Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

http://www.angelfire.com/ab6/vwhistory/

While the Karmann-Ghia represented the sporty, elegant side of the Beetle family, another member, the Type 181 diametrically opposed it. A strictly utilitarian vehicle, the 181's design echoed that of the wartime Kübelwagen. It went into production at the Hanover factory in 1970, and though initially 1500 powered, the engine was soon replaced by the 1600cc unit. The Type 181 became known as the Trekker in Europe, as the Thing in the US, and as the Safari in Mexico. In 1973, production transferred to Mexico, and the car officially was imported into the US. Because of its military-like appearance and high ground clearance, 2000 were actually built for the German army in 1970. Some also went to the Belgian and Dutch armed forces.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karmann_Ghia
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      <sigh> Now it's my turn to say I can't believe I missed posting the answers to yesterday's questions! I did a total brain fut!

Scriv...I'd like to appeal all of Day 32. I need another 24 hours! <ggg>
      Gee, if I can somehow get you to also miss Sunday's deadline...... I can pull ahead............. Assuming of course that I get all three.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
        Ehhh, funnykine! Where stay da Goat Lady? I know she went ski, but she live 30 minutes from the slopes! No way she would miss this.

Hmmmmm.
        I thougth You and Leo Lakio would appreciate my lack of energy yesterday! I did, however, know my slasher movies! I'm not much of a fan anymore - t back in the 80's I LOVED horror movies. What was I thinking??

I'm mad at myself for the other two questions. I saw Union park on Google map but it didn't (and still doesn't) look much like the Union Jack to me. I was looking for something more definitive...

As for the water fountain - that's the first thing that came to mind. I even told myself that I would guess "natural spring" or "artesian well" if I couldn't find anything. I found an article about the Hawaii's 1st water fountain on Bethel - which came from a well in the area. Butn my brain got fuzzy and I got tired and I forgot about my orginal answer...said something stupid in stead.

See Leo...you had your chance!
        So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

I think it does. Even has the "thick and thin" crosses! In fact, I'm positive that the flag is a design feature of Thomas Square, and not just an accident.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

I think it does. Even has the "thick and thin" crosses! In fact, I'm positive that the flag is a design feature of Thomas Square, and not just an accident.

I have to agree. It's the only place that's blocked out in a 2 to 1.5 (give or take) flag rectangle. That's what I looked for as a first step 'cause if it was any other shape even with the thick and thin stripes it wouldn't be a 'flag', other shapes would have led to challenges....and it didn't have any other random trails breaking up the pattern.

I wonder if you went to the library or historical society you could find the original schematics for the park would it show a simple design as what's there or something more elaborate that's been lost through the years.

And...nope...I've never been out to your neck of the world.

Comment

As Scrivener noted, "sporty" is completely subjective. The Thing resembled a Jeep (also originally a military vehicle), and a lot of people consider Jeeps to be "sporty." He didn't say it was a "sports car" - that would be different.

One of the Wikipedia articles you cited, Blaine, even stated that part of the reason behind designing The Thing was a desire for "a durable, fun, off-road capable vehicle."

As for the interchangeability of parts, I hereby grant permission for Scrivener to share my PM appeal with you, if you wish to see the references I cited. They show that The Thing fits his description of being "so closely related to the Beetle that many of its parts were interchangeable with a Beetle's."

~~~~~~~~~~
              The AF is kicking herself for not knowing Thomas Square - she says she should have thought of that. I, on the other hand, looked right in that region on Google Earth and missed it. Seeing the photo today, I can certainly see the pattern, but I would not have recognized it otherwise - the trees block part of the view, and the paths are faded (but that's neither an appeal nor a complaint.)

~~~~~~~~~~
              Is it too early to congratulate Kalei99 on a well-played game? She took an early lead and kept it throughout, and I don't see how she could lose it with just one more round (unless Scrivener has something tricky in the works - which would not surprise me.)
              Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 9, 2007, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                Is it too early to congratulate Kalei99 on a well-played game? She took an early lead and kept it throughout, and I don't see how she could lose it with just one more round (unless Scrivener has something tricky in the works - which would not surprise me.)
                I fully expect the unexpected!
                So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

I think it's funny that one of the trivia questions and one of the trivia answers are located right next to each other -- Honolulu Academy of Arts and Thomas Square! D'oh!

Comment

DETERMINED!

To at least finish the game. My apologies to everyone, especially Scriv for my waning participation since moving to Maui. Much on my mind, and making the most of my opportunity to get to know my nephews and niece while here, as well as spend time with my sister. I've been trying to get them involved with posing the questions (actually, for help) but they just don't understand my whole "geek life" that I enjoy so much.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Something's taking longer at school than I expected, so I'll be a little late. Should have things rolling by 9:45.

We need a sheep smiley.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

• Day 34 Questions: At Last

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                        Here are the questions for Day 34 (Holy Moly)!

Category: They Don't Make 'Em Like That in Topeka!
                        In order to answer the final questions in this fourth HawaiiThreads trivia contest, you need to listen to three audio files.

The easy way to do it is to click here, which directs you away from HT and toward the URL of my humble little podcast. These questions have nothing to do with the podcast; it's just a convenient place for me to put the questions.

You'll be asked for a password. Please enter "juliaroberts" without the quotation marks for the password.

You will see three clickable buttons which will stream the audio right in your browser. Alternatively, you can click the download links and send the MP3s right to your computer and listen to it in whatever manner suits you.

If you click the download link and the files start playing in your browser, click your back button, then right-click the link (if you've got a two-button mouse) and save the file wherever, or ctrl-click the link (if you've got a Mac) and save the file wherever.

If neither the streaming audio nor the download link works for you, please send me private mail with your email address, and I'll email you the files!

Your task is simply to identify the Hawaii-connected actress whose voice you hear in each clip. I think they fall into easy (#2), medium (#3), and hard (#1) difficulty levels, but your opinion may differ!

Please send me your answers in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 Monday night, December 10!

Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Clarification, please! I don't know if it was intentional or not, but your statement seems to suggest that there is one actress. But it is apparent that there are three actresses, unless I am badly mistaken.

Your task is simply to identify the Hawaii-connected actress whose voice you hear in each clip. I think they fall into easy (#2), medium (#3), and hard (#1) difficulty levels, but your opinion may differ!
                          Is clarification in order?

Mahalo.

Comment

Hm. Sorry. Each clip has one actress. Identify the actress in each clip. It's not all one actress. It's three.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

*BUMP*

C'mon, Scriv, put a nail in it already!

Blaine (...as I crash headlong into the raging loser column, in flames!)

Comment

*BUMP*

C'mon, Scriv, put a nail in it already!

Blaine (...as I crash headlong into the raging loser column, in flames!)

Hey! You're in fine company! @;-)
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X