Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    [...]I even remember the cartoon bird (a stork?) in the commercials.
    I don't think it was a stork. More like a canary with a big bill!!! Remember him/her/it lounging by leaning back against the tail of the plane, wings behind his head or with a glass of champagne in his "hand"?!
    The coffee was just a mistake. I didn't research it, I just pulled it from memory, confused the two. Folgers, It's Mountain Grown."
    Ya know what? Folgers was my first guess, too, even after years of working on those commercials. But that was the 1960s-early 1970s and I knew better than to trust my memory. Thank goodness! The brains cells finally allowed the voice of "Mrs. Olsen" to surface, complete with Swedish accent for "It's mountain grown..."!!!

For NO points can anyone tell me the name of the actress who portrayed Mrs. Olsen for so many years? And, for even fewer points <g>...who was she married to?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      For NO points can anyone tell me the name of the actress who portrayed Mrs. Olsen for so many years? And, for even fewer points <g>...who was she married to?
      http://www.tvacres.com/admascots_mrsolsen.htm

The TV spokeswoman for Folger's Coffee, made by Procter & Gamble. Introduced in 1963, Mrs. Olson (Virginia Christine), was a Swedish woman who seemed to know all the young couples in town whose husband's never asked for a second cup of coffee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Christine

Virginia Christine (right) with her husband, Fritz Feld, in 1979.
      Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I don't think it was a stork. More like a canary with a big bill!!! Remember him/her/it lounging by leaning back against the tail of the plane, wings behind his head or with a glass of champagne in his "hand"?
        Wally Bird

Comment

Originally posted by zztype View Post
          [...]
          Virginia Christine (right) with her husband, Fritz Feld, in 1979.
          DingDingDing!!! And, yes, very googleable!

Funny factoid (altho' my mother wasn't the least bit amused!)...my dad directed all of the Mrs. Olsen/Folgers commercials from that campaign's inception 'til he retired in the mid 1970s. Pop and Virginia were flown from LA to NY to shoot one round of spots. They sat together on the flight. As they walked off the plane a flight attendant acknowledged Virginia and asked for an autograph. Then she looked at my dad, held out her hand and said, "Nice to meet you, Mr. Christine."!!! My poor mom took to her grave her anger over the FA's innocent remark. I doubt it fazed Fritz at all!

'Nother funny factoid...I went into false labor on the set of a Folger's commercial.

I have a :30 mentality!

Comment

'Nother funny factoid...I went into false labor on the set of a Folger's commercial.

I have a :30 mentality!
            You are too funny! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

• Re: Day 20 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
              Here are the answers for Day 20!

Category: Node Out
              Piers Anthony's (so far) thirty-one-novel series takes place in a magical land. To what does this magical land bear an uncanny geographical resemblance?
              The state of Florida. Like many fantasy series, the Xanth series includes maps of the lands in which they are set (a convention begun by the inventor of the genre, J.R.R. Tolkien). It's hilarious to open a Xanth novel and see the state of Florida.

Category: A Pool of Inebriation
              What comic-strip character spends his time getting drunk, participating in soccer matches (and their resulting fights), and engaging in the occasional game of snooker?
              That would be Andy Capp. As a kid, I ever really got the humor much, but I am interested in checking it out now, to see if I'd appreciate it better. Did you know that Capp stopped smoking a few years ago and also stopped beating his wife?

Category: Tempe-rarily Down
              In an episode of Seinfeld, George's father announces that he feels reborn, comparing himself to something rising from Arizona. What is the something?
              The something is a phoenix, as in, "I feel reborn! I'm like a phoenix rising from Arizona!" Check out the audio clip submitted by zztype here.

These people got all three: liberty, Peshkwe, Mike_Lowery, CranBeree, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, zztype, tutusue, InfinityProductions, and lavagal!

kanahina got all but the second; acousticlady and helen got all but the last!

Sheesh. Too easy, these questions!

Here are the current scores, with appeals still pending!
              55: Kalei99
              47.75: Leo Lakio
              44.75: liberty
              43.25: zztype
              41.75: acousticlady
              40.75: tutusue, Surfingfarmboy
              36.75: InfinityProductions
              35.5: lavagal
              32.75: Mike_Lowery
              32.5: CranBeree
              29.5: mel
              26: kanahina
              19: Peshkwe
              17.75: helen
              11.5: Palama Kid
              10.25: kiwidiva
              9.5: jdub

novelinquiriesforthcomingmissive!
              Last edited by scrivener; November 24, 2007, 08:43 PM. Reason: "Your life burns faster! Obey your master!"
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 21!

1. Category: Icy Dead People
                  For fifty-five years, a School Street destination known by its owners' initials kept us cool on hot days. By what name is it known today?

2. Category: Are You Prepositioning Me?
                  Driving to the coast, the sun warmed my arms and legs as I anticipated my dinner with Julia Roberts.

How should this sentence be rewritten for grammatical correctness?

3. Category: "Just Because You Are a Character, That Doesn't Mean You HAVE Character!"
                  Dakota Fanning, Julie Hagerty, Kristin Chenowith (rowr!), Sara Gilbert, Bonnie Hunt, Mary Kay Place, and Lee Remick have all played characters in films or on TV with what first name?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 25! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                Last edited by scrivener; November 24, 2007, 08:48 PM. Reason: "and the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night..."
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Howzit all! And a big aloha from Hong Kong! I see the game has continued on. Not that I thought that it wouldn't. I may get back into the game after getting settled here. To say the least, I am a bit overwhelmed by the pace of this city. It's everthing I thought it would be!

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                    Howzit all! And a big aloha from Hong Kong! I see the game has continued on. Not that I thought that it wouldn't. I may get back into the game after getting settled here. To say the least, I am a bit overwhelmed by the pace of this city. It's everthing I thought it would be!
                    Go for the sight seeing, SFB. I'm in really good company right now in this trivia game, what with you being a 3 time winner! Enjoy Hong Kong and remember my math scholarliness as it relates to time differences!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                      Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Hey! What's this "Beat Kalei" nonsense? No such thing!

I leave tomorrow so I may not have time to submit my answers....

Have fun in Hong Kong, SFB! Let me know the what you think...I'm going to China next year - hopefully!
                      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                        Hey! What's this "Beat Kalei" nonsense? No such thing!

I leave tomorrow so I may not have time to submit my answers....

Have fun in Hong Kong, SFB! Let me know the what you think...I'm going to China next year - hopefully!
                        I was watching the Celtics/Lakers game on Friday, and I thought the crowd was chanting, "BEAT L.A.! BEAT L.A.!" turns out it was "BEAT KALEI! BEAT KALEI!" this HT trivia thing is gettin to be huge in New England.
                        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                          Here are the questions for Day 21!
                          [...]
                          Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 25! Good luck, and beat Kalei!
                          Ooooh man...I'm currently house sitting and connected via dial up. This is painful! I'll be lucky to log on to Google by 9pm!

Comment

Ooooh man...I'm currently house sitting and connected via dial up. This is painful! I'll be lucky to log on to Google by 9pm!

You can ALWAYS use my Ancient Chinese Secret as a back up plan. Would you like me to re-post it for you?
                            So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
                              You can ALWAYS use my Ancient Chinese Secret as a back up plan. Would you like me to re-post it for you?
                              Yes, please! Maybe the others ahead of me will take advantage of it!

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 21!

Category: Icy Dead People
                                For fifty-five years, a School Street destination known by its owners' initials kept us cool on hot days. By what name is it known today?
                                First, I want to apologize for that idiotic category title. I was being silly. And nobody complained about it or anything, but I look at it now and think it was in poor taste -- the Higas aren't even dead!

Okay, so I was referring to the former B&S Store, which zztype says is his favorite shave ice on the island (mine is Ice Garden in Aiea, with Baldwin's in Waimalu second). It's now called Shimazu store, and while the store itself has absolutely NONE of the character of the old B&S--remember the autographed shave-ice cones?--the shave ice is even better than it was. You can get it in small, large, bowl, and "the Larry." I had the bowl, and my mouth hasn't been happier in ages.

Extra azuki for liberty, Peshkwe, zztype, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, lavagal, tutusue, and kanahina for getting that one right!

zztype sends a link to a relevant journal entry by HT's Eric.

Category: Are You Prepositioning Me?
                                Driving to the coast, the sun warmed my arms and legs as I anticipated my dinner with Julia Roberts.

How should this sentence be rewritten for grammatical correctness?
                                First, here is what's wrong. The subject of this sentence is THE SUN. The action performed by the subject is "WARMED." You can boil the entire sentence down to those two parts: The sun warmed. Everything else only adds details. That first part, "Driving to the coast" is a detail that modifies part of the sentence. What is it modifying? Well, we like to put our modifiers close to what they modify: In this case, the sentence is saying that THE SUN, while driving to the coast, warmed my arms and legs...

The sun does not drive. To the coast or to anywhere else.

A more obvious error of the same type is "Melted and sticky, I forgot about the chocolate bar in my pocket." "Melted and sticky" is supposed to add details about the chocolate bar, but because of where it is in the sentence, it's actually describing "I." I suppose I could be melted and sticky, but that's clearly not what is meant in this sentence!

The most popular fix for the sentence was "While I drove to the coast, I anticipated my dinner with Julia Roberts as the sun warmed my arms and legs." Anything like that was fine, but if you moved a modifier to another place where it STILL described the wrong thing, you didn't get credit. An example: "I anticipated my dinner with Julia Roberts as the sun warmed my arms and legs driving to the coast." I suppose "my arms and legs" really are driving to the coast, but that's not at all what the sentence intends to say!

Shame on lavagal, a professional writer, for using "as" twice! Sure, it's grammatically correct, but come on! liberty had a comma she didn't need, but the case could be made for it where she put it, and it was grammatically still correct.

By the way, that error is called a dangling modifier. It's not important to know that; it's more important that you understand that it is one example of a modifier that is misplaced within the sentence.

Eraser-clapping duty (because that's a privilege) for Mike_Lowery, liberty, zztype, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, lavagal, and acousticlady for not leaving their participles dangling!

Category: "Just Because You Are a Character, That Doesn't Mean You HAVE Character!"
                                Dakota Fanning, Julie Hagerty, Kristin Chenowith (rowr!), Sara Gilbert, Bonnie Hunt, Mary Kay Place, and Lee Remick have all played characters in films or on TV with what first name?
                                They all played characters named FERN.

If you haven't seen Dakota Fanning in the most recent version of Charlotte's Web, you really must. It's very, very good. When I heard there was going to be a remake, my first thought was, "Who the HECK could possibly voice Templeton, after Paul Lynde did such an unforgettable job?" Then I found out it was Steve Buscemi, and I thought, "Perfect!" And he was. Julia Roberts was also wonderful as Charlotte. First time I've ever wanted to make love to a spider. The real show-stealer is Beau Bridges as the doctor Fern's mother consults. He brought me to tears twice!

Extra bacon for Mike_Lowery, liberty, Peshkwe, zztype, Leo Lakio, Kalei99, helen, lavagal, acousticlady, InfinityProductions, tutusue, and kanahina for knowing that.

Here are the current scores, with appeals still pending!
                                58: Kalei99
                                50.75: Leo Lakio
                                47.75: liberty
                                46.25: zztype
                                43.75: acousticlady
                                42.75: tutusue
                                40.75: Surfingfarmboy
                                38.5: lavagal
                                37.75: InfinityProductions
                                34.75: Mike_Lowery
                                32.5: CranBeree
                                29.5: mel
                                28: kanahina
                                21: Peshkwe
                                18.75: helen
                                11.5: Palama Kid
                                10.25: kiwidiva
                                9.5: jdub

newquestionsnextpost!
                                Last edited by scrivener; November 25, 2007, 08:19 PM. Reason: "shower the people you love with love..."
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X