Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Umm...I got two out of three right - so howcum I only get 1.5 in the standings?
    I'll fix it tonight. Solly.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Umm...I got two out of three right - so howcum I only get 1.5 in the standings?
      Kama'aina discount!
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
        Kama'aina discount!
        Offer not good in Alaska, Hawai`i or Puerto Rico.

Comment

'Eh Leo stay with us in the 1.5 group!
          ___
          "Be god to each other."

Comment

Now I got 2 comin' up close behind me......

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
              Here are the answers for Day 2!

Category: Tripper? I Don't Even Know 'Er!
              On TV's Friends, the main characters' favorite hangout is a cafe called Central Perk. For half a point each, what are the names of the characters' favorite hangouts in each of these television shows?
              • Taxi: Mario’s. I was hoping some real Taxi fan would say “Jim’s Mario’s,” but that didn’t happen. ☺
              • Three's Company: The Regal Beagle. Yes, Jack owned a bistro called Jack’s Bistro, but that was never a hangout the way the Beagle was.
              • Beverly Hills, 90210: The Peach Pit (After Dark)
              • Happy Days: Arnold’s
              • Seinfeld: Monk’s Cafe
              • Ally McBeal: Okay, this was the trick question. It is true that the characters never referred to this establishment by any name other than “the bar,” but there were clues in a few episodes (an engraving on a trophy for one, and an inside-the-bar view of the front window, complete with signage) that the name of Vonda Shepherd’s permanent gig was the Martini Bar.

helen and lavagal got 2 for 1 point
              acousticlady got 3 for 1.5 points
              zztype and Leo Lakio and jdub and mel got 4 for 2 points
              tutuesue, liberty, CranBeree, and InfinityProductions got 5 for 2.5 points
              Kalei99 and Surfingfarmboy got 6 for 3 points

Category: That's Using the Old Noodle
              What Maui establishment is revered by locals for its dry saimin, served with a broth for dipping?
              Sam Sato’s in the industrial part of Wailuku. If you haven’t been there, you really must check it out. It was one of the pleasant surprises of my trip there last March. Man, that one must have been a piece of cake to Google.

Give tutusue, zztype, liberty, CranBeree, Kalei99, Infinityproductions, Leo Lakio, acousticlady, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and lavagal a great, big meatstick for getting it right!

Here are the scores after two days!
              5: acousticlady, zztype, InfinityProductions, Leo Lakio
              4.5: liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy
              4: tutusue
              3.5: Cranberee
              3: mel
              2.5: lavagal
              2: jdub
              1: helen

Please check your scores and verify that I got them right. For some reason, I had more trouble than usual keeping scores straight this evening.

We’re just getting rolling, so don’t be afraid to jump on in! New questions, next post!
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
                Here are the questions for Day 3!
                1. Category: Art Calorie
                  What product contains 16 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 150 milligrams of sodium, 7 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of sugars, and 8 grams of protein for each two-tablespoon serving?

2. Category: In One Accord
                  What two musical chords are represented by this notation?

|---2------0------
                  |---2------2------
                  |---2------0------
                  |---4------2------
                  |---4------0------
                  |---2------x------

3. Category: Histrionics
                  What joins the histories of The Queen's Hospital and Saint Andrew's Priory?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 6! Good luck, and have fun!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Whoa man. Was feeling real good after round two, but not so good after reading round three questions...
                  So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                    Whoa man. Was feeling real good after round two, but not so good after reading round three questions...
                    At first reading I knew only one answer the others, were they written in Sanskrit?
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 3!

Category: Art Calorie
                      What product contains 16 grams of saturated fat, 0 grams of trans fat, 0 milligrams of cholesterol, 150 milligrams of sodium, 7 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of sugars, and 8 grams of protein for each two-tablespoon serving?
                      Peanut butter! Which it seemed LOTS of people knew and LOTS of people were able to make good guesses about. Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!

Best wrong answer: zztype’s “library paste.”

Category: In One Accord
                      What two musical chords are represented by this notation?

|---2------0------
                      |---2------2------
                      |---2------0------
                      |---4------2------
                      |---4------0------
                      |---2------x------
                      This notation is called guitar tablature. The horizontal lines represented the six strings of the guitar, while the numbers represent which fret each string should be played upon. These particular chords are F#m (F-sharp minor) and A7. Question: How many of you at least fingered an imaginary guitar so you could see what chord your hand was making? That's what I would have done.

Two cans of Finger-Ease and one point each to zztype, liberty, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and jdub!

Category: Histrionics
                      What joins the histories of The Queen's Hospital and Saint Andrew's Priory?
                      They were both founded by Queen Emma, a woman I admire a great deal. If you said anything about Queen Emma, you got the point, as did zztype, tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, InfinityProductions, mel, acousticlady, and lavagal.

A note about the wording here: Some people said something about being confused by my use of “what” instead of “who.” Please remember that you’re dealing (for good or ill!) with an English teacher, and I might use the language a certain way that’s grammatically correct but might not be how you’d have used it. In this case, the “what” is the FACT that they were both founded by Queen Emma. A fact is a what, not a who. I did this because simply asking “who” left room for all kinds of possibly correct answers, or an unclear understanding of what it is Queen Emma did for both these institutions. In the long run, that didn’t matter because I decided any mention of Queen Emma was going to be okay. However, when I composed the questions, I had it in mind that it was the founding I was focusing on. ☺

Okay! Here are the current scores after three days!
                      Here are the scores after two days!
                      8: liberty
                      7.5: Kalei99
                      7: zztype, Leo Lakio, acousticlady
                      6.5: Surfingfarmboy
                      6: tutusue, InfinityProductions
                      4.5: lavagal
                      4: mel
                      3.5: Cranberee
                      3: jdub
                      1: helen

* please note that liberty’s score was wrong as I posted it last night…this score reflects the correction.

New questions, next post!
                      Last edited by scrivener; November 6, 2007, 08:13 PM. Reason: "...that's why I play in right field, way out where the dandelions grow!"
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 4!
                        1. Category: All Hands on Deck
                          I don't know if this card game is played nationally, but it's been a local favorite among young people at least since the late seventies. In the game of Speed, what does it mean if "doubles and triples" are allowed?

2. Category: Can You Easel Your Way Out of This One?
                          Who painted this?

3. Category: Getting Reamed
                          What was the Honolulu Paper Company better known as?

We're still in the beginning stages of this game, and it looks like everyone's still in it, so if you've been a wallflower who wants to be the prom queen, jump on in and hustle! You got to boogie oogie oogie 'til you just can't boogie no more!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 7! Good luck, and have fun!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          [...]Why was that such an educated guess for some of you? tutusue, liberty, Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, acousticlady, and lavagal all stuck that one to the roofs of their mouths!
                          The nutritional label on a jar of peanut butter is stuck in my mind from my days of low carbing!
                          [...]* please note that liberty’s score was wrong as I posted it last night…this score reflects the correction.
                          I demand a recount. Liberty's too young to read your questions much less answer them correctly! Tablature...smablature!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                            I demand a recount. Liberty's too young to read your questions much less answer them correctly! Tablature...smablature!
                            You already demanded a recount! How'd that work out for you?
                            Liberty may be young, but she's an HPU Sea Warrior, so you know she's smart.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                              You already demanded a recount! How'd that work out for you?
                              Liberty may be young, but she's an HPU Sea Warrior, so you know she's smart.
                              So now you're pickin' on me 'cuz I can't add? Four plus one equals 6, right?
                              Liberty's also an edumacated Waianae Searider! So there!
                              Sorry, SFB, looks like the youngun, Liberty, is the one to beat.

Comment

So I was hoping for at least half a point for my answer with E7sus4, but that chords is actually reversed 0-0-2-0-2-0 rather than 0-2-0-2-0-x and of course no "x". Oh well, I'm having fun anyways!
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X