Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Sorry to interrupt the momentum of the new game, but I thought I'd give a couple of quick pointers.

First, I will not always be able to get the questions up between 9 and 10; however, if you subscribe to the thread, as soon as I post the questions, you'll get them in your email box, which can be a handy thing. I know ZZ, last game's runner-up, does this. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the post, and choose your preferred manner of subscription.

Second, I try very hard to get the post right the first time, but sometimes I notice errors, or I think of better ways to word the questions. Please, if you decide to respond to a post shortly after it is put up, check it again later to see if I've re-worded it. Edits won't come to your mailbox if you subscribe.

Okay. That's it. On with the madness.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 1, and if this is your first time playing the game, please read the rules in the first post of this thread.

Good luck, and have fun!
      Wait, wait! In this post you say send you the answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE, but in post #1 of this thread you said send you the answers "at my email address only, not in my HawaiiThreads private mailbox". Which is it? Regular email, or private messages? I'm all confused!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Which is it? Regular email, or private messages? I'm all confused!
        Submissions of trivia questions for possible use in the contest go to my regular email. Answers to the actual posted questions go in my private messages box.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yaaayyy!!! I see the (green) light! Scrivener has finally logged on this evening!
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
            Here are the answers for Day 1.

Question 1
            Category: I'm not ath thupid ath I theme.
            What TV variety show's house band included Floyd on guitar and Janis on bass?
            edit: it may have been floyd on bass and janis on guitar.
            "It's time to play the music;
            It's time to light the lights;
            It's time to meet the Muppets
            On the Muppet Show tonight!"

That's right. The house band also included Rowlf on piano, Animal on drums, and Zoot on sax. In the fifth season, Lips joined the band on trumpet. Janis, Floyd, Animal, and Zoot also played in Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with Dr. Teeth on organ.

Froglegs and hamhocks go to lavagal, zztype, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip!

Question 2
            Category: Welllcome! To Fallacy Island!
            What logical fallacy is illustrated by the sentence, "The Easter Bunny exists and you can't prove that it doesn't!"
            I used to teach logical fallacy, and am reminded now of why it was so frustrating. A lot of times, logic is so fallacious that it falls into several categories at once, so I'm giving credit to any of these answers: Argumentum ad Ignorantiam (argument from ignorance), Begging the questions (affirming the truth of something without offering evidence), and Shifting the burden of proof (the answer I was going for), and I'm going to accept "you can't prove a negative" because it's often taught that this is a logical fallacy, but you actually can prove a negative if you can demonstrate that it is a contradiction.

Points go to lavagal, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip for being so logical!

Question 3
            Category: Have I told you lately Island View?
            What prominent geographical feature was named by Hawaiians for its resemblance to a lizard's tail?
            Oh, you're good. You knew (or at least zztype, shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip knew!) that Mokoli`i, or Chinaman's Hat, was named for its resemblance to a lizard's tail!

So after one day, here are the standings!
            3: shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoe tulip
            2: lavagal, zztype
            nice tries: mel and helen

New questions, next post!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 2.

Question 1
              Category: I Was Comma on to My Neighbor, but She Hurriedly Declined My Preposition.
              What common word in the English language is pronounced differently simply upon the capitalization of its initial letter?

edit: we're looking for a word that's English when uncapitalized and English when capitalized.

Question 2
              Category: She Said She Had to Get Her Email. I Said I Had to Get My Female.
              What Oahu ZIP code represents the only town on the island whose name doesn’t contain a Hawaiian word?

Question 3
              Category: She Stays Far Away From Me Now, but I Continue to Checker Out.
              In what much-loved board game do players make an early decision to begin a career or to go to college first?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE (not email, Lavagal!) by 9:00 PM on October 2!

Good luck, and have fun!
              Last edited by scrivener; October 1, 2005, 10:21 PM. Reason: "Time marches on . . . for whom the bell tolls . . ."
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                "It's time to play the music;
                It's time to light the lights;
                It's time to meet the Muppets
                On the Muppet Show tonight!"

That's right. The house band also included Rowlf on piano, Animal on drums, and Zoot on sax. In the fifth season, Lips joined the band on trumpet. Janis, Floyd, Animal, and Zoot also played in Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem with Dr. Teeth on organ.
                And for those who want to revisit the last great TV variety show, Season 1 is now available on DVD.

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 2.

Question 1
                  Category: I Was Comma on to My Neighbor, but She Hurriedly Declined My Preposition.
                  What common word in the English language is pronounced differently simply upon the capitalization of its initial letter?
                  Hmmm. I think this was a great question, but I'm going to have to accept alternate answers. I was going for polish, which I maintain is the only answer that fits my criteria, but many people submitted nice, job, slough (surfingfarmboy), reading (tiptoetulip), herb (zz and pzarquon), lima (zz), and holy you-know-what, ya twisted freakin' academic (lavagal). I feel quite strongly that Job, Lima, Herb, and Nice are not English words when capitalized like that any more than Japan is an English word. However, Polish is definitely an English word, as it is our word for something or someone from Poland, just as Japanese is an English word and Chinese is an English word. Does that make sense?

Now, as for Slough and Reading, these happen to be place names, but they are place names in England, so it is completely reasonable to expect that they be counted, but you know, that's British English and British English isn't really English! Just kidding. But really. Compare my answer to your answers, and I think you'll agree (once I give you all your points!) that mine is definitely the best one.

Happy faces for Glen Miyashiro and ZZtype for submitting the word I was looking for!

So points go to tiptoetulip, zztype, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and shave ice for their assortment of answers. Moral of the story: don't leave it blank, 'cause you might get credit for any answer!

Question 2
                  Category: She Said She Had to Get Her Email. I Said I Had to Get My Female.
                  What Oahu ZIP code represents the only town on the island whose name doesn’t contain a Hawaiian word?
                  *sigh* It's going to be that kind of contest!
                  Yes, I know the military installations get their own ZIP codes, but are they towns? Hm?

Thankfully, everyone knew what I meant even though they insist I was unclear (I maintain that I was as clear as could be), and helen, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, zztype, glen miyashiro, lavagal, mel, pzarquon, and shave ice all submitted Pearl City as their correct answer.

Question 3
                  Category: She Stays Far Away From Me Now, but I Continue to Checker Out.
                  In what much-loved board game do players make an early decision to begin a career or to go to college first?
                  Even people who don't remember this part of the game got it right. Yes, the game of Life offered players a shorter (fewer spaces to the finish) path for starting a career or a higher paycheck and a longer path for going to college in the early stages of the game.

Extra spins of the wheel for helen, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, zztype, glen miyashiro, lavagal, mel, pzarquon, and shave ice for knowing that one.

Here are the current standings!

6: shave ice, surfingfarmboy, glen miyashiro, pzarquon, and tiptoetulip
                  5: zztype
                  4: lavagal
                  2: helen, mel

Still plenty of time to get in on this, so don't be shy.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 3.

Question 1
                    Category: Sharkleberry Finn
                    According to a popular song of Hawaii, what should you never let happen to a piece of shark bait?

Question 2
                    Category: Son of a B****
                    What television son usually referred to his father as "Dear Old Dad," as in, "Anything you say, Dear Old Dad!"

Question 3
                    Category: That's Sticking My Neck Out
                    What relative of the giraffe has a face like a deer's, a neck like a very short giraffe's, a body like a horse's, and a butt like a zebra's?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 3!

Good luck, and have fun!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Question 1
                      Category: Sharkleberry Finn
                      According to a popular song of Hawaii, what should you never let happen to a piece of shark bait?
                      Aw, mel...I put this question in for you!

Everyone who got this right quoted some Coconut Willie song, but I was referring to "E Lei Ka Lei Lei," which incluldes the lyric,
                      Malihinis that surf should be wrapped in foil
                      You should never let a piece of shark bait spoil.

The Coconut Willie song, according to lavagal and others, goes,
                      When malihinis come to town
                      Willie greets them with a smile not a frown
                      He rubs them with oil
                      So they won't broil
                      He never lets a single piece of shark bait spoil.

So extra Reynolds Wrap to zztype, glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, shave ice, and lavagal for not spoiling that one.

Question 2
                      Category: Son of a B****
                      What television son usually referred to his father as "Dear Old Dad," as in, "Anything you say, Dear Old Dad!"
                      It was the ever-adorable Augie Doggie speaking to his pops, Doggie Daddy. Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy. Isn't that TOO fun to say?

Paws up to helen, glen miyashiro, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon for not playing dead on that one!

Question 3
                      Category: That's Sticking My Neck Out
                      What relative of the giraffe has a face like a deer's, a neck like a very short giraffe's, a body like a horse's, and a butt like a zebra's?
                      Boy, I'd really like to know what you put in the search engine to get this one, if you didn't already know it. Please pmessage me or post a reply. Curious.

Yes, it looks like it was assembled from spare parts at a toy store, but the okapi is real, and I really like it. It's a gentle sort, and I feel a sorta kinship with it. Shoots and leaves go to zztype, tiptoetulip (who says it's also called the "forest giraffe"), glen miyashiro, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, shave ice, mel, and lavagal for quietly munching through that one.

Here are the current standings!
                      9: glen miyashiro, pzarquon, tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy
                      8: shave ice
                      7: zztype
                      6: lavagal
                      3: helen, mel

Hey, you! If you're not playing and still want to jump in, what's keeping you? There's plenty of game left!

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Question 1
                        Category: She Broke Up With the Low-Singer, Because She Couldn't Get to Third Bass
                        What are three of the four musical acts who performed at both Woodstock (the original) and Live Aid?

Question 2
                        Category: She Would Never Marry a Carpenter; She Says They're Too Level-Headed.
                        Whose model of the cognitive realm includes levels named Knowledge, Application, Synthesis, and Evaluation?

Question 3
                        Category: They Call 'em Films for the Greasy Residue Many of them Leave on Your Soul
                        Oh, this is too easy: When some fellow English majors and I saw Disney's Beauty and the Beast in theaters, why did we get really, really excited when we heard a particular lyric in Gaston's "The Mob Song?"

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 4!

Good luck, and have fun!
                        Last edited by scrivener; October 3, 2005, 10:22 PM. Reason: "Oops, I did it again . . ."
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Boy, I'd really like to know what you put in the search engine to get this one, if you didn't already know it. Please pmessage me or post a reply. Curious.
                          In Google I simply typed in Giraffe. Came up with a bunch of pages. One page led me to Giraffe Central where one of the links is "Giraffe Classification". Went to that page and selected "Scientific Names" where they have all of the Giraffe's close and distant relatives listed. I saw the name Okapi and did a Google picture search and there it was with its Zebra ass. I had also remember seeing this animal on some PBS Nature show or something years ago.

Looking at the page again, there is also a link to the Wikipedia on Okapi.

So I guess that makes up for me missing that song.
                          Last edited by mel; October 3, 2005, 10:09 PM.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

augie doggie??? that show is SOOOO old i didn't think anyone here would be old enuf to know it! that'll teach me to assume too much! ha! ha!
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                              augie doggie??? that show is SOOOO old i didn't think anyone here would be old enuf to know it! that'll teach me to assume too much! ha! ha!
                              Whoa, whoa, watch that! I was in HIGH SCHOOL when Augie Doggie and Doggie Daddy were popular. But I missed the question anyway. My Googling turned up a whole bunch of "unmentionable" answers, but not the correct one. I needed another clue.

Blaine
                              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

My husband knew okapi. Told me to Google it. There it was in it's striped zebra butt. What a funky critter! Is it's G*d's plan or that of man? Or were there a bunch of animals in the jungle one night and they lyrics of CSN came on: "if you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one you're with" triggered an evolutionary movement?
                                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                                X