Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name that person

Of boy! How'd I miss one on Pirates!

It's Woodes Rogers who's life later inspired Daniel Defoe to write the famous novel "Robinson Crusoe".
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Here's a LINK I've found about Woodes Rogers.

Comment

CORRECT MM! I will have to dig deeper for more people to throw at you guys
        A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

This person made a traffic light built on railroad signals which was installed in Detroit of 1920. He was the son of a former slave and was born in 1877 in Kentucky. This person also saved 32 men trapped during an explosion in an underground tunnel 250 feet beneath Lake Erie, by using his gas mask. His picture was taken in the newspaper along with the others who helped but his name was never documented. In fact his invention was used for the first world war. Who is this person?

Comment

I should know this man... I remember seeing a program awhile ago on the "first gas masks" Hmmm... Let me think

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
              I should know this man... I remember seeing a program awhile ago on the "first gas masks" Hmmm... Let me think
              It came on the History Channel but I did some further investigation on the net. Can you figure out who this person is?

Comment

Is is Lewis P. Haslett? I Googled it and got the patent # 6529

Comment

Is is Lewis P. Haslett? I Googled it and got the patent # 6529

Nice Try, but NO. Here's the answer it was Garret Morgan. You see the traffic light was invented before there was cars on the road and it was installed in London Garret Morgan just perfected the system.....If you were talking about gas mask than CORRECT! You see Garret Morgan was a business man and he came up with something called the Morgan Safety hood which is I think closely designed like the first gas mask, but than again who's to say they both protect people from harmful airborne bacteria. I hope we never have to use either one of them to breath out in the open air. That would be scary
                  Last edited by Pedro; May 15, 2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Ooops! I was still thinking gas masks not street lights... oh well.

At least I didn't lose any money... HaHa!
                    Last edited by Menehune Man; May 15, 2006, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Ooops! I was still thinking gas masks not street lights... oh well.

At least I didn't lose any money... HaHa!
                      That's true but I am too broke to give anyone money but I hope that doesn't stop them from playing....

Comment

In 1891, ( _ ) left everything he knew behind, boarded a steamer in Marseille, France and travelled aboard a succession of ships for 69 days to Tahiti to "live in peace and to avoid being influenced by our civilization ... to create simple art."

Comment

In 1891, ( _ ) left everything he knew behind, boarded a steamer in Marseille, France and travelled aboard a succession of ships for 69 days to Tahiti to "live in peace and to avoid being influenced by our civilization ... to create simple art."
                          Paul Gauguin
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Paul Gauguin
                            Yes indeed!

Comment

In September 1835, ( _ )'s voyage aboard the HMS Beagle brought him to the Galapagos, where he was famously taken with the differences between the inhabitants of the different islands, especially the finches and tortoises.

Comment

Charles Darwin.

Comment

Working...
                                X