENTIONAL in my definition.

I know I won't win this argument so you might as well take my name and all fo my points out of the subsequent point tallies and the final count whenever that happens. I don't want to be counted now.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Haha! That's okay, I was expecting that!

Comment

• Day 32 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                Here are the questions for Day 32!

1. Category: They're Grrrrrrrrape!
                  Participant-submitted question!

If you add crusted wine and beeswing into your cooking, you'll get brighter veggies, fluffier flapjacks and sweeter lollies! What are you putting into that strange brew?

2. Category: "Hey You Guuuuuuuuys!"
                  What is that gigantic blade in front of Hawaiian Electric's offices, across the Blaisdell Center?

3. Category: Baby You Can Drive My Car
                  What sporty Volkswagen model was so closely related to the Beetle that many of its parts were interchangeable with a Beetle's?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, December 7! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hey! What about my appeal for my Sacamento Bee question - that never got addressed. Since other questions that weren't googlable were used in the game - that one should be counted. Liberty & I should get that one, right?

No whining here....just asking nicely....pretty please....with a cherry on top!
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Day 15

Scrivener, I completely accept your decisions on all my appeals.

Mel (and InfinityProductions), I am sorry that my appeal led you to lose a point that you had received, but I did point out to Scrivener (in my PM appeal) that Mr. O'Quinn's baldness at an early age was under the same circumstance as Mr. Stewart's, and thus if he granted points for the one case, he should grant them for the other.

But I did read the question to mean what Scrivener says he meant. I knew that my answer did not necessarily fit the exact definition, but as I said, if he accepted one variation, he should also accept another similar one. Or, as he chose to do, NOT accept any of them.

If anyone should be upset, perhaps it should be me - in second place behind Kalei99 for so much of the game, every point would help me to catch up. But I am not upset, for two reasons: first, I prefer fairness in the game, rather than the points, and I believe Scrivener has ruled in that manner; and second, it would diminish the "fun" factor of the game - which, in the end, is all this is about.

Bragging rights and small prizes are not the reason I played all this time - it was simply a bit of fun, and I am grateful to Scrivener for the opportunity. I hope everyone can take a similar perspective, and that Scrivener will not hesitate to do this again.

Comment

We're definitely doing it again, and next time, I'll word every question so that its answer COULD be but ISN'T "breast." 'Cause then it will be REALLY fun!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Leo Lakio: Oh hush! There's no need to apologize to me. Instead of appealing for points maybe we should focus on appealing to take away points from Kalei99! I am so just kidding, trying to clear the bit 'o tension in the air.

Have fun, and really I've been learning a lot so I'm grateful for the random knowledge.

HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY ALL!
                        ___
                        "Be god to each other."

Comment

• Re: Day 26 Answers

And now for some old business: The Appeals.
                          There were a few wrong answers ... Nii Superette (which I will look into in just a bit)
                          Not so much an appeal as a query - did you ever investigate whether this answer (day 26, question 3) might have also been correct (even though it wasn't the one you thought of)?

The time-frame of its founding might fit the question, and the original owners have passed on - and I believe it is in the hands of the next generation. I'm curious largely because I only learned of this place through your posts about it, Scrivener.

Comment

I did. I couldn't confirm that it accurately answered the question.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

We're definitely doing it again, and next time, I'll word every question so that its answer COULD be but ISN'T "breast." 'Cause then it will be REALLY fun!

i want to APPEAL!!! its in the shape of a breast!! that's a shape..hehe

Comment

• Re: Day 26 Answers

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Not so much an appeal as a query - did you ever investigate whether this answer (day 26, question 3) might have also been correct (even though it wasn't the one you thought of)?

The time-frame of its founding might fit the question, and the original owners have passed on - and I believe it is in the hands of the next generation. I'm curious largely because I only learned of this place through your posts about it, Scrivener.

I originally thought Nii Superette, too. But according to the BBB the original Start Date was August, 1976.

Name: Nii Superette, Inc.
                                Phone: (808) 677-3281
                                Fax: (808) 677-0599
                                Address: 94-1013 Waipahu St.
                                Waipahu, HI 96797
                                Original Business Start Date: August 1976
                                Principal: Mr. Norman Nii, Owner
                                Customer Contact: Mr. Norman Nii, Owner - niisuperette@hawaiiantel.net
                                Entity: Corporation
                                Incorporated: August 1976, HI
                                TOB Classification: Grocery - Bulk Food Stores, Grocers-Retail

Not sure if they were in business before then, but Kiso and Saiki show original start dates of 1946 & 1948 - even though they incorporated at a later date.

Another Ancient Chinese Secret revealed!
                                So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Working...
                                X