Thoughtful questions... possible answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughtful questions... possible answers

Prodigy! That's where I was in the early to mid-90's. Playing their maze game, mostly!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

So keeping with the topic....

Where were your playgrounds on the 'net when you first discovered cyber surfing? What was your favorite site for peace or war?

Comment

Mel's Hawaii Radio and TV forum. Back then we had really viral posters! I had to use a hacker program to find the bitch that lied about me on that forum. When I personally emailed her after finding her true identity she was shocked! Yes one can hide behind an avatar, but there are programs that can find you.

Not really a playground...well kinda, back in the late 70's we played with PLATO which used the internet in it's early days of development.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
          Dyslexics...

eW llahs ekat revo eht dlrow!!
          I thought we was Lysdexics?

Rong?
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by turtlegirl View Post
            If large-chested women work at Hooters, do one-legged women work at IHOP?
            AND peg-legged pirates of all genders....
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
              Not really a playground...well kinda, back in the late 70's we played with PLATO which used the internet in it's early days of development.
              Goes back to the 70's? I thought that was the time of CB radios. When did Al Gore invent the internet?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Mel's Hawaii Radio and TV forum. Back then we had really viral posters! I had to use a hacker program to find the bitch that lied about me on that forum. When I personally emailed her after finding her true identity she was shocked!
                I love that story. You turn on the light, and den the kakaroach like try hide.

Comment

Plato was used by various Universities around the country where the Internet was exclusively hooked up to. An acronym for Programmed Logic for Automated Teaching Operations it was made available in the UH/Manoa's computer room that was open 24/7 back in the 70's.

It helped that back then IP addresses were seen on the forums so you could see who was chatting. But using a ping program I was able to track where she was flaming from. Apparently she had no firewall in place.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Why are we like this or that?

Nature: is what the genes our parents give us.
                    Nurture: is how our parents (or whomever) raise us.
                    Environment: is the type of society we live in.
                    Self: is what our minds thinks/feels is correct.
                    (When I refer to the "self," I am referring to the "higher self:" The part of you that is connected to the Big Guy or nature or the Universe, or whatever you believe in.)
                    Ego: For our purposes, suffice it to say that the ego is the part of the self that most people present to the world. Think about individuals who define their worth by their beauty or their possessions. Or those people you know you have to be "careful" around because they get defensive and/or hurt easily.

Which is the most important do you think in creating what and who each of us are?
                    Last edited by Menehune Man; July 1, 2010, 08:31 AM. Reason: corrections
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

None of the above. Alternate answer - serendipity.
                      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I was hoping to see what would come of this. Gettings answers like...
                        All, none, some, whatever.

Thanks salmoned. You always seem to come up with something 'different'. HaHa!

serendipity -noun

Definition: good luck in discovering unexpected things

Synonyms: luck, fortune, coincidence, chance

Serendipity is often used as a sophisticated way of describing luck. When things happen out of serendipity, it usually seems like they're meant to be, although they happen through coincidence. Serendipitous is a related adjective that means "coincidental and lucky." A perfect use of serendipity is to describe a situation where a person was pursuing something and stumbles upon an even greater find or fortune, one that was completely different from their original pursuit. For example, if you joined a club to make new friends and you ended up meeting the love of your life, that would be a perfect example of serendipity.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                          Why are we like this or that?

Nature: is what the genes our parents give us.
                          Nurture: is how our parents (or whomever) raise us.
                          Environment: is the type of society we live in.
                          Self: is what our minds thinks/feels is correct.
                          (When I refer to the "self," I am referring to the "higher self:" The part of you that is connected to the Big Guy or nature or the Universe, or whatever you believe in.)
                          Ego: For our purposes, suffice it to say that the ego is the part of the self that most people present to the world. Think about individuals who define their worth by their beauty or their possessions. Or those people you know you have to be "careful" around because they get defensive and/or hurt easily.

Which is the most important do you think in creating what and who each of us are?
                          Very cool question!

How about a little of all of the above + a little serendipity

We are the sum of all our parts.

Comment

A much better definition is - a gift for discovery by accident and sagacity while in pursuit of something else. This 'luck' business is quite off the mark as to the intended meaning. Serendipity applies both to our genetic endowment as well as our personal experiential (and mutational) development. It epitomizes the way nature appears to operate for us as living beings.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                            X