Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Scavenger Hunt

Originally posted by pzarquon
    Big Boi? What about, you know, non-male semi-pro photographers? I can think of at least one, here...
    YIKES! You killin' me!!!
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
      April 15 taxes: Absolutely. I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't done mine yet, so I'm squeezing this contest setup past my wife. She thinks I'm working on taxes or client web sites or something!!!
      Haaaanaaaaa, I'm telling! Did Jeanie have a good Birthday?
      So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Contest

Registration for the contest has slowed, so here's a recap of what's up in this thread for those folks joining us late.

The HawaiiThreads.com Photo Contest will be open to registered Hawaii Threads users (who have actually posted something publicly on Hawaii Threads!). You'll have to fill in a form on my web site [see below] requesting an account in my photo gallery. I'll set up the requested accounts for participants.

Then, periodically I'll publish a "subject" for the contest photo. The subjects wil be open to your interpretation as photographic artists. But for example, one subject might be "aloha" and it would be up to you as to how your photo shows or expresses aloha.

You would then go to your photo gallery and post the resulting photo, with any artist's notes you deem appropriate or helpful in understanding your interpretation. (One photo per assigned subject.)

In all there may be 12 subjects, maybe more. We'll see how it goes. I'll post a new one every 4 to 7 days.

I am not at all sure how the photos will be judged and what would constitute a "winner." I am open to suggestions by interested parties. I may put up online voting, with some controls to prevent stuffing the ballot box.

There are "divisions" for Regular digital (and film, if you want to scan them) photos with a point-and-shoot camera, Camera Phone photos and a "Big Boi" professional category for guys who either do this for a living or are using high-end digital/SLR photo equipment. (It'll be Scout's Honor -- I know who you are!)

If you're interested in participating, please fill in this form on my site and when I get a bunch of people all set up with galleries, we'll start the contest! http://www.zztype.com/hawaiithreads/

The galleries will be set up at http://www.zztype.com/gallery/hawaiithreads

Those of you who have already signed up and been assigned albums in the gallery, please use the "aloha" topic for your first test upload. Leave it in there once you get it up. Add a caption for practice.

I won't be "competing." My ZZType album is to set the example for the rest of you. You can watch it and I'll be posting my interpretations of my own assigned contest topics.

Aloha,

Blaine

Comment

woops. mistaeake
          Last edited by kimo55; April 7, 2005, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            What... is wrong with this picture?
            With respect to what? This contest? It's not your own original work, for one.

Comment

With respect to what? This contest? It's not your own original work, for one.

sorry. placed in wrong thread.
              (hilahila... didn't meant to hijack another thread!)
              Last edited by kimo55; April 7, 2005, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Oh! E kala mai, then!

Comment

Re: Hawaii Threads Photo Contest

OK, this seems to be losing a bit of steam, so let's start it off already. If any stragglers come in later, they can always catch up.

Let's begin with Scrivener's suggestion for the first topic for our little contest:
                  Photo Contest Topic No. 1: HALF-BAKED
                  Go for it, folks. Photograph your vision of "half-baked" and upload it to your galleries. Add a caption to your photo to enhance the viewer's understanding of what you are trying to say.

Please begin your caption with the words, "HALF-BAKED:," all in caps, like the example:

HALF-BAKED: Ths is my half-baked attempt at a clever contest. Oh well!

We'll let this run for a few days and then post another when everyone has posted their photo.

Didi Ah Yo!

Comment

If registration doesn't pick up considerably, I propose we do away with the divisions and just have a free-for-all among whoever's participating. The jury's smart enough to know a good picture when it sees one, whether it's on high-end gear or my cute little cam-phone. If we lose the divisions, I'll be free to play around with other gear, too, such as my favorite old Olympus SLR.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

True. Let's give it a day or two. The "divisions" were just to keep the pro's from running roughshod over others who might be just fooling with tech toys. But I don't see a huge rush to participate.

If anyone is thinking it might be fun to participate, but something said here is causing reservations, please, I encourage you to just jump in and play! This is only for fun. No mean people here!

Blaine

Comment

I finally managed to post a photo with Aloha as the test subject but I got to admit Mel had the same idea I had.

Comment

I have to admit, Mel got a smile out of me when I saw that Aloha jet!

Comment

What kind(s) of cameras are you using for the photo contest? (And what other cameras do you like to play with?)

I'm primarily using an Olympus c3020z 3.2 megapixel point-and-shoot (3020z photos) . This is about the 5th or 6th Olympus I've owned so far. I like the tonal quality of the photos that come out of my Oly's. Blaine's Pix

I also have a Canon EOS Rebel-S SLR film camera and an EOS 300d Digital Rebel, (and a bunch of accessories) but I'm not using them for this contest.

The wife has a couple of Sony digital cameras, one the "Sushi Cam" 2 megapixel, and a newer really compact Sony 5 megapixel.

My son killed his Olympus D340R digital (Alex's D340R Photos) and eventually ended up with an Olympus D575z 3.2 megapixel. Here's Alex's Other Photo Gallery

Comment

What kind(s) of cameras are you using for the photo contest? (And what other cameras do you like to play with?)
                              Look out everyone! I have a Cannon PowerShot S10 at 2.1 megapixels. WooooHooo... this puppy is at it's prime. Only 5 years old!

It's sad to think that my 10 year old nephew has a newer and better camera than me....

But when I reeeeaaaaallllly want a great picture.... I go for my Simpson's 35MM Disposable Camera WITH Flash!
                              So long...and thanks for all the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalei99
                                But when I reeeeaaaaallllly want a great picture.... I go for my Simpson's 35MM Disposable Camera WITH Flash!

Say
                                D'ooohhh!

Comment

Working...
                                X