• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 4!
    Here are today's answers!

Category: Charm School
    What HTer, absent for more than a year, owns a Good Luck shop in the 99 Ranch Market?
    Why, that would be Olelo regular and former mayoral candidate Lillian Hong at her Good Luck store in Mapunapuna's 99 Ranch Market. Little jade frogs to Moto, the only one who got that one right!

Category: And She Shot an Arrow into My Heart
    What Oscar-winning actress very nearly made the 2000 U.S. archery team?
    The graceful, lovely, talented, smart Geena Davis. *sigh* She puts a quiver in me whenever I see her. Helen, localgrl, Surfingfarmboy, mel, and Moto hit the bullseye on that one!

Category: Stop in the Name of Love
    What is the name of the popular children's playground game where players race toward a child while his or her back is turned but freeze in place when he or she turns around to face them? (additional info: if somone is seen moving when the child turns around, he or she is sent back to the starting line)
    It's the eternally fun Red Light, Green Light! Localgrl and Surfingfarmboy get extra recess for remembering this classic!

Here are the current standings!
    8: Surfingfarmboy
    5: Palama Kid
    4: pzarquon, Moto, localgrl
    3: helen
    2: Leo Lakio, mel
    1.5: jdub
    1: Madazza, Erika Engle

We're only 12.9% of the way through this game, so jump in!

New questions, next post!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 5!
      Here are today's questions!
      1. Category: We Wanted to Push Them Around
        What band didn't show up at 1997's Poifest?

2. Category: The Politics of Dancing
        What retired local politician's wife was once in a movie with Elvis Presley?

3. Category: I Got Unlucky, Babe, When I Saw This Movie
        What is the odd connection between a Johnny Depp movie that's one of the
        worst films I've ever seen and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers? (note: this question has NOTHING to do with the video for "Into the Great Wide Open")

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 20! Good luck, and have fun!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 5!

Category: We Wanted to Push Them Around
        What band didn't show up at 1997's Poifest?
        The Verve Pipe, Buck-o-Nine, Cowboy Mouth, and Matchbox 20 made it out to Kuilima that day, but Smash Mouth supposedly missed a flight. Two lighters up for Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, Erika Engle, localgrl, and Mel for getting that one right!

Category: The Politics of Dancing
        What retired local politician's wife was once in a movie with Elvis Presley?
        It was the former Vicky Tiu, of the Ginny Tiu Revue, who appeared with Elvis in It Happened at the World's Fair. Little Vicky Tiu grew up to experience success as the owner of United Laundry Services and then to marry Governor Ben Cayetano. Washington Place Christmas ornaments go to Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel for knowing that one!

Category: I Got Unlucky, Babe, When I Saw This Movie
        What is the odd connection between a Johnny Depp movie that's one of the
        worst films I've ever seen and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers? (note: this question has NOTHING to do with the video for "Into the Great Wide Open")
        Nobody got this! So I'm going to do something I've never done in this game: Grant a one-day extension with a hint (like in the logos, buildings, and art game). The film was Dead Man, a stinker if ever I've seen one. Half a point for finding the connection between this film and Tom Petty's Heartbreakers.

10: Surfingfarmboy
        6: Palama Kid, Moto
        5: localgrl
        4: pzarquon, mel
        3: helen
        2: Leo Lakio, Erika Engle
        1: Madazza

New questions, next post! Feel free to jump in if you've been a little shy!
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

You guys all too smart for me

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 6!
            1. Category: His Blood is in My Instrument
              Which HTer is said by some to bear a resemblance to the director of the Honolulu Symphony Pops?

2. Category: Big Shues to Fill

Who's this?

3. Category: I'm Not One to Toot My Own Horn (but I would if I could)
              What instruments are known by Juilliard students as "the big three?"

And don't forget: Half a point for the correct answer to yesterday's unanswered question!

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Monday, August 21! Good luck, and have fun!
            Last edited by scrivener; August 20, 2006, 10:09 PM.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Aaack! I just tried to PM my answers for Day 6 and I got this nasty system message:

scrivener has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

I am tempted to post my answer here... but it is all wrong!

I sent it through the email address you posted in this thread. This should count given your PM box is still full after 4 trys. I'll keep trying until 8:59 PM.
              Last edited by mel; August 21, 2006, 08:34 PM.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

of course it will count.
                but just in case someone didn't think of that, i'll take guesses for another hour.
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  Who's this?
                  What a lovely face!
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 6!

Category: His Blood is in My Instrument
                    Which HTer is said by some to bear a resemblance to the director of the Honolulu Symphony Pops?
                    Today was the first day of school, and I'm too tired to put up pictures. However, I decided when I posted this last night that I'd pretty much take any answer, because as soon as one person says it, that counts as "some."
                    There were three votes for pzarquon, two for me, and two for doc (adrian). I think you're crazy if you think ryan or adrian looks like him, and I only do on a good day, but we both have ponytails tied back, goatees, round-framed glasses, and a little bit of extra storage for winter. I never thought I looked much like him until I pulled the most recent issue of MidWeek out of the mailbox and at first thought it was me! Standing ovations for mel, palama kid, pzarquon, helen, surfingfarmboy, localgrl, and moto!

Category: Big Shues to Fill

Who's this?
                    It's Tamlyn Tomita (pictured here for a part she played in JAG for two seasons), Ralph Macchio's love-interest in The Karate Kid, Part II and Waverly the chess-demon in The Joy Luck Club, a movie I have great admiration for, for several reasons. Green tea for helen, pzarquon, and moto!

Category: I'm Not One to Toot My Own Horn (but I would if I could)
                    What instruments are known by Juilliard students as "the big three?"
                    According to Nothing but the Best, a wonderful book about life at Juilliard, the Big Three are the piano, violin, and cello. Makes sense when you think about it. Many of you got two, but only Palama Kid got three (and I think he was guessing)! One person offered "Three-piece serving set" for Juilliard's culinary school.

And don't forget: Half a point for the correct answer to yesterday's unanswered question!
                    Palama Kid and pzarquon both quoted the same blurb: "Billy Bob Thornton's character is named Big George Drakoulious. George Drakoulis is a musician and has produced music for The Black Crowes and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Jared Harris' character is named Benmont Tench. Benmont Tench is a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers." I was really going for the Benmont Tench angle. Save yourself a few hours and don't see this lousy movie. Wildflowers and half a point each for palama kid and pzarquon.

11: Surfingfarmboy
                    8.5: Palama Kid
                    8: Moto
                    6.5: pzarquon
                    6: localgrl
                    5: mel, helen
                    2: Leo Lakio, Erika Engle

Last edited by scrivener; August 22, 2006, 12:18 AM.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 7!
                      1. Category: Seoul Food
                        What Korean dish, available in just about every Korean restaurant in America, it seems, is made with various mixed vegetables served on steamed rice, often with a fried egg and a small amount of beef?

2. Category: Radio Killed the Sudoku-Maker
                        Whose nightly, nationally syndicated radio show mixes advice for the lovelorn with five hours of sappy love-songs, plus personal updates, listener requests, and song-dedications, and makes me nearly ill in every plate-lunch restaurant I ever go to on weeknights?

3. Category: The Dancingest Hemisphere of All!
                        What group of internationally touring college-aged singers and dancers has performed at four SuperBowl halftime shows?

Please send me your answers IN PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 22! Good luck, and have fun!
                      Last edited by scrivener; August 21, 2006, 11:02 PM.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Regarding Tamlyn Tomita: One comment....Arrrrgghhh!

I asked several of my fellow plowboys if they recognized the picture of Tomita yesterday, and most of them replied that she looked familiar...that perhaps (or said she actually was) was on the television show JAG! I ignored their answers completely and thought to myself that Tomita was perhaps some recent local hot-shot naval officer of note somewhere in the Honolulu metro area who did something recently to warrent being in the news there.

My propensity of not watching any network TV, other than the nighty news, football games, and The Weather Channel, is going to kill me this round of trivia!
                        Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 21, 2006, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                          Regarding Tamlyn Tomita: One comment....Arrrrgghhh!
                          When I first saw the photo, I had the same thought... "This must be the new public information officer for the Navy in Hawaii or something."

I'm sure my wife will be happy to learn that I had a hard time naming her as well. Scrivener has designated so many women - some famous, some not - as total babes, that I couldn't narrow them down enough. Fortunately, as usual, his clue was key, and I knew the woman in the photo either preceded or followed Elisabeth Shue in a role, hence, Karate Kid and Karate Kid II.

Comment

**********************************ooooops!******** *

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              I knew the woman in the photo either preceded or followed Elisabeth Shue in a role, hence, Karate Kid and Karate Kid II.
                              Huh??? You got that from "Shues" ???

And to think, I told Scrivener that my guess is Kelly Hu because of his misspelling clue. Well, at least, they kinda-sorta look alike (Hu and Tomita, not Scriv and Hu). Don't they? Or at my advanced age, are all Asian women starting to look alike? Man, when I was young, I think I could differentiate among Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. Not no mo.

Naaah, I can still tell my sisters-in-law apart. Don't tell my sisters-in-law, but maybe it's just younger women.
                              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 7!

Category: Seoul Food
                                What Korean dish, available in just about every Korean restaurant in America, it seems, is made with various mixed vegetables served on steamed rice, often with a fried egg and a small amount of beef?
                                You know it's bi bim bap, and so did Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, and pzarquon!

Category: Radio Killed the Sudoku-Maker
                                Whose nightly, nationally syndicated radio show mixes advice for the lovelorn with five hours of sappy love-songs, plus personal updates, listener requests, and song-dedications, and makes me nearly ill in every plate-lunch restaurant I ever go to on weeknights?
                                Yes, that would be Delilah after Dark. She seems like a very, very, very nice lady; I just hate her radio show! I'd like to dedicate "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" to helen, Surfingfarmboy, Palama Kid, pzarquon, Leo Lakio!

Category: The Dancingest Hemisphere of All!
                                What group of internationally touring college-aged singers and dancers has performed at four SuperBowl halftime shows?
                                Up! With! People! Yes, the peppy, positive, peerless Up With People has performed at four SuperBowls, in the days before women took their tops off in order to revitalize their careers. Dirty little secret: I kinda wanted to join Up with People. So hip-hip-hooray to helen, palama kid, surfingfarmboy, and pzarquon for getting that right!

Where were mel and localgrl? I know Moto's in Korea (he got yesterday's questions in from somewhere over there!), so he's excused!

Here are the current standings:
                                14: Surfingfarmboy
                                11.5: Palama Kid
                                9.5: pzarquon
                                8: Moto
                                7: helen
                                6: localgrl
                                5: mel
                                3: Leo Lakio
                                2: Erika Engle

GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X