• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lavagal
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Not sneaky, just not clearly worded. My fault. That's why everyone got points. As for the cooking thing, of course that's running the business. That totally counts.

As for Waipahu Bike, I have to confess that although I was there in the store about twelve years ago, something made me think it had closed recently. Oops.
    Certified Townie here. The only thing I can do is say Wai-Pa-HOOOOO! I did cover the closure of Arakawa's for The Advertiser way back when. I'll ask my cutie little colleague to see if she can assist. She's a Waipahu girl. Sweet, bright, smart, available.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Not sneaky, just not clearly worded. My fault. That's why everyone got points. As for the cooking thing, of course that's running the business. That totally counts.

As for Waipahu Bike, I have to confess that although I was there in the store about twelve years ago, something made me think it had closed recently. Oops.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied
    Re: Day 26 Questions

Originally posted by liberty View Post
    I guess the thing is Highway Inn used to be right next to Arakawa's on Waipahu Depot Street... so with your explanation, you're looking for a business that is still in that area. Gotcha. Also, the founder's son owns the business and his other son cooks, but I guess a cook isn't someone who "runs" a business... although he's responsible for the taste of the food! Trying again right now!
    Yeah, old Highway Inn used to be right next door to Waipahu Bicycle. Both of them are across Waipahu Depot Road from Arakawas.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/20/business/story2.html

That's a sneaky question.

Leave a comment:

• liberty
    replied
    Re: Day 26 Questions

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    The problem was this: There are a few businesses in the area that are still around for going on fifty-plus years (or more!). The other problem was this: "neighbor" is not a very clear term. If a business is located in the same town, as is Highway Inn, is it a neighbor? A wise man once said that your neighbor is anyone who needs your help! That could be anyone! Mr. Rogers called EVERYONE neighbor.

Really, though. Highway Inn is really quite far from where Arakawa's used to be, don't you think? And I did say the business in question was still run by the SONS of the founder, and I did say SIXTY years after its founding! That knocks a few MORE of the (albeit physically proximal) Arakawa's "neighbors" off the list. But perhaps all you TOWNIES wouldn't know about that!
    I guess the thing is Highway Inn used to be right next to Arakawa's on Waipahu Depot Street... so with your explanation, you're looking for a business that is still in that area. Gotcha. Also, the founder's son owns the business and his other son cooks, but I guess a cook isn't someone who "runs" a business... although he's responsible for the taste of the food! Trying again right now!
    Last edited by liberty; November 29, 2007, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Day 26 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the questions for Day 26!

1. Category: Who Says There's No Free Parking?
      Today: The first of the participant-submitted questions! Yes, so far, only one person has bothered to submit a question for use in this contest, so here it is. I think it's a good question! I won't tell anyone who submitted until after Friday's deadline. If at least one of you gets it right, the submitter will earn one point for this question.

The original game of monopoly is based on streets, utilities and railroads that are (mostly) located in Atlantic City, NJ. What two properties in the game are actually located in other nearby towns and in what towns are they located?

2. Category: Bite the Wax Tadpole
      What phrase is added by some diners to the ends of fortune-cookie fortunes in a funny game?

3. Category: "Waipahu Must Be Empty Tonight!"
      Waipahu's historic Plantation District, whose soul was Waipahu Depot Road for the longest time, is mostly just a memory now, but what neighbor of the Arakawa's store is still in business, run by the sons of its founder sixty years after its founding, and located just around the corner on Waipahu Street?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Friday, November 30! Good luck, and beat Kalei!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied
    Day 26 Questions

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the questions for Day 26!

Category: Anything He Wants!
    What does a Boy Scout do with steel wool, cotton, and a six-volt battery?
    Start a fire, of course! Forget everything you've heard about sticks or about flint and steel. The best way to get a fire started quickly and with no matches is with this method. I've started cooking fires with these (and other, much more dangerous!) methods and the battery/steelwool/cotton method is the best. Once you get the hang of it, you have a wonderful fire in just minutes.

Someday, remind me to tell the Pine-Sol and chlorine story.

These people are excused from KP this week for getting that one right: zztype, helen, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Peshkwe, liberty, acousticlady, lavagal, Mike_Lowery, tutusue, mel, and InfinityProductions.

Category: "I am NOT drinking any *&^%^%$ Merlot!"
    What does it mean when wine is aged on its lees?
    Of course yeast is used in the fermentation process. As the yeast eats the sugars, it creates two products: alcohol and carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide is cast off as a by-product (except in sparkling wines, where it is trapped in the wine in order to give it that fizz), and the alcohol stays there in the fermenter. The trouble is that yeast die when the alcohol levels reach about 15%. Then the dead yeast cells sink to the bottom. When almost all of the cells have died, the fermentation process is mostly complete, so the wine is then "racked" (or siphoned) off the dead cells into a new container. Those dead cells (which are mixed with other solid pieces of the grapes, such as bits of skin, seeds, stems, or whatever) are called "lees." That's why the alcohol percentages in bottles of wine tend to be between 10% and 15%.

"But wait," you say. "Brandy, madeira, marsala, port, and sherry are all much more alcoholic than that!" True, but the way they get it that way is by adding more alcohol to the wine after it's been racked. These are called "fortified" wines. That's why you like them so much!

Sometimes wine is aged on its lees in order to introduce yeasty flavors. I like those flavors. Do you know I'm a novice winemaker? I've been making wines at home for about seven years. I've done a few batches on their lees and...well, let's just say I've got a lot more learning to do!

A toast to zztype, Kalei99, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Peshkwe, liberty, acousticlady, lavagal, Mike_Lowery, tutusue, mel, InfinityProductions, and CranBeree for getting that right! Actually a couple of you defined the term by giving its French equivalent, but from a linguistic point of view, you did answer the question and I must therefore award the point! But you're getting the dregs, and you know who you are!

Category: "Waipahu Must Be Empty Tonight!"
    Waipahu's historic Plantation District, whose soul was Waipahu Depot Road for the longest time, is mostly just a memory now, but what neighbor of the Arakawa's store is still in business, run by the sons of its founder sixty years after its founding?
    *sigh*

This is what I get for trying to keep the answers as difficult to Google as possible. These people got credit for these answers, but stick around for a little explanation!

zztype said Waipahu Bicycle.
    Leo Lakio, Kalei99, acousticlady, Mike_Lowery, tutusue, and InfinityProductions said Ishiharaya, a cookie and candy manufacturer.
    Surfingfarmboy, liberty, lavagal, and tutusue (yes she gave more than one answer -- again!) said Highway Inn.
    mel and CranBeree said Rocky's Coffee Shop.

Not getting a point was Peshkwe, whose "the buggers next door" was at least good for a laugh!

The problem was this: There are a few businesses in the area that are still around for going on fifty-plus years (or more!). The other problem was this: "neighbor" is not a very clear term. If a business is located in the same town, as is Highway Inn, is it a neighbor? A wise man once said that your neighbor is anyone who needs your help! That could be anyone! Mr. Rogers called EVERYONE neighbor.

Really, though. Highway Inn is really quite far from where Arakawa's used to be, don't you think? And I did say the business in question was still run by the SONS of the founder, and I did say SIXTY years after its founding! That knocks a few MORE of the (albeit physically proximal) Arakawa's "neighbors" off the list. But perhaps all you TOWNIES wouldn't know about that!

So you all got the points. But I'm rewording the question and offering it again tonight, since NOBODY GOT THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR!

Here are the scores!
    68: Kalei99
    61.75: Leo Lakio
    57.25: zztype
    55.75: liberty
    50.75: acousticlady
    49.75: tutusue, Surfingfarmboy
    43.75: Mike_Lowery, InfinityProductions
    43.5: lavagal
    35.5: CranBeree
    33.5: mel
    29: kanahina
    27.5: Peshkwe
    20.25: helen
    11.5: Palama Kid
    10.25: kiwidiva
    9.5: jdub

New questions (and one old question), next post!

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

I was here...not that my middle-of-the-pack scoring is anything to fear!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

*Opens door, looks around empty room.*

"Hello-o-o-o-o"

"Hmmm. Nobody here."

*Closes door.*

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    Ehhhh? Are we conceding? Could there possibly be a tie here? What are the odds of THAT happening? If the contest did devolve to a tie, that would mean that Kalei would miss one or two questions over, oh, the next 5 days?

What would prompt that to happen?

Yeah, you're right...NO CHANCE that's happening! But I'm still open to bribes!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    ... could cinch the win in the event of a tie!
    Ehhhh? Are we conceding? Could there possibly be a tie here? What are the odds of THAT happening? If the contest did devolve to a tie, that would mean that Kalei would miss one or two questions over, oh, the next 5 days?

What would prompt that to happen?

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmm....I seem to remember a certain "Twitter Post" yesterday from Scrivener telling me about one "really good bribe" from one zztype that could cinch the win in the event of a tie! Compete like a man, huh? Does that include BRIBES??

Hey......if Scriv can take bribes, I can take bribes for throwing the lead, too!
    Wait, wait, wait --- are you suggesting there may be some sort of collusion going on in this game? Hmmm...HT's own "doping" scandal, perhaps...TwitterGate!

Maybe all the parties presently under suspicion should be suspended from the game. Gosh, now who would that leave in the lead, all squeaky-clean (well, certainly squeaky, but that comes with aging)? I wonder...let me just go check the stats... ... ...

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    P.S., Drop your challenges and compete like a MAN! I have dropped all mine and will play confidently based on my talent and knowledge. I won't rely on bullying the proctor to raise my grade!

(Unless I think I can get away with it!)

Hmmmmmmmmm....I seem to remember a certain "Twitter Post" yesterday from Scrivener telling me about one "really good bribe" from one zztype that could cinch the win in the event of a tie! Compete like a man, huh? Does that include BRIBES??

Hey......if Scriv can take bribes, I can take bribes for throwing the lead, too!

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

I did the same as Leo Lakio and Blaine - I listed out all the 1's, 2's, and then the 3's on a piece of paper. As I was listing the #3's I got it half way. Took me about 5 minutes. Having worked at the Hawaii State Capital when I was in High School, I saw the seal all the time. I used to think it was so "podagee" because it contained so much "stuff" on it! I think it's pretty, now.

As for being in first, if you didn't notice Leo - I missed a music question the other night! Music's not my strong point. Maybe you can beg Scriv for more music questions! ALWAYS "get chance" you know!

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
    BOYS! No more naninanibooboos or time outs all around! A minute for every year alive!
    Cool - I'm gettin' a break - whee!

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

BOYS! No more naninanibooboos or time outs all around! A minute for every year alive!

Around my house I'd love a time out! That would be a solid block of time to nap!

@;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X