HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em 2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiThreads NFL Pick'em 2007

I would have missed the deadline, too, but I get an email from Yahoo! every week reminding me of when the deadlines are. Definitely helped this week.

Don't feel bad, you guys. Pz got his picks in and you're doing as well as him so far after three games!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I'm in fourth ... amazing ... I just make my picks and leave them now ... no analyzing ... and I'm doing much better. Maybe I should ask my three year old to choose between the logos or mascots.
      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by jkpescador View Post
        I'm in fourth ... amazing ... I just make my picks and leave them now ... no analyzing ... and I'm doing much better. Maybe I should ask my three year old to choose between the logos or mascots.
        It's worked for us all season long, until of course we forgot that the games started early this week...it still burns me!
        ___
        "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by InfinityProductions View Post
          It's worked for us all season long, until of course we forgot that the games started early this week...it still burns me!
          I feel sorta bad about that, except that it has been my experience in many years of playing pickem games that people ALWAYS drop themselves by forgetting to submit picks, making the game something of a marathon of dedication. The winners in these games are often simply the ones who remember to put in their picks.

So I don't feel too bad. This always happens!
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It should be helpful to note, then, that this week's deadline is Thursday, Nov. 29 at 3:10 p.m. (Yahoo! Standard Time?).

Last edited by pzarquon; November 27, 2007, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              It should be helpful to note, then, that this week's deadline is Thursday, Nov. 29 at 3:10 p.m. (Yahoo! Standard Time?).
              The deadlines are provided in whatever local time you tell Yahoo! is yours. If Yahoo! thinks you live in Hawaii, the 3:10 would mean 3:10 in Hawaii.
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Make your choices early. A drawback: while you can still make changes due to, say, a prominent Redskin safety's death, you'll be going against your initial pick.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Whew! I thought I missed the deadline AGAIN while it is today, it's not till 3ish.
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Congratulations to Palama Kid, who dominated this game pretty much from the beginning. I have a graphic but can't post it right now. PalamaKid's HomeAway team finished with an eleven-point lead over second-place me.

I was ten down heading into the final week. The only prayer I had of catching up was (a) for him to pick no more than six winners, and (b) for me to pick up ten more than him. Since his strategy all season has been to pick either all home teams or all away teams, my strategy (which, in retrospect, I should have employed three weeks ago) was to guess whether he would take home teams or visiting teams, then to pick the SAME teams (so that whatever he got right, I would also get right) and THEN to pick at least ten games he was most likely to get wrong. Once he was committed to all home teams, for instance, he was forced to pick teams he probably otherwise wouldn't have. I had to identify those teams and reverse the pick. Basically, I had to differ with him on at least ten games, and I had to be right.

It was a good plan, but I guessed wrong. Certain he was going to pick the away teams (with New England and San Diego among them), I picked all home teams (including Oakland and Atlanta) and then switched enough of them to give me a mathematical (if unlikely) shot. Sadly for me, he picked the visitors.

The result of this almost brainless system? Only my second two-digit week of the season! Of course, it was still one fewer than Palama Kid's 11. So even if I'd guessed correctly and Palama Kid had taken the away teams, I'd only have picked up five games on him, cutting his lead only in half. However, if he had picked all the away teams and I'd picked all the home teams, I'd have finished the season one point ahead of him!

I take back what I said about this being completely a chance thing if Palama Kid won the whole thing. I know there are people who make their livings betting on football, so brains have to play a part in this, somehow. I just don't think any of us had them, at least not this year!

Congratulations again, Palama Kid. I'll get you next year.
                    Last edited by scrivener; December 31, 2007, 02:11 PM.
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Congratulations PalamaKid! After forgetting one week two, three too many I just sort of took the panic off of my plate. Next year, hopefully I will not move in the middle of the season, and be in a routine. Actually, what really threw me off was the Thursday deadline, I have to remember next year. It doesn't help that the email account was set-up only to access NFL, and other services, but I don't check it daily.

Ah...no more of my excuses! It was fun, and congratulations!
                      ___
                      "Be god to each other."

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                        It was a good plan, but I guessed wrong. Certain he was going to pick the away teams (with New England and San Diego among them), I picked all home teams (including Oakland and Atlanta) and then switched enough of them to give me a mathematical (if unlikely) shot. Sadly for me, he picked the visitors.
                        Scriv, you made a supreme effort to catch me by working against my system. In an earlier post, I made mention of an anti-Palama Kid methodology, didn't I? My PM egging you on also played a part in concocting your plan, I'm sure. BTW I picked the home teams this week - note error in your last sentence above.

You realize that with my score of 140 out of 256 games, I guessed right less than 55% of the time. Although eminently beatable, it didn't happen in this Pick'em. In fact, you and I were the only ones to beat 50%. What's that say about our fellow gamblers? Or what does that say about gambling, period? A losing proposition, maybe?

Now that my system has been outed (and worked well enough this year), it'll be no fun to use it next year. I may go back to worrying over injuries, suspensions, odds changes, weather, momentum, etc. to make my picks. Naaah, I gotta find sumpin easy. Maybe a modified version of your plan would do.

FYI I used the home teams ten weeks; away teams seven weeks. I guessed wrong five times.
                        Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Working...
                        X