No announcement yet.

New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

I was a student help based in Keller Hall for a year and half and I didn't even have a clue to that photo. Then again in my defense I rarely used that enterance/exit.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      [...]
      3 pts.: Tutusue
      Cool...and I didn't even play this one 'cuz I never saw it!!! What's the prize for 3 points? I'll try the next one if I can carry over my points!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        Cool...and I didn't even play this one 'cuz I never saw it!!! What's the prize for 3 points? I'll try the next one if I can carry over my points!
        You can absolutely 'carry over' points -- they're cumulative, game to game. That's how we've got players (okay, a player) with 16 points. Considering each game offers a maximum of six points, you can see that it wouldn't take much to climb the charts quickly.

Tracking the game can be a challenge, if this thread disappears off the "Latest Posts" view or if a new page is added to the thread soon after a new game is posted. Your safest bet is to bookmark it, or just search for 'Zoom' now and then to find it again.

Comment

Disagree, PZ. Best way is to click the Thread Tools link in the top bar of this page and SUBSCRIBE to this thread. Then you get an email when someone posts something new to this thread.

Only bugaboo with the subscription is that you MUST VISIT the thread through the link in the email, or you will get no further emails. (I wish it would just send me the emails until I unsubscribed from the thread.)

My $0.02, before tax.

Aloha,

Blaine
          Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
            My $0.02, before tax.
            ... Don't forget to add the gas cap law and bottle bill fee into that equation.

------------------------------------

Pzarquon, what kind of camera are you using for this Zoom game? Consumer Digital? Prosumer SLR?

Some nice shots!
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              Pzarquon, what kind of camera are you using for this Zoom game? Consumer Digital? Prosumer SLR? Some nice shots!
              Thanks. It's nothing especially fancy, but I like it a lot. It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20K. Key for me was the 12x optical zoom. My previous camera was a Olympus C-2100UZ, which also had a good lens.
              Originally posted by Zztype
              Best way is to click the Thread Tools link in the top bar of this page and SUBSCRIBE to this thread. Then you get an email when someone posts something new to this thread.
              Good point. I use that feature on other boards as well.

Deadline for Game 4 is tonight! But... I'm still trying to figure out the next one. Uh oh.

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom, Game 4!

The Theme: Ala Moana Center! Every single person who played this round got the theme correct. Many of you confessed, however, not really going there anymore. Impressively, however, Mel did go there... and photographed every element in this game himself. This must've been the easiest set to date: four of you got all five photos, or the full six points. I thought Photo 5 would be the giveaway, but I have a sneaking suspicion it was Photo 4 instead, which nearly everyone correctly identified.

Photo 1: This is the Ben Bridge Rolex clock on the mall level overlooking Ala Moana Centerstage. As Ala Moana Center continues to grow and expand and mutate with square footage rather than design as a motive, it's hard to find an architectural heart or core to the place, but apart from Centerstage itself, I always thought this clock came close. Unfortunately, I didn't accept "Ben Bridge" or merely "clock" for this one, as those elements were plainly obvious from the photo.

Photo 2: I thought this was the stumper, but plenty of you got it anyway. This is the interior roof design/sculpture/thingie in the Makai Marketplace food court. The pear-shaped light was the key clue. Does anyone know if there's a motif or theme or any particular reason why the ceiling looks like this? With the columns made to look like tree trunks, I get "forest" or "trees," but is it merely interior design or actual art?

Photo 3: As I mentioned, Ala Moana has changed so much, I found it hard to find all that many distinctive, signature elements to the facility overall. Not that malls are pretty places in general, but still. I was walking around, trying to find some visual center, and one of the few things that registered at all was this roof element near the middle of the complex, mauka side. Coming up the Keeaumoku Street ramp, it (or the elevator shaft) is basically the only thing you see apart from parking and concrete walls. There are roof elements within the center that look like this, but not exactly... fortunately most of you pegged the specific location anyway.

Photo 4: This turned out to be the easy one. Yep, it's the koi ponds on the mall level. There's another carp pond on the lower level makai side near by Assagio, but the tiles and the plants are different. Surfingfarmboy asked, but I didn't know... whatever became of the rumors that the koi had been poisoned a while back?

Photo 5: I thought this was the most visible, recognizable part of Ala Moana, but it confused a few of you. Interestingly, a couple of you thought it was something on the ground, rather than up above. This is the roof of Macy's, formerly Liberty House. I always liked this architectural detail of the shopping center... specifically the tapa patterns. If anyone knows the story of the design, I'd love to hear it.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

22 pts.: Scrivener
                21 pts.: Mel
                17 pts.: Zztype
                15 pts.: Pomai
                13 pts.: AbsolutChaos
                10 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
                9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, Helen
                7 pts.: 1stwahine
                5 pts.: Tutusue
                4 pts.: Linkmeister
                3 pts.: Palamakid

New game, next post!

Comment

Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 29. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Comment

Except for maybe that first picture, none of these photos looks anything like what Ala Moana looked like on Friday night!

Hey. That koi-pond photo is old.

And it's too bad you didn't have a shallower focus in that food court picture. I'm getting hungry.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                      Except for maybe that first picture, none of these photos looks anything like what Ala Moana looked like on Friday night!
                      I can imagine. When we lived in town, I'd go to Ala Moana on Black Friday just to watch the madness. I'd go up to the third or now forth level above the mall and just marvel at the sea of humanity.
                      Hey. That koi-pond photo is old.
                      What? No it's not. I took it a few weeks ago, the same time I took the rest of these. I haven't yet dipped into "file photos" for this game, though as time gets short I might have to resort to that... What makes you think it's old?
                      And it's too bad you didn't have a shallower focus in that food court picture. I'm getting hungry.
                      The minute the shutter snapped, I knew you'd have something to say about that photo...

Comment

Many of you confessed, however, not really going there anymore. Impressively, however, Mel did go there... and photographed every element in this game himself.
                        Here are the direct links to each photo. The link above will be rolled after I update the section with newer photos.

1. Ben Bridge Rolex Clock
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942117
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942119

2. Food Court Ceiling Fixture
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942083

3. Rooftop facade
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942052
                        I don't think I got this one correct; should have used the other one that I did not publish.

4. Fishpond
                        http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942253
                        http://macpro.buzznet.com/user/?id=1942234

5. Macy's tapa roof tiles
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942053
                        http://macpro-oahu.buzznet.com/user/?p=1&id=1942054

I shot all of these on Friday while attempting to do some Christmas shopping. The shopping center is a great place to people watch, especially during the holiday shopping season.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

The Theme: "Government Buildings." At least, that was the plan. But the point was made that Photo 2 might not exactly be a government building. So I'll take "Capitol District" as well... even though Photo 4 is a bit outside that area. That was kind of the point (if you knew Photo 4, you'd have to think more about the theme), but... I either overthought or underthought this one, so y'all get the benefit of the doubt. Heh.

Interestingly, several of you commented with relief that this was the easiest set so far, but no one got all five.

Photo 1: Ali`iolani Hale. I might have accepted "King Kamehameha Statue" (even though that's not a building!) if you described where it was, though. Not surprisingly, there was one guess for 'Iolani Palace (which is across the street). Lots of tourists make the same mistake. Notes scrivener, "Named after Kam V, who had it built to house the legislature, courts, and cabinet offices of the Kingdom. It is also where the overthrow was plotted in 1893. One of my favorite buildings in Hawaii, and I'm sure I'm not alone!"

Photo 2: This is the Honolulu Board of Water Supply building on Beretania. Most of you got it, probably because of the color over anything else! Not a pretty building, but distinctive, I thought. I also once worked as an intern here, and had many fond memories (mostly of other interns). But is it a government building?

Photo 3: As giveaways go, this photo takes the cake so far. I could've "zoomed" a lot more severely, but I like the building too much to not show a little more of it. This is, of course the State Capitol Building. So many architectural touches and concepts that it deserves its own Discovery Channel feature.

Photo 4: Kauikeaouli Hale, or the District Court Building, at 1111 Alakea. The stumper of the set, and how. Two of you got it, though. Most common guess? The Honolulu Municipal Building. A couple of you also guessed the Kuhio Federal Building on Punchbowl. I can see the similarity. Two ways to know this is District Court? The Municipal Building doesn't have the overhang element, and you can see a downtown highrise reflected in the windows.

Photo 5: Why, Honolulu Hale of course. The roof, the Spanish architecture, it should be as familiar as the State Capitol. See the tower in the shot? It always reminds me of Andy Mirikitani in exile. Most interesting guess? "Roof of the Our Lady of Peace Cathedral."

By all rights, the Municipal Building should have been a photo in this set, especially if "Capitol District" was my theme. But I wanted something outside that to shake things up. The Municipal Building is an interesting animal, too. Did you know its "earthquake proof" design meant that every floor had an gentle arch/slope to it? If you had an office on an end (as my dad did), you needed to prop up some of your furniture!

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

27 pts.: Scrivener
                          26 pts.: Mel
                          21 pts.: Zztype
                          20 pts.: Pomai
                          18 pts.: AbsolutChaos
                          14 pts.: Helen
                          13 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
                          9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick
                          7 pts.: 1stwahine
                          6 pts.: Linkmeister
                          5 pts.: Tutusue
                          3 pts.: Palamakid

New game, next post!

Comment

Here's Honolulu Zoom Game 6!

Send your answers or guesses to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 2. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Comment

Photo 4: Kauikeaouli Hale, or the District Court Building, at 1111 Alakea. The stumper of the set, and how. Two of you got it, though. Most common guess? The Honolulu Municipal Building. A couple of you also guessed the Kuhio Federal Building on Punchbowl. I can see the similarity. Two ways to know this is District Court? The Municipal Building doesn't have the overhang element, and you can see a downtown highrise reflected in the windows.
                              Awww, phooey. The courthouse building was my first guess, but I was running an errand on South Street, so I parked the car next to the Advertiser Building, crossed the streets, and stood right in front of the Municipal Building, saying to myself, "This is it." I hate it when I outsmart myself.

Or outdumb myself. Whatever.

I thought your dad was a State employee.
                              Last edited by scrivener; November 29, 2005, 09:01 PM. Reason: "Lines form on my face and hands . . ."
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 5!

That overhang puzzled me indeed. I was one who thought it was the Municipal Building, yet my photographic memory questioned any overhang ever being there.

Hey, choosing a building "way out" on Alakea st. is no fair! Oh yeah.. the downtown highrise reflection.. Ahah! Uhuh.. err.

Still, this one was certainly the easiest yet. Enough that I didn't have to drive or walk around in order to identify 4 of 5, plus the accepted "theme" correctly.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X