• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrivener
    replied
    Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest -- Go Fourth and Multiply

Originally posted by zztype View Post
    Hey, W.T.H.?!!! Are you feeding "Goat Lady" the answers on the side?

What did she promise you? A bottle of some secret sauce? Don't believe it!
    Hey, nobody accused Surfingfarmboy of bribing me with favors or affections! This is not to say he didn't, but nobody accused him of it!

This is also not to say that I cannot be bought. I do have a price, but if you're a guy, you can't pay it!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

HawaiiThreads Trivia Contest!
    Here are the questions for Day 12!
    1. Category: Fallen
      The USS Arizona Memorial is one of the most-often visited attractions in Hawaii, but do you know there's another memorial to another sunken ship nearby, just across Ford Island? It is not just a marker, but a full-on memorial built right alongside the wreckage, which remains to this day the final resting place of an unknown number of American sailors. What ship is memorialized thus?

2. Category: Run and Hide
      You soak the hides of animals (usually cattle) in an alkaline solution for some time, then soak them in acid to detach (or disintegrate) hair, meat, and other unwanteds, then wash them in water to get them clean, then cook them in water, then filter and dry the goo that results. What have you made?

3. Category: The Color of Money
      What are the colors in Krzysztof Kieślowski's "Three Colors?"

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 15! Good luck, and have fun!
    Last edited by scrivener; November 14, 2007, 10:03 PM. Reason: "you've been left on your own, like a rainbow in the dark!"

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Hey, W.T.H.?!!! Are you feeding "Goat Lady" the answers on the side?

What did she promise you? A bottle of some secret sauce? Don't believe it!

Wait till you see what's in the bribe "omiyage" from Utah. Likely it will consist of a bottle of melted snow picked up at the ABC Store in Waikiki, just before the payoff rendezvous!

Hmph!

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Here are the answers for Day 11!

Category: He'll Give You a Ring
    What former high-school teacher, the acknowledged sensei of amateur sumo in Hawaii, hosts sumo training and contests at a dohyo he's built at his own home?
    John Jacques, a former Kahuku High School teacher and wrestling coach, is the guy they always interview when someone wants to know about sumo in Hawaii, and it is at his house in Hauula or Punaluu that the dohyo is located. My dad was friends with a guy who knew him, and I spent a couple of Saturdays at the house when I was a kid. Google him and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yes, there are a few people who fit most of the description, but not the high-school teacher part and certainly not the dohyo at his home part!

Promotions out of juryo go to Mike_Lowery, liberty, Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and acousticlady for getting that right!

InfinityProductions, if you had called one of the Heffernans, I guarantee you they'd have given you the straight dope!

Category: You Be Illin'
    According to the old adage, what food should not be consumed (for health reasons) during the months of May, June, July, and August?
    The adage says that you are probably safe eating oysters in months whose names contain an R. If you can demonstrate that there are other adages that also qualify, please let me know!

Meanwhile, shoyu and tabasco go to Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, acousticlady, lavagal, and InfinityProductions for being so shellfish.

Category: Water You Doing?
    In what music video does a boy struggle to hold the lid of his classroom desk shut while water tries to flow out of it?
    "You have no scars on your face / and you cannot handle PRESSURE!"
    It's Billy Joel's "Pressure," one of the cooler concept videos of the 80s. I asked a non-participating HTer the question as a test, and she got it RIGHT OFF, so I don't think this one was TOO hard!

A bottle of red and a bottle of white for Leo Lakio, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right! Did you guys ask around, remember the video yourselves, or flex your Google-fu?

I'm too tired to deal with disputed questions this evening...I'm happy to do it, but I don't have the energy tonight after working on my overdue paper!

So here are the current scores, without a few corrections that will probably be made tomorrow!

Look at the huge leap Surfingfarmboy (our three-time defending champion) made in just one day! Let this be an encouragement to you all, because we still have plenty of game left!

29.50: Kalei99
    24.5: Leo Lakio
    23.75: Surfingfarmboy
    23.5: liberty
    23: acousticlady
    21.5: zztype
    21.25: tutusue
    21: InfinityProductions
    20.5: lavagal
    15.75: CranBeree
    15: mel
    11.5: Mike_Lowery
    9.5: jdub
    9: kanahina
    8: Palama Kid
    5.25: helen
    5: kiwidiva
    1: Peshkwe

New questions! Next! Post!

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

oh my gosh those were difficult for me!

1. Paul Ruben
    2. Foccaccia
    3. Bruce Springsteen, The River

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Hey, Kalei99 & zztype --- keep distracting each other so you forget to submit answers - then I can catch up and pass you!

(Oh wait - I have to submit correct ones, too, yeah? Dayam. Submit "garlic rice" as one of your answers, guys - doesn't matter which one.)

Leave a comment:

• lavagal
    replied

Oh, don't worry. I already submitted yours to Scrivener.
    I could get in trouble for looking like I'm having such a good time while at work!

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    Gee, thanks brother! I KNEW it was that Beatles song! Don't forget to forget to submit your answers.
    Oh, don't worry. I already submitted yours to Scrivener.

Leave a comment:

• scrivener
    replied

Maybe more correctly, it was The Beatles' "Fixin A-Hole"?
    Hilarious! Where's that reputation icon when you need it?

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Gee, thanks brother! I KNEW it was that Beatles song! Don't forget to forget to submit your answers.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

For you busy people:

3. Category: Water You Doing?
In what music video does a boy struggle to hold the lid of his classroom desk shut while water tries to flow out of it?

Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" or the Beatles' "Fixin' A Hole."

Hope that helps.

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher"
    Specifically, the recent "Hogwarts Video Remix," where it is revealed that Harry Potter is hot for the recently out-ed Dumbledore.

Leave a comment:

• zztype
    replied

For you busy people:

1. Category: He'll Give You a Ring
What former high-school teacher, the acknowledged sensei of amateur sumo in Hawaii, hosts sumo training and contests at a dohyo he's built at his own home?

Robert Kekaula.

2. Category: You Be Illin'
According to the old adage, what food should not be consumed (for health reasons) during the months of May, June, July, and August?

Any roadkill, especially goats, "harvested" in December, January, February or March.

3. Category: Water You Doing?

Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" or the Beatles' "Fixin' A Hole."

Hope that helps.

Blaine

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kalei99 View Post
    I accept all forms of FREE answers.
    They'll be as useful as the secrets you revealed earlier, garans.

Leave a comment:

• Kalei99
    replied

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Please PM those 2 answers to me! I don't have time to play today!
    Ditto....I'm too tired to research today. I accept all forms of FREE answers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X