Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii Threads Trivia Contest: Game 3

I know that first question's not really fair, and perhaps something of a vanity question, but I'm super-duper tired and thought the self-indulgence was fairly well-earned!

Sorry.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I know that first question's not really fair, and perhaps something of a vanity question, but I'm super-duper tired and thought the self-indulgence was fairly well-earned!

Sorry.
      Nuff already !!! No more hints, PUHLEEZE !!! And since you're doing all the hard work, no apologies accepted.

Now, you (and I) did it . . . helped everybody. <grumble, grumble, grumble>
      Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I think tonight would be a good night for me to take a little break from the game. Hopefully I'll be charged up and get the game back up Monday evening. Please check for new questions then. Thanks.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 12!
          Here are today's answers!

Category: Time Keeps on Slippin'
          Which two members of the current UH-Manoa Women's Volleyball team have renewed my interest in collegiate v-ball? It's not what you think, Ryan!
          Check out Jayme Lee and Rayna Kitaguchi, who not only graduated from my dear old alma mater, Hawaii Baptist Academy, but who were both students of mine when they were ninth-graders in 2001 and 2002. I still have some of their work. If this team wins a national title, I'm selling it on eBay! Just kidding. Surfingfarmboy, mel, Palama Kid, and Moto spiked that one in-bounds!

Category: I Wanna Be Famous, a Star of the Screen
          What are the make and model of this vehicle?

It's the Volkswagen Thing! I loved these things when I was a kid, and my interest in them has never waned -- there's just something about them! Vroom Vroom to craigwatanabe, south kona, surfingfarmboy, helen, erika engle, mel, palama kid, and moto for knowing that Thing. And, and...that other Thing!

Category: What's My Line?
          When the rabbit comes out of his hole, circles the tree, then jumps back into his hole, what have you created?
          Okay, there was one answer I really wanted to hear, and another answer I knew I'd have to take because some would insist, and there's this third answer I can't confirm. So if someone can, that would be great and I'll award the point belatedly. I wanted to hear that it was a Bowline, a very useful knot that creates a non-slipping loop at the end of a rope and which every Boy Scout should know! The trick to tying it correctly is not just in putting the rabbit through his paces in the correct order, but in knowing which parts of the rope to pull when you tighten the knot. Surfingfarmboy, helen, Palama Kid, and Leo Lakio correctly identified the knot, as did a non-playing HTer who emailed me the answer in private.

I've heard some people teach elementary schoolers the same mnemonic when teaching them to tie the bow in their shoelaces (I worked at elementary schools for five years). I don't think it's a good description for this knot, but it seems to work, and Erika Engle (as well as another non-playing HTer who told me in private) guessed that, so of course I have to take it! What, Erika? You weren't a Boy Scout?

The answer I wasn't expecting, but which I suspect may be okay because the person clearly knew it was about a knot (not something just anyone would have guessed based on the clue) was from craigwatanabe: A necktie knot. Can anyone confirm that this is something people use in learning to tie a necktie? Seems to me that for the standard knot, the rabbit first goes around the tree, then up the hole (which doesn't make sense), then down....something. So someone please help craig get this point!

Two great wrong answers: One Tired Rabbit (South Kona), and Huh????? (mel).

Here are the current standings!
          27: Surfingfarmboy
          22.5: Palama Kid
          17: Moto
          16: helen
          14: mel
          13.5: pzarquon
          10: Leo Lakio
          7: localgrl
          5: Erika Engle
          2: Cranberee
          1.5: jdub
          1: Madazza, Mike Lowery, craigwatanabe, SouthKona

New questions, next post!
          Last edited by scrivener; August 28, 2006, 10:34 PM.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 13!
            Here are today's questions!
            1. Category: Aaaaaaiaiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee!
              What "make and model" of ice cream is described on its container as "apple pie ice cream with apples and pie crust pieces?"

2. Category: Significant Pursuit
              In Trivial Pursuit, what category of question is asked of the player whose wheel lands in the center space before he or she has earned all his or her wedges?

3. Category: Tiny Bubbles
              During the 1995 school year, what state's SAT-takers had the highest average combined score? C'mon, just guess! You have a 2% chance of getting it right!

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 29! Good luck, and have fun!
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv...

I must say that your questions are very complex and make my brain feel like having a brain fut.

I'm sorry if this post is not within the guidelines of this game...however, I would like to give you props for stumping me...

Manoa

Comment

Oh my gosh. I just accidentally closed the tab on a VERY long answer post. I don't have it in me to recreate it right now, but it was (I think) super-interesting, so everyone just hold off on yesterday's answers until later. Tomorrow.

[edit: Whoa! It appears that I fell asleep at the keys before clicking "submit!" Sorry for the late questions, you mainland players!]

Instead, here are today's questions! I'll give two sets of answers Wednesday night! Sorry!

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 14!
                1. Category: Too Easily Googlable
                  What literary character's sons are named Bonfire and Satan?

2. Category: LOLlygag
                  What ridiculously viral catchphrase does this picture illustrate?

3. Category: Dear Old Golden-Rule Days
                  According to a popular high school mnemonic, what did King Philip do, and when did he do it?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 30! Good luck, and have fun!
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[oh my gosh...I just closed the tab on this post-in-progress for the second night in a row!]

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 13!
                  Here are yesterday's answers!

Category: Aaaaaaiaiiiiiiiyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee!
                  What "make and model" of ice cream is described on its container as "apple pie ice cream with apples and pie crust pieces?"
                  The answer I was looking for was Ben & Jerry's American (Apple) Pie. I've seen it with and without the "apple," but not without the "American." If you've got linkable verification for your different answer, please let me know and I'll correct the score. 'Til then, two scoops for Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy for coming up with that! By the way, if you find yourself near a Scoop Shop or a supermarket that carries the "limited edition" flavors, pick yourself up a pint or three. You'll thank me. Yummiest ice cream I've had in ages.

Category: Significant Pursuit
                  In Trivial Pursuit, what category of question is asked of the player whose wheel lands in the center space before he or she has earned all his or her wedges?
                  Moto, Leo Lakio, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy knew that when a player lands in the middle space (the "hub" of the wheel), the category is the player's choice. There only ONE game-situation where it's a good idea to travel across the wheel like that without a full wheel, and it's when you have to get to the other side from a wedge-space and you've rolled a six. Even then, it's only a good idea if the two spaces around the perimeter that can be reached with a roll of six are distasteful to the player. The idea in Trivial Pursuit is to keep your turn alive until you land on a wedge-space. Cutting across the middle seems like a shortcut, but it's only worthwhile if you roll a six to get to the middle, and then another six to get the rest of the way across; going around the long way, there are more chances to land on "roll again" spaces that continue your turn.

Category: Tiny Bubbles
                  During the 1995 school year, what state's SAT-takers had the highest average combined score? C'mon, just guess! You have a 2% chance of getting it right!
                  The top ten states are predominantly rural states where between 4% and 9% of eligible high-schoolers took the test, including Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and the state with the highest average, North Dakota (with 5% of its high-schoolers taking the test that year). Meanwhile, states with the highest percentage of test-taking high-schoolers are almost all New England states with what are considered progressive (read: higher salaries for teachers) approaches to education: New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut (which tops the list and, not coincidentally if you ask me, has the highest teachers' salaries in the nation). I have the exact numbers, but I'll cite my answer when I get home -- I'm at a Starbucks right now and am racing against the clock here.

I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones! Moto was on the right track with Iowa, but alas, Iowa only breaks the top five.

Here are the standings as of last night!
                  30: Surfingfarmboy
                  25.5: Palama Kid
                  18: Moto
                  16: helen
                  14: mel
                  12: Leo Lakio
                  2: Cranberee

Next post: Today's answers!

edited:
                  North Dakota's average combined score was 1107 in 1995. Connecticut's was 908, but where ND sent only 5% of its students to the testing centers, 81% of eligible high-schoolers in Connecticut took the test that year. I have been told that Hawaii's percentage is quite high, too, which is one reason our scores tend to be lower. Source: College Entrance Examination Board, by way of H. Aaron Cohl's The Book of Mosts, St. Martin's Press, 1997.
                  Last edited by scrivener; August 30, 2006, 10:35 PM.
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 14!
                    Here are today's answers!

Category: Too Easily Googlable
                    What literary character's sons are named Bonfire and Satan?
                    I read 'em all when I was a kid, and chances are you also read one or two of Walter Farley's The Black Stallion books. And if you haven't, please do. They are excellent. Black-Eyed Susans for Moto, Cranberee, Palama Kid, Surfingfarmboy, helen, and mel racing to the finish on that one!

Category: LOLlygag
                    What ridiculously viral catchphrase does this picture illustrate?

It's a ROFLcopter. Don't ask me; I just tell my students not to write it in their online assignments because it's stupid. Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got it.

Category: Dear Old Golden-Rule Days
                    According to a popular high school mnemonic, what did King Philip do, and when did he do it?
                    I forgot that there were variants of this thing, even though I've heard a bunch of them and even encouraged the use of a few. Yes, King Philip Came Over From Germany Saturday (there's the "when" for those of you who had no idea what I was talking about) is a mnemonic for remembering the classifications of living things from general to specific: Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. There are a zillion variants, but here are a few from Palama Kid:

King Phillip Came Over for Good Sex
                    King Philip Couldn't Order Five Good Sandwiches
                    King Philip Came Over for Grape Soda
                    King Philip Came Over For Good Spaghetti
                    King Philip came over for green spaghetti (or great sex)
                    King Philip could only find green socks
                    King Philip classifies ordered families as generally specious
                    King Phil classed ordinary families as generous and special
                    King Philip crossed over from Germany to Spain

Two others that exclude King Philip but were invented by clever classmates when I was in ninth grade:
                    Kevin put cocaine on fire, got stoned.
                    Kevin put candy on fire, got smoke.

So go to the head of the class, Moto, helen, Palama Kid, and Surfingfarmboy, for getting that one right.

Here are the current standings!
                    33: Surfingfarmboy
                    28.5: Palama Kid
                    20: Moto
                    18: helen
                    15: mel
                    12: Leo Lakio
                    3: Cranberee

New questions, next post!
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener...

I just want to give you accolades on this trivia contest.... I give up already!

Surfingfarmboy...you in cohoots? j/k

I'm out of this thread from here on out... you truly continue to stump me.......

(sorry if my first attempt to give you props for stumping me may have came off in the wrong way...but you still frying my brain with these questions!)

Comment

Hawaii Threads Trivia Game: Day 15!
                        1. Category: Portable Potables
                          As with all mixed drinks, this one's got many variants, but what do you ask for when you want a drink that's roughly four parts brandy, two parts triple sec, and one part lemon juice, shaken on ice and strained into a sugar-rimmed glass?

2. Category: Six Strings, Six Sides
                          What rock 'n roll guitarist's hollow-body instruments are easily identifiable by
                          a signature pair of dice glued to the soundboard?

3. Category: Say Uncle
                          What Big Island "uncle" has reasonably priced hotels on Hilo's Banyan Drive and on Kona's Ali'i Drive?

Please send your answers to me as PRIVATE MESSAGES by 9:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 31! Good luck, and have fun!
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones! Moto was on the right track with Iowa, but alas, Iowa only breaks the top five.
                          North Dakota...sounds like paradise!

The answer to the 1995 SAT question is embedded in this comprehensive list of North Dakota's good attributes, as item number one in the "Higher Education" section.

Note: I think this list is rather dated..most of the entries refer to events or conditions that occured in the mid-1990s; I don't see anything recent, though, North Dakota being North Dakota, would probably be a leader in most of the catagories noted with a list reflecting statistics from 2006.

Comment

I'd love to know how Palama Kid and Surfingfarmboy got the right answer, but they were the only ones!
                            1. Googled "SAT"

2. went to "collegeboard.com"; then

3. eventually, I found Table 3: Mean SAT Reasoning Test Verbal and Math Scores by State, with Changes for Selected Years

In 2005, 92% of New York's high school graduates took the SAT (for me, this is hard to believe); Hawaii had 61% participation; and California 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid
                              1. Googled "SAT"
                              2. went to "collegeboard.com"; then
                              3. eventually, I found Table 3: Mean SAT Reasoning Test Verbal and Math Scores by State, with Changes for Selected Years
                              I didn't make it to step 3...I shoulda guessed "Iowa," but since I was from there, I wasn't smart enough to know that it wasn't the right answer, either.

Besides, for some twisted reason, I took the ACT rather than the SAT - then went to a Community College, where none of it mattered anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                                I didn't make it to step 3...I shoulda guessed "Iowa," but since I was from there, I wasn't smart enough to know that it wasn't the right answer, either.

Besides, for some twisted reason, I took the ACT rather than the SAT - then went to a Community College, where none of it mattered anyway.
                                Truss me, I couldn't tell you HOW I got to that Table. I won't even try to find it now. Juss searched and searched and . . .

BTW I took a pre-SAT (ACT?) and never took the SAT. I can't remember why not.

I got into UH-Manoa without the SAT; after working a year, I recall taking / passing some sort of an "entrance" exam. I suppose you need the SAT now.

Comment

Working...
                                X