• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name That Food

Originally posted by glossyp
    1) Typhoon popcorn

2) sounds like pickled papaya or mango not sure on this one

3) waffle dog
    1.) Close, but you're in the wrong region of the Pacific.

2.) Close, but pickling usually only has raw ingredients. Not any type of prepared sauce as mentioned.

3.) Waffle Dog it is. Last I heard the owners were going to license someone to manufacture it for market distribution. I think it was Golden Coin. Anyone know the scoop on that?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[QUOTE=Pomai]1.) Close, but you're in the wrong region of the Pacific.

Tsunami spin popcorn
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Tsunami? Typhoon? You folks are killing me already!

It's HURRICANE POPCORN. How long have you folks lived off island? That's been the universal name used locally for this concoction for decades now. It's even a trademarked brand .

The unique flavor of popcorn, combined with Mochi Crunch, Furikake and hint of sweet, salty and buttery flavors just melts in the mouth.

Answer to the second question is SHOYU MANGO. A simple mixture of equal parts shoyu, vinegar and sliced semi-ripe or green mango. But I can understand the confusion, as it's very close in ingredients to pickled mango.

Your guys turn. Formulate some Name that Food questions.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          Tsunami? Typhoon? You folks are killing me already!

It's HURRICANE POPCORN. How long have you folks lived off island? That's been the universal name used locally for this concoction for decades now. It's even a trademarked brand .

The unique flavor of popcorn, combined with Mochi Crunch, Furikake and hint of sweet, salty and buttery flavors just melts in the mouth.

Answer to the second question is SHOYU MANGO. A simple mixture of equal parts shoyu, vinegar and sliced semi-ripe or green mango. But I can understand the confusion, as it's very close in ingredients to pickled mango.

Your guys turn. Formulate some Name that Food questions.
          I only remembered the name "Typhoon." I see that Typhoon is the sour cream/chive version.

I don't want to think up questions! That's the hard part - besides you're doing so well!

Comment

Here's one:

Some people think I'm bland and boring but that is usually because they have only tried the version made from a store-bought mix or canned product. When I'm made with my main ingredient from a fresh source, I'm very tasty. I'm a traditional Hawaiian food.

Edited to add a clue.
            Last edited by glossyp; May 13, 2006, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Here's one:

Some people think I'm bland and boring but that is usually because they have only tried the version made from a store-bought mix or canned product. When I'm made with my main ingredient from a fresh source, I'm very tasty. I'm a traditional Hawaiian food.

Edited to add a clue.
              Is it haupia?
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's one:

Edited to add a clue.
                You're not talking about POI are you? I never ever seen it in dehydrated or canned form sold locally. Unless I just wasn't looking for it. Strictly fresh from the local Costco produce section at 10:30am sharp!
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                  Is it haupia?
                  Correct! Sorry to take so long in getting back to the forum.

Comment

Here's an easy one: what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.

Miulang

Comment

O.K. I'll give this thread a shot with a question that should be fairly easy for most anyone familiar with Hawaii to get:

This tasty confection, marketed by a company based in Los Angeles, proclaims itself as "Hawaii's Favorite". What is it?

Comment

Here's an easy one: what are the local equivalents of a French beignet. One you can find at many bakeries and at school carnivals and the other normally would be made at home? Both of these products originally came from different countries.

Miulang
                        I have to go with first, the obvious answer, which would be malassadas. The second part of the answer? Not sure. I'll say it's andagi...the Okinawa doughnut that I see sold for a buck at Aloha Stadium during football games.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                          I have to go with first, the obvious answer, which would be malassadas. The second part of the answer? Not sure. I'll say it's andagi...the Okinawa doughnut that I see sold for a buck at Aloha Stadium during football games.
                          Correct on both counts !

Miulang

Comment

Got one that's a little more difficult: there's a local food very similar to dinaguan (Filipino blood stew) but I don't think it's Filipino. It may have been derived from dinaguan (there was an old Chinese man who owned a neighborhood grocery store who made this dish and very onolicious tripe stew) because some of the ingredients are similar. Its name sounds like a very ubiquitous local dish that has hamburger in it, but it's not spelled the same. What the heck is it?

Miulang

Comment

Its name sounds like a very ubiquitous local dish that has hamburger in it, but it's not spelled the same. What the heck is it?
                              Ubiquitous? Ho, I bet you live mainland, yeah? Must be something that sounds like loco moco?

Comment

GlossyP, I've never seen canned Haupia either. Does that exist on the mainland?

Regarding the Malasada, of course we all know that originated from Portugal.

In the early 90's, former Pres. Bill Clinton made a stop at the Okinawan festival and sampled some Andagi. My fav' is the ANDADOG!

Surfingfarmboy, you got me. The only product from the mainland who should have the RIGHT to use "Hawaii's Favorite" as their slogan would be SPAM.

Finally, Dinuguan.. yummy! I like the "soupy" version. Not the dry 'kine. Bautista's in the Wakiki International Market Place (also located in Pearlridge) has killer Dinuguan!

Miulang, I've never heard of the other variation that you mention. Is the name a spin on "Loco Moco"? Long shot. The only other local delicacy I can think of with pig's blood is BLOOD SAUSAGE from Hilo.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X