No announcement yet.

New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What & Where?

Originally posted by scrivener
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the clifs of the nearboy mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! I hate myself!
    not to jump too far off on tangent, but how similar are Hawaii's Southern Baptists to the traditions and beliefs of the SBs from the South™?

pax

Comment

Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 8!

I'm making this one a little tricky. The theme is more than just "buildings." You need to tell me, why these five structures specifically?

Send your answers to ryanozawa@gmail.com by 8 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 8. Don't forget to put "Zoom" in the subject line, and don't forget to include your guess at the "theme"! As always, free to discuss your answers after the answer deadline if my answer key and scores are AWOL.

Only a few games left, folks! If you don't know, start guessing!

Comment

Off Topic Warning

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
        not to jump too far off on tangent, but how similar are Hawaii's Southern Baptists to the traditions and beliefs of the SBs from the South™?
        Well, as you probably know, the reason the Southern Baptists split from the American Baptists was over the issue of slavery, so it really depends on what you mean by "traditional," because even traditional SBs aren't that traditional!

But to answer your question the way you intend it, doctrinally there is very little difference, 'though there has been a philosophical shift in the Southern Baptist Convention over the past twenty years, moving (in practice, not in doctrine) from moderate to conservative, or from conservative to fundamentalist, depending on how you define terms. However, practical and philosophical changes have slowly resulted in doctrinal changes, especially with regard to the "inerrancy" of the scripture. There has been much conflict over these issues, but we in Hawaii have kept ourselves pretty far removed.

Some say the conservatives have returned the Convention to its "traditions," but most of the people I know say that the Convention has abandoned its traditions. I'll be happy to discuss this further and in more detail in another thread (or on another website if you wish!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearboy mountains.
          I did not know this! Very interesting. Is this it, or is it another church?

Were the buildings similar enough, I would've been happy to give you the point... had your guess actually been the Pearl Harbor Baptist Church. Alas, it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Here's Honolulu Zoom, Game 8!

I'm making this one a little tricky. The theme is more than just "buildings." You need to tell me, why these five structures specifically?
            finally, an easy one! Cause they all look crooked enough to lose a balcony or two in the next windstorm!!

oh crap. I stare bleakly at all these pics in this thread, since I don't recognize nuthin', whether its a close-up or a pan-back. (oooh, star! Come to find out, its a star on a bldg that I still don't know where zit at!)

</b*tchin>

[kicks dirt]

pax

Comment

Re: New Game! Honolulu Zoom: What &amp; Where?

Yeah, that is it, but a side view would give you a better look. It's very, very different from the Kailua building, but it's obviously built with the same theme in mind!
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Off Topic Warning

Well, as you probably know...
                really, I do not know much about the differences or the history. It is a recent fascination of mine, and I would happy to learn more about it.

thanks, Scriv.

pax

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I did not get this one, but it was NOT a stumper! I KNEW this was Kailua Baptist! I am a Southern Baptist (as I've confessed in the past) and there are two Southern Baptist church-buildings on the island with roofs that look like this. Kailua and Pearl Harbor (where I was baptized, behind the Salt Lake Library). They had the same architect, and the roofs are designed to look like the cliffs of the nearby mountains. The only reason I didn't say Kailua Baptist is that it's not in Honolulu! I hate myself!
                  That will be 10 Hail Marys as penance.
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Re: New Game! Honolulu (Oahu?) Zoom: What &amp; Where?

Going out of Honolulu area and into (in this case) Kailua is more than being a stumper, it's changing the overall topic of the game. Unless you're gonna' rename the game, "Oahu Zoom".

No fair! I going tell yo' maddah!.. whaaahhh.. whaaahhh.

The theme was certainly the easiest yet.

If the game were called "Oahu Zoom", it'd be neat to do one on beaches and lookouts. Like Pali Lookout, Tantalus, Chinaman's Hat, Sunset, Chun's Reef, Makapu`u.. that 'kinda stuff.

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 7!

Photo 1: I started with the stumper... although if you drove into Kailua often over the Pali, you'd probably know this one. This is Kailua Baptist Church, right on Kailua Road about a half mile past St. Francis on the left. At least in my mind, this structure was always relatively distinctive. But it's definitely the smallest building in this group! Not a single person got it. Maybe I should have left Central Union Church in, instead!
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Re: New Game! Honolulu (Oahu?) Zoom: What &amp; Where?

Originally posted by Pomai
                      Going out of Honolulu area and into (in this case) Kailua is more than being a stumper, it's changing the overall topic of the game. Unless you're gonna' rename the game, "Oahu Zoom".
                      You know what? This is a good point. I called it "Honolulu Zoom" simply because "Hawaii Zoom" was too broad... and I was thinking, "Honolulu County," as in all of O'ahu. I'd hoped since the inception to include stuff from other areas, other neighborhoods (hence some of you expressing fears of a Mililani edition).

I guess it's just chance that the sets so far have been limited to some definition of "town," so I apologize for the confusion.

Instead of venturing further out, maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead!

Comment

Answers for Game 8 due tonight! And at least one of you got the full theme, so the baseline has been set.

I think our next game will be our special, not Honolulu (or O`ahu) edition.

Comment

Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 8!

The Theme: I decided to be a stickler on this one. It's "Tallest Buildings in Hawaii." Not condos (the First Hawaiian Tower isn't residential), not "ugly buildings" (c'mon, they're not all ugly!), not "weird architecture" (though I guess they might qualify). Depending on who is doing the measuring, and whether you count spires or other structures or only usable floors, the order of these buildings might vary… but they're definitely in the top ten overall. My chosen source is the Emporis site, formerly Skyscrapers.com, to which I contributed photos once upon a time. Note that I decided to lump Hawaiki Tower with Nauru Tower, though they're not the same height. They're part of the same complex (404 Piikoi), and anyway, they looked too much alike to be any fun.

Photo 1: First Hawaiian Center, 999 Bishop Street, 429 feet tall, completed in 1996.

Photo 2: Nauru Tower, 1302 Ala Moana, 418 feet tall, completed in 1992. Related to Hawaiki Tower. And there's lots more coming. Hokua, which is coming up right next door, will be 418 feet tall when it's completed next year.

Photo 3: One Waterfront Tower, South and Auahi Streets, 400 feet tall, completed in 1990. Some call 'em the paper clip buildings. My friends preferred 'King Kong's Urinals.' How quaint.

Photo 4: One Archer Lane, 801 S. King Street, 400 feet tall, completed in 1998. Home of KITV, and apparently, a few ghosts.

Photo 5: Imperial Plaza, Cooke Street and Kapiolani Boulevard, 400 feet tall, completed in 1992.

Honolulu Zoom Standings:

43 pts.: Scrivener
                          39 pts.: Mel
                          32 pts.: Pomai
                          30 pts.: Zztype, AbsolutChaos
                          25 pts.: Helen
                          17 pts.: Surfingfarmboy
                          10 pts.: Linkmeister
                          9 pts.: Glen Miyashiro, Dick, Tutusue
                          7 pts.: 1stwahine
                          6 pts.: Paul Ogata
                          3 pts.: Palamakid

Welcome, Paul, to the game. Strong first round!

Game 9 is still under construction. Take five, everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Here is the answer key for Honolulu Zoom Game 8!

The Theme: I decided to be a stickler on this one. It's "Tallest Buildings in Hawaii." Not condos (the First Hawaiian Tower isn't residential), not "ugly buildings" (c'mon, they're not all ugly!), not "weird architecture" (though I guess they might qualify). [-----------] Game 9 is still under construction. Take five, everybody!
                            In all fairness, if the theme was TALLEST BUILDINGS, then Aloha Tower should've been in the set. Aloha Tower held that title for a long time. Not currently, but still, a major point made by historians.

My first guess was Postmodern Architecture (buildings/highrises/skyscrapers).

Take 5? As in photos... clever!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Aloha Tower is only 10 floors up. It was long surpassed by whatever hotel in Waikiki became the first high rise, possibly the Ilikai, maybe the long gone Biltmore.

Just for the record the State of Hawaii Data Book states that Hawaiki Tower is the 5th tallest building in Honolulu (Hawaii) as of March 2005.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                                Aloha Tower is only 10 floors up. It was long surpassed by whatever hotel in Waikiki became the first high rise, possibly the Ilikai, maybe the long gone Biltmore.
                                This is true.

Still, consider the fact that Aloha Tower was built in 1926 and wasn't out-"tallified" until the 60's. Quite a feat by today's standards. It was also pointed out that this was a historical reference. Not current.

Glad you mentioned the Biltmore Hotel. Apparently that structure was demolised by implosion. No? Before my time. The last implosion I can remember was the site of First Hawaiian Center. The only other implosion in Hawaii history that I can recall was Kaiser Hospital in Waikiki. Born there!

Speaking of tall, the new Freedom Tower replacing the demolished WTC will be quite an amazing structure.

Currently, the top tallest buildings in the world are:
                                1.) Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan, 1,670 ft.
                                2.) Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 1,483 ft.
                                3.) Sears Tower, Chicago, 1,450 ft.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X