Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!
    Here are the questions for Day 13!

Question 1
    Category: Don't Give a Flying Duck!
    In what comic strip (yes, I love comic strips) did a primary character recently hire a guard duck?

Question 2
    Category: Superfreak!
    A character named Boris, a key player in the novel by Mary Rodgers, was left out of the recent Jamie Lee Curtis / Lindsay Lohan movie (he makes a cameo, but is not part of the story). What surprising secret (but not really a secret) do we learn about Boris at the end of the book? I don't remember if we learn it at the end of the Jodie Foster film.

Question 3
    Category: There's a Double Run in My Nylon
    Why are some cribbage boards shaped like the number 29?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 14!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by mel
      While people are questioning, I want to know more about this "tetra = 4" thing. I looked up sevral Tetris websites and an explanation for that answer was not mentioned. It would be appreciated if some of the more obscure answers be better explained or have a link to where further information can be found.
      This question was intentionally worded so as to test your understanding of the game. I was careful not to say that this was WHY it was named Tetris, since I don't know for sure why it was named that; I asked what the name has to do with the game, and if you look at the game pieces you'll see that there are seven shapes, each of them a different arrangement of four blocks. Remember, I'm happy to hear appeals for different valid answers! Just let me know!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm not disputing the answer... just wanted a better explanation than what was initially posted.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

hey scriv, thanks so much for the fun but i'm gonna have to throw in the towel! getting too busy with stuff; besides, i KNOW tiptoe is gonna rip us all to shreds! ha! ha! mark my words! she will not be denied! ha! ha!

i'll still look forward to reading the questions and answers, though.

adios,

shaveice
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            this is a question for zztype, kevin_jay, and surfingfarmboy who got the margaret keane question right: how'd you know? was it a fairly big story? i'd never heard of it (not surprising since i sometimes pay attention to the news and then i turn off for long periods of time....). even when i did a search on the web, i came up empty handed and wonder if perhaps i just typed in key words which weren't very helpful.

just wondering
            I didn't Google it. I coyly brought up the subject with an owner of antique store in Newport who I "just happened to be talking to" that day..you know, you have to keep in touch with your friends ....and she knew instantly.

I had a tough time with that question...I had no idea how to even begin to Google that question...if it wasn't for my antique store-owner friend, that question for sure would have been a miss.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              sorry. I was cooking. And doing laundry.
              get a beeyot... i mean girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                Yes, so far TipToeTulip and Shave Ice have been our come-out-of-nowhere contestants. I know Moto's on a trip, but I thought cezanne would have had fun with this (he did so well on the photo game). And where's EastCoastTropics? :sad:
                I'm still here scrivener! Just been really busy wit stuffs here at home!
                Lovena

Comment

Gee.

I don't know why I said today's questions are due by 9 pm on the 14th. They're due by 9 pm on the 13th. Hope this doesn't mess anyone up. And if it does: oh well!
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 13!

Question 1
                    Category: Don't Give a Flying Duck!
                    In what comic strip (yes, I love comic strips) did a primary character recently hire a guard duck?
                    This link won't be good for more than three weeks, but yes, it is one of my favorites, Pearls Before Swine. Hullllooooo Zeeba Neighbas to helen, kilinahe, pzarquon, zztype, and lavagal for getting it right!

Question 2
                    Category: Superfreak!
                    A character named Boris, a key player in the novel by Mary Rodgers, was left out of the recent Jamie Lee Curtis / Lindsay Lohan movie (he makes a cameo, but is not part of the story). What surprising secret (but not really a secret) do we learn about Boris at the end of the book? I don't remember if we learn it at the end of the Jodie Foster film.
                    Well, the novel is Freaky Friday, which I actually meant to say but forgot. Kilinahe and Pzarquon remembered that it had something to do with the way Boris spoke, but then they said he just had a bad cold. It was allergies, actually, but that wasn't the surprise. The surpise is that everyone in the film had been calling him Boris forever, but it turns out that his name is Morris! It just sounds like "Boris" when he says it because he's all stuffed up.

Congratulations to Surfingfarmboy for getting his freak on. Helen gets a half point for saying that Boris wasn't his name. Surfingfarmboy says he got the library staff at the Bristol Public Library going crazy trying to dig this one up -- the library's copy of the novel was checked out!

Question 3
                    Category: There's a Double Run in My Nylon
                    Why are some cribbage boards shaped like the number 29?
                    As many of you know, 29 is the ultimate, perfect score in cribbage, achieved when the player is holding a Jack and three fives and the turned card on top of the cut deck is a five of a suit matching the Jack in the hand. Bonus cribs to palama kid, kevin_jay, surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and zztype for making the cut!

Here are the current standings!
                    37: surfingfarmboy
                    33: shave ice
                    32: tiptoetulip
                    30: zztype
                    23: glen miyashiro, mel
                    21: lavagal
                    20: pzarquon
                    13.825: helen
                    10: kimo55
                    9.875: kevin_jay
                    3: pomai
                    2: madazza, kilinahe
                    1: palama kid
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 14!

Question 1
                      Category: Writing's On the Wall
                      In an episode of Welcome Back Kotter, one of the characters paints a mural on a school wall for an art assignment. Who is the subject of this mural?

Question 2
                      Category: Board of Education!
                      Expo Dry-Erase markers typically come with either flat, squared tips or rounded, pointy tips. What names does the manufacturer give these two different tips?

Question 3
                      Category: Think! (contestant-submitted question!)

Who's this?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 14!
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 14!

Question 1
                        Category: Writing's On the Wall
                        In an episode of Welcome Back Kotter, one of the characters paints a mural on a school wall for an art assignment. Who is the subject of this mural?
                        You know, you could argue that this was a lame show, but I would argue back that it definitely had its moments. I had a Welcome Back, Kotter lunchbox, by the way. Wish I still had it!

Juan Epstein's painting is a nude of Mrs. Kotter, played by the curvy Marcia Strassman. Rowr.

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, palama kid, pzarquon, mel, lavagal, and zztype for shoving that question right up my nose with a rubber hose!

Question 2
                        Category: Board of Education!
                        Expo Dry-Erase markers typically come with either flat, squared tips or rounded, pointy tips. What names does the manufacturer give these two different tips?
                        I'm taking "fine point" as an acceptable answer because it satisfies the description I give in the question, but I was looking for chisel-point and bullet-point.

I know teachers who refuse to use the bullet-point markers, but they are fools! Fools, I tell you! The bullet-points are so, so, so, so much better that even though I've not been a fan of Expo markers (I'd been an Avery Marks-a-Lot man for years), I am now. Gold-star stickers and eraser-clapping duty go to tiptoetulip, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, palama kid, pzarquon, lavagal, and zztype. Mel gets a half point for getting one of the two.

Question 3
                        Category: Think! (contestant-submitted question!)

Who's this?
                        This question was submitted by shave ice, who gets one point for at least two others' getting it correct!
                        It's Dr. Richard Feynman, a man shave ice admires mostly for having written a book called What Do You Care What Other People Think?.

Send some extra widgets and RAM to glen miyashiro, surfingfarmboy, kevin_j, mel, tiptoetulip, lavagal, and zztype for thinking exactly alike!

40: surfingfarmboy
                        34: shave ice
                        35: tiptoetulip
                        33: zztype
                        25.5: mel
                        24: glen miyashiro, lavagal
                        23: pzarquon
                        13.825: helen
                        12.875: kevin_jay
                        3: pomai, palama kid

N e w Q u e s t i o n s , N e x t P o s t !
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 15!

Question 1
                          Category: You Are So Not Getting This!
                          What water-themed publication includes in the center pages of its current issue a photo of Diane Ako in a bikini bottom?

Question 2
                          Category: Stump the Band!
                          What television program's recurring participants include Kiva and Anna?

Question 3
                          Category: It's My Life and I'll Do What I want!
                          "As I said, it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." Whose autobiography ends with these words?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 15!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 15!

Question 1
                            Category: You Are So Not Getting This!
                            What water-themed publication includes in the center pages of its current issue a photo of Diane Ako in a bikini bottom?
                            Makai Magazine is one of those free magazines you can pick up all over town. I got mine at Nick's Cafe in Mapunapuna. The photo in question is, well, worth the price for sure, and then some. This magazine is in serious need of some copy-editing; if anyone knows the publisher, tell him to shoot me an email.

Only zztype got it, and he was guessing!

Question 2
                            Category: Stump the Band!
                            What television program's recurring participants include Kiva and Anna?
                            Kiva is better known as "Grinder Girl," and Anna is better known as "Hula Hoop Girl," on The Late Show with David Letterman, one of my favorite shows of all time.

Invitations to the Will it Float after-show party go to helen, surfingfarmboy, palama kid, mel, pzarquon, and zztype for grinding their way through those hoops.

Question 3
                            Category: It's My Life and I'll Do What I want!
                            "As I said, it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." Whose autobiography ends with these words?
                            Well. Without meaning to, I made this question harder than it should have been, because I misquoted former President Bill Clinton. The actual quote is, "As I said, I think it's a good story, and I've had a good time telling it." I was wondering why it wasn't Googling correctly.

Hail to the chief and to surfingfarmboy, pzarquon, and zztype for getting that one right.

42: surfingfarmboy
                            36: zztype
                            35: tiptoetulip
                            34: shave ice
                            26.5: mel
                            25: pzarquon
                            24: glen miyashiro, lavagal
                            14.825: helen
                            12.875: kevin_jay
                            4: palama kid
                            3: pomai

New questions, next post!
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for Day 16!

Question 1
                              Category: IBM Presents: You Make the Call!
                              In professional football, if, on a kickoff, a player on the receiving team touches the ball but it gets away from him and then goes out of bounds in the end zone, what is the ruling?

Question 2
                              Category: Repast Podcast!
                              In a recent HawaiiDiner podcast, what restaurant's cheeseburger was said to have been repeatedly and consistently disappointing to the panel of judges in this summer's quest for the best cheeseburger?

Question 3
                              Category: Oooh, That Smell!
                              What children's book tells the story of how a family of orphaned, baby skunks tries to survive its first year?

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 PM on October 16!
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for Day 16!

Question 1
                                Category: IBM Presents: You Make the Call!
                                In professional football, if, on a kickoff, a player on the receiving team touches the ball but it gets away from him and then goes out of bounds in the end zone, what is the ruling?
                                From NFL.com: "Safety: The situation in which the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal if the impetus comes from a player on that team. Two points are scored for the opposing team."

This is my interpretation, but I'm going to check it out and get back to you all in a few days, correcting the score if necessary: When the receiver touches the ball, it's still live. If he or she touches it, it is returnable. If it then goes out of bounds, the "impetus" is from the receiver, meaning it's a safety. If someone can convince me otherwise, I'd appreciate it!

Big foam fingers to zztype for getting it right. Surfingfarmboy had it right, but changed his answer. Lavagal said the kicking team gets it back, which is pretty much true, but there's a free kick in there -- the team doesn't just get it back. Helen said the kicking team gets "one or two points," which would have been correct if the answer was just "two points."

Whew. Bring on the mud-flinging.

Question 2
                                Category: Repast Podcast!
                                In a recent HawaiiDiner podcast, what restaurant's cheeseburger was said to have been repeatedly and consistently disappointing to the panel of judges in this summer's quest for the best cheeseburger?
                                If you haven't listened to this podcast, you really must. With all due respect to several others who post here, I must say that HawaiiDiner's podcast is the best Hawaii-originated podcast out there. Consistently interesting, articulate, and delicious, it is a good reason to own an iPod.

The losing burger is Kua Aina, which helen, surfingfarmboy, zztype, mel, and pzarquon all got right!

Question 3
                                Category: Oooh, That Smell!
                                What children's book tells the story of how a family of orphaned, baby skunks tries to survive its first year?
                                The answer I was looking for is The Dangerous Year, which surfingfarmboy got! If someone can convince me that any of the other submitted answers is also described by my question, I'll be happy to award additional points!

I'll post the standings in the morning. My battery is about to die and I left the charger at work. Sorry! This means no new questions today -- I'll extend the game one day as a consequence.

I suck!
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X