Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HawaiiThreads Trivia Game (2nd Edition)!

It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!
    Here are the answers for day 21!

Question 1
    Category: What's in a Name?
    For one eighth of a point each, name the popular musicians or bands who are also known by these nicknames:
    1. Slowhand -- Eric Clapton
    2. The Boss -- Bruce Springsteen
    3. The Motor City Madman -- Ted Nugent
    4. The Godfather of Soul -- James Brown
    5. The Queen of Soul -- Aretha Franklin
    6. The Bad Boys from Boston -- Aerosmith
    7. Great Gonzo -- Ted Nugent; however, see below!
    8. That Little Old Band from Texas -- ZZ Type. I mean ZZ Top.
    9. The King of Rock and Roll -- Elvis Presley
    10. The Waimea Cowboy -- Sonny Chillingworth
    11. The Red Rocker -- Sammy Hagar
    12. The King of the World -- Clarence Clemons
    13. The Man in Black -- Johnny Cash
    14. The Master of the Telecaster (I'm looking for someone who's not a member of the E Street band) -- Albert Collins
    15. The Killer -- Jerry Lee Lewis
    16. The Red-Headed Stranger -- Willie Nelson

I'm almost SURE "The Great Gonzo" isn't just something that appears on Ted Nugent's albums, but I couldn't find much evidence to back that up, so everyone's getting credit for that one. There were multiple (incorrect) guesses on The King of the World, but my favorite was "Leonardo DiCaprio" by Kilinahe and Pzarquon (Hey...are you two playing as a team?). There were also multiple guesses on Master of the Telecaster. If you can send me some convincing evidence that your answer is as good as mine, I'll give you the eighth of a point.

ZZtype got 16 right! With 15 are mel, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon. 14: kevin_jay and lavagal. 13: Kilinahe. 10: jdub. 7: helen.

Question 2
    Category: Come Gather 'Round People, Wherever You Roam
    In what popular game does it cost one white mana to cast a Sacred Rites spell?
    Mel, zztype, kevin_jay, and pzarquon all correctly identified the collectible card game, Magic: The Gathering. Surfingfarmboy gets a half point for saying "Odyssey," which is the name of a card-series in Magic.

Here are the current standings!
    56.375: surfingfarmboy
    48: zztype
    37.875: mel
    pzarquon: 35.375
    35: tiptoetulip
    34: shave ice
    32.75: lavagal
    26: glen miyashiro
    22.1: helen
    16.75: kevin_jay
    10: kimo55
    7.625: kilinahe
    4: palama kid
    3: pomai
    2: madazza
    2.75: jdub

New questions, next post!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 22!

Question 1
      Category: Film Flam
      What was the first film to be given the MPAA PG-13 rating?

Question 2
      Category: Live Aid
      What Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization provides medical care to people in poor countries?

Question 3
      Category: Moo Juice
      Why was local milk recalled in 1983?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 23!

Good luck, and have fun!
      Last edited by scrivener; October 22, 2005, 11:42 PM. Reason: "Everybody wants a box of chocolates and a long-stemmed rose . . ."
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 22!

Question 1
        Category: Film Flam
        What was the first film to be given the MPAA PG-13 rating?
        The first film awarded the PG-13 rating was The Flamingo Kid, while the first film to be released with the rating was Red Dawn ("Woooolveriiiiiiiiines!") -- both of which I decided before posting the question were good answers. Popcorn and Junior Mints to helen, surfingfarmboy, kevin_jay, zztype, and lavagal for their strong language and adult situations!

Question 2
        Category: Live Aid
        What Nobel Peace Prize-winning organization provides medical care to people in poor countries?
        In English-speaking countries, it's Doctors Without Borders; its official name is Medecins Sans Frontieres, and if there's a more deserving organization, I can't think of one. I almost think they should have retired the award after it was given to them.

One point to helen, surfingfarmboy, mel, kevin_jay, zztype, and lavagal for getting that one right.

Question 3
        Category: Moo Juice
        Why was local milk recalled in 1983?
        Heptachlor, an insecticide that was used on pineapples, was showing up in too-high quantities in milk. The pineapple tops were fed to cows, and you can figure out the rest. Heptachlor was a known carcinogen, but it is no longer used in the United States, according to surfingfarmboy, who'd know! Mel and zztype also got this one right.

Honorable mention goes to helen for "foremost" (which, in a way, I suppose is correct!) and lavagal for "It had chocolate in it and it looked kinda pink so even though it wasn’t tainted, it was recalled for aesthetic reasons." Wow. That last one's a doozy.

Here are the current standings!
        59.375: surfingfarmboy
        51: zztype
        39.875: mel
        35.375: pzarquon
        34.75: lavagal
        24.1: helen
        18.75: kevin_jay
        7.625: kilinahe

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 23!

Question 1
          Category: The Boat-Rocker
          In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. levels a serious accusation against the American medical and pharmaceutical communities for covering up the drug-manufacturers' apparent contribution to skyrocketing numbers of autistic children. RFK Jr. says it's from mercury levels given to children by the drug-manufacturers. How did the mercury find its way into our children, and what's it doing there anyway?

Question 2
          What movie character tells his favorite author that he stopped getting along with his father the summer he read "The Boat-Rocker?"

Question 3
          If the float on an outrigger canoe rips loose when the canoe is full of paddlers, which way does the canoe tilt? (note: just the float -- the arms that attach the float to the canoe are still on the boat)

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 24!

Good luck, and have fun!
          Last edited by scrivener; October 23, 2005, 11:37 PM. Reason: "Welcome, my son . . . welcome to the machine . . ."
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Little side note on heptachlor: While it isn't available for use in the USA, as an insecticide, I believe it is still okay, if I recall correctly, for use in some electrical equipment, like the transformers one sees up on utility poles. I think heptachlor is still used as an insecticide in some countries, though I don't know which ones in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
              Little side note on heptachlor: While it isn't available for use in the USA, as an insecticide, I believe it is still okay, if I recall correctly, for use in some electrical equipment, like the transformers one sees up on utility poles. I think heptachlor is still used as an insecticide in some countries, though I don't know which ones in particular.
              What purpose does it serve on electrical equipment? Keep bugs out of stuff?
              Last edited by scrivener; October 23, 2005, 11:33 PM. Reason: "See the moon roll across the stars . . ."
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                What purpose does it serve on electrical equipment? Keep bugs out of stuff?
                I just went to a web-site that confirmed what I thought I remembered about heptachlor. It is indeed used in electrical transformers to specifically control fire ant infestations! ( I never knew this!)

Comment

[QUOTE=scrivener]It's the Hawaii Threads Trivia Game!

Heptachlor, an insecticide that was used on pineapples, was showing up in too-high quantities in milk. ... and lavagal for "It had chocolate in it and it looked kinda pink so even though it wasn’t tainted, it was recalled for aesthetic reasons." Wow. That last one's a doozy. [QUOTE]

Hey! Come on! Doesn't any body remember when milk was recalled because of trace quantities of chocolate in it and simply because it was tinted pink? Anyone? ANYONE?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Here are the answers for day 23!

Question 1
                    In a recent issue of Rolling Stone, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. levels a serious accusation against the American medical and pharmaceutical communities for covering up the drug-manufacturers' apparent contribution to skyrocketing numbers of autistic children. RFK Jr. says it's from mercury levels given to children by the drug-manufacturers. How did the mercury find its way into our children, and what's it doing there anyway?
                    Mercury is an ingredient in thimerosol, a preservative in vaccines. The vaccines, when stored in multiple-dosage vials, needed the preservatives in order to combat contamination when needles went back to the vials. Single-dose vials don't need it, but they cost more. Pzarquon asks that we make note of the notes and corrections in italics at the end of the article at The Rolling Stone.

Lavagal, mel, surfingfarmboy, kilinahe, pzarquon, and zztype got it right; helen gets half a point for knowing it was in vaccines.

Question 2
                    What movie character tells his favorite author that he stopped getting along with his father the summer he read "The Boat-Rocker?"
                    It was Ray Kinsella, the main character in one of my all-time favorites, Field of Dreams. Hotdogs and Cracker Jack go to lavagal, surfingfarmboy (who calls this the second agriculture-related question in a row), kilinahe, pzarquon, zztype, and helen swung for the bleachers on that one.

Question 3
                    If the float on an outrigger canoe rips loose when the canoe is full of paddlers, which way does the canoe tilt? (note: just the float -- the arms that attach the float to the canoe are still on the boat)
                    A few people said that without the float, the weight of the arms would tilt the boat in their direction, which is exactly what I would have thought, if I hadn't seen for myself that the arms swing upward. I guess the weight of the float itself holds that side down, but does that mean the hull is weighted unevenly?

Hut, Ho! to lavagal, mel, and helen for getting it right!

here are the current standings!
                    61.375: surfingfarmboy
                    53: zztype
                    41.875: mel
                    37.375: pzarquon
                    37.75: lavagal
                    26.6: helen
                    18.75: kevin_jay
                    9.625: kilinahe

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 24!

Question 1
                      Category: Kwyjibo, Part 2
                      For one-third of a point each, what Hawaii personalities' names are discovered when the letters in these phrases are re-arranged?
                      1. koala rice.
                      2. Dine, you alien.
                      3. Still chant? I do.
                      4. Fink's afar.
                      5. I gell inland.
                      6. Hell! Yuk!
                      7. Tomato map? Ha!
                      8. Jams alone.
                      9. Laying chem.

Please send your answers to me as a PRIVATE MESSAGE by 9:00 p.m. on Octoer 25!

Good luck, and have fun!
                      Last edited by scrivener; October 24, 2005, 10:22 PM. Reason: "My woman from Tokyo -- she's so good to me . . ."
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the answers for day 24!

Question 1
                        Category: Kwyjibo, Part 2
                        For one-third of a point each, what Hawaii personalities' names are discovered when the letters in these phrases are re-arranged?
                        1. koala rice.
                          Carole Kai

2. Dine, you alien.
                          Daniel Inouye

3. Still chant? I do.
                          Lilo and Stitch! Nobody got this one!

4. Fink's afar.
                          Frank Fasi

5. I gell inland.
                          Linda Lingle

6. Hell! Yuk!
                          Kelly Hu

7. Tomato map? Ha!
                          Pat Hamamoto

8. Jams alone.
                          Jason Elam

9. Laying chem.
                          Emily Chang

I don't know about you, but I thought those were fun. For those of you who don't know this trick, when you have to anagram something, a good way to figure the word out is to arrange the letters in the shape of a pyramid. With short words, as can be found in the Jumble puzzles, you'll get the word almost immediately!

Here's how the scoring broke down:
                        mel, surfingfarmboy, and palama kid got 8 of 9.
                        kevin_jay got 7.
                        moto (yay! the return of moto!) and zztype got 6.
                        helen got 4.
                        lavagal got 2.

Here are the current cumulative scores:
                        64.045: surfingfarmboy
                        55: zztype
                        44.545: mel
                        37.375: pzarquon
                        38.42: lavagal
                        27.93: helen
                        21.08: kevin_jay
                        9.625: kilinahe
                        6.67: palama kid
                        2: madazza, moto

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here are the questions for day 25!

Question 1
                          Category: You Belong Among the Wildflowers
                          According to many differing legends, what Hawaiian flower came to be when lovers were forced to separate, with one now living near the sea and the other in the mountains?

Question 2
                          Category: Say Hello to My Little Friends
                          Whose friends include Spike, Shermy, Rerun, Franklin, and 5?

Question 3
                          Category: I See Your True Colors Shining Through
                          Yellow, blue, red, purple, orange, ________, maroon, black.
                          If you noticed these colors while watching ESPN, what color would best fit in the blank?

Please send your answers as a PRIVATE MESSAGE to me by 9:00 p.m. on October 26!

Good luck, and have fun!
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Still chant? I do.
                            Lilo and Stitch! Nobody got this one!
                            Well, everyone else on your list is, you know, real? Are "Lilo & Stitch" Hawaii personalities?

Comment

I don't know about you, but I thought those were fun. For those of you who don't know this trick, when you have to anagram something, a good way to figure the word out is to arrange the letters in the shape of a pyramid. With short words, as can be found in the Jumble puzzles, you'll get the word almost immediately!
                              A better trick is to use one of the many online Anagram generators that are available out there. Here are 3 that I used for the game:

http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/advanced.html

http://www.mi.uib.no/~ingeke/anagram/index_eng.html

http://futureboy.homeip.net/lookup/nph-anagram.pl

Of course none came up with "Lilo and Stitch", but then again I was only looking for real people.
                              Last edited by mel; October 26, 2005, 07:48 AM.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Oh, Mel, Mel, Mel...even you fall victim to the OT disease, don't you? (Never fear - you are amongst supportive friends.)

Comment

Working...
                                X