• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tutusue
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
    Ahhhh! Can't believe I missed posting my answers yesteray!
    And I, personally, thank you for that!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Day 33 Questions

Never mind. Move along. Carry on.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; December 8, 2007, 10:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• acousticlady
    replied

Ahhhh! Can't believe I missed posting my answers yesteray!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Day 33 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the questions for Day 33 (are you kidding me?!?)!

1. Category: You Don't Know Where in the World is Jack!
      Participant-submitted question!

Where in Honolulu would you see a Union Jack as you flew over?

We're not looking for a Hawaii state flag, but a Union Jack in a possibly unexpected place!

Yes, the participant who submits this question encourages you to use Google Earth.

2. Category: They Love You to Pieces
      For a quarter of a point each, identify the movie slasher who:
      1. Killed his older sister, was sent away, escaped, and returned to kill more teenagers.
      2. Fell into a vat of poisonous waste, mutated, then used his powers for good rather than evil.
      3. Killed his wife in front of his young daughter.
      4. Sought vengeance on the girl who decapitated his mother, then killed and killed again. And again.
      5. Killed his mother, preserved his mother, then became his mother.
      6. Killed people under orders from his family so they could make chili with the corpses.

3. Category: Water Friends For?
      What's so special about the drinking fountain at the Honolulu Academy of Arts?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 8! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Day 32 Answers

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the answers for Day 32!

Category: They're Grrrrrrrrape!
    Participant-submitted question!

If you add crusted wine and beeswing into your cooking, you'll get brighter veggies, fluffier flapjacks and sweeter lollies! What are you putting into that strange brew?
    Cream of tartar. Did you folks see how the stuff is made? Wow. This question is from Peshkwe, who gets one point because Mike_Lowery, liberty, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, and Kalei99 got it right!

Category: "Hey You Guuuuuuuuys!"
    What is that gigantic blade in front of Hawaiian Electric's offices, across the Blaisdell Center?
    It's a prop from a wind turbine. Huge, that thing. Looks like a rejected candidate for the black thingie from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I always expect to see monkey hitting each other with femurs in its shadow.

Yay for Mike_Lowery, helen, liberty, Peshkwe, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99, who all got that right!

Category: Baby You Can Drive My Car
    What sporty Volkswagen model was so closely related to the Beetle that many of its parts were interchangeable with a Beetle's?
    We're talking about the Karmann Ghia. I expect some appeals on this one, so please make sure you send a URL for confirmation if you're inclined to argue this one! Peshkwe owned one in Germany! I'm sooooo jealous!

Vroom vroom to Mike_Lowery, Peshkwe, lavagal, zztype, tutusue, Surfingfarmboy, CranBeree, Kalei99, and kanahina for getting that right!

HERE!
    85: Kalei99
    79.5: Leo Lakio
    72.25: zztype
    68.5: liberty
    64.75: tutusue
    61.75: Surfingfarmboy
    60.75: acousticlady
    57: Mike_Lowery
    50.75: lavagal
    48.25: InfinityProductions
    43.5: Peshkwe
    39.5: CranBeree
    [WITHDRAWN]: mel
    31: kanahina
    24.75: helen
    13: Palama Kid
    10.25: kiwidiva
    9.5: jdub

New questions, next post! We only have two more nights' worth of questions to go!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Time to show 'em or fold 'em, people! Lock in those final answers!

Leave a comment:

• Peshkwe
    replied

Originally posted by CranBeree View Post
    i want to APPEAL!!! its in the shape of a breast!! that's a shape..hehe

You need further information to forward your appeal yanno....

What's the cup size?

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Man, that's it? Only since 1976? I moved to Waipahu in 1978 and it seemed like it had been there forever. I wonder if maybe there was another owner who ran a store on that property, and Nii took it over around 1976.

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied
    Re: Day 26 Answers

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Not so much an appeal as a query - did you ever investigate whether this answer (day 26, question 3) might have also been correct (even though it wasn't the one you thought of)?

The time-frame of its founding might fit the question, and the original owners have passed on - and I believe it is in the hands of the next generation. I'm curious largely because I only learned of this place through your posts about it, Scrivener.

I originally thought Nii Superette, too. But according to the BBB the original Start Date was August, 1976.

Name: Nii Superette, Inc.
    Phone: (808) 677-3281
    Fax: (808) 677-0599
    Address: 94-1013 Waipahu St.
    Waipahu, HI 96797
    Original Business Start Date: August 1976
    Principal: Mr. Norman Nii, Owner
    Customer Contact: Mr. Norman Nii, Owner - niisuperette@hawaiiantel.net
    Entity: Corporation
    Incorporated: August 1976, HI
    TOB Classification: Grocery - Bulk Food Stores, Grocers-Retail

Not sure if they were in business before then, but Kiso and Saiki show original start dates of 1946 & 1948 - even though they incorporated at a later date.

Another Ancient Chinese Secret revealed!

Leave a comment:

• CranBeree
    replied

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    We're definitely doing it again, and next time, I'll word every question so that its answer COULD be but ISN'T "breast." 'Cause then it will be REALLY fun!

i want to APPEAL!!! its in the shape of a breast!! that's a shape..hehe

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

I did. I couldn't confirm that it accurately answered the question.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Day 26 Answers

And now for some old business: The Appeals.
    There were a few wrong answers ... Nii Superette (which I will look into in just a bit)
    Not so much an appeal as a query - did you ever investigate whether this answer (day 26, question 3) might have also been correct (even though it wasn't the one you thought of)?

The time-frame of its founding might fit the question, and the original owners have passed on - and I believe it is in the hands of the next generation. I'm curious largely because I only learned of this place through your posts about it, Scrivener.

Leave a comment:

• infinitypro
    replied

Leo Lakio: Oh hush! There's no need to apologize to me. Instead of appealing for points maybe we should focus on appealing to take away points from Kalei99! I am so just kidding, trying to clear the bit 'o tension in the air.

Have fun, and really I've been learning a lot so I'm grateful for the random knowledge.

HAPPY ALOHA FRIDAY ALL!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

We're definitely doing it again, and next time, I'll word every question so that its answer COULD be but ISN'T "breast." 'Cause then it will be REALLY fun!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied
    Re: Day 31 Answers!

Day 15
    Leo Lakio: No for "Lost." I looked at the way the question was worded, and it says, "unintentionally made himself bald." This discounts natural balding, so I can't count Terry O'Quinn's baldness.

Which means I can't count "Star Trek: The Next Generation" either, so mel and InfinityProductions are losing the one point I gave them for that answer that day! Sorry! But I do want to get this stuff right!
    Scrivener, I completely accept your decisions on all my appeals.

Mel (and InfinityProductions), I am sorry that my appeal led you to lose a point that you had received, but I did point out to Scrivener (in my PM appeal) that Mr. O'Quinn's baldness at an early age was under the same circumstance as Mr. Stewart's, and thus if he granted points for the one case, he should grant them for the other.

But I did read the question to mean what Scrivener says he meant. I knew that my answer did not necessarily fit the exact definition, but as I said, if he accepted one variation, he should also accept another similar one. Or, as he chose to do, NOT accept any of them.

If anyone should be upset, perhaps it should be me - in second place behind Kalei99 for so much of the game, every point would help me to catch up. But I am not upset, for two reasons: first, I prefer fairness in the game, rather than the points, and I believe Scrivener has ruled in that manner; and second, it would diminish the "fun" factor of the game - which, in the end, is all this is about.

Bragging rights and small prizes are not the reason I played all this time - it was simply a bit of fun, and I am grateful to Scrivener for the opportunity. I hope everyone can take a similar perspective, and that Scrivener will not hesitate to do this again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X