No announcement yet.

HawaiiDemocrats.com - Need some help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HawaiiDemocrats.com - Need some help...

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Stay away from us idiots... we do tend to test people

That comment put a on my face. I needed a good laugh
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
      That comment put a on my face. I needed a good laugh
      you think i was joking?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        you think i was joking?
        Umm no, thats why it is so funny :
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

My PM inbox wouldn't be so full if Manoa would just leave me alone!

And Fran, before you go over-apologizing and backtracking in embarassment, I should confess that there was indeed a bit of sarcasm in my response. It certainly wasn't meant as any kind of mean-spirited attack, and I would most definitely hope that we could always spar on ideas without taking personal affront, but basically I was responding to the remark about "reporting" the site to someone at DPH HQ.

On one hand, I suppose it was nice of you to let our dear nameless HawaiiDemocrats.com poster know that they knew. Though I'd hope they knew the moment the .com actually started resolving, since I'll bet they've had to tell folks "it's dot org!" since the day their site went live. But it was pretty hard not to construe it (or enjoy imagining it) as some kind of ominous warning!

You can definitely say it could be misleading or feels sketchy or that you think there's some potential legal issues, just as I can say I disagree. As for any additional color, snark, or frivolity included in otherwise well-articulated, logical responses... that's why we are all here, aren't we?

This isn't the first time I've caused some consternation, and last time, IIRC, it was also related to politics. That you feel a personal stake in Democratic party issues and activities adds some context. So I certainly apologize if you thought I crossed a line somewhere. Where's a smiley when you need one?

Religion and politics. They'll get you in trouble every time.

Anyway. As to the site...

I personally feel HawaiiDemocrats.com has gone above and beyond in disavowing any link to the "official" party (to the point that their disclaimers are distracting!), and the link to their site is a courtesy I'd expect lesser webmasters would just leave out. I'm fairly confident in concluding that there is absolutely nothing here that would qualify as "cybersquatting."

On the other hand, thanks to our state's murky laws and an overabundance of laywers, anything goes. Even if there was no case, I'm certain anyone could have any domain wrestled away from them by sheer force of litigation, or even just the threat of it. (Someday I'll tell the sad tale of Kalaeloa.com.) Heck, Hawaii politics has already provided the best local example in the whole Beverly Harbin domain debacle. Who's right isn't even relevant, when most folks will fold like a deck of cards the moment a Cease & Desist letter shows up. If someone wanted to sue, I'd bet they'd be successful. But most reasonable folks would deem it not worth their time.

It is a useful, clearly presented site, and if there are indeed a variety of voices represented, and if other parties are added equally subject to scrutiny (and mocking), it could be a great destination for local political wonks. I still maintain that the silly aliases hurt its credibility quite a bit, though. It could all be the handiwork of one overpaid but creative campaign worker with too much time on his hands!

Comment

In defense of PZarquons mailbox comment.... I may have sent him 2 messages in the last week!
            Originally posted by pzarquon
            (Someday I'll tell the sad tale of Kalaeloa.com.)
            what's up with the tease pz... I could have sworn you were selling that sight just a while ago?
            http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=9187

No tease... give us all the juicy ones on this... I get your back... I sure the heck thought it was a city before a band!

Comment

Sorry guys... I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus (or does this kind of thing happen on HT all the time? ). In either case, this process was extremely helpful and, not to mention, a little entertaining.

As we speak, I'm working on ways to work in (or out) some of your suggestions to improve the site so that it appeals to a broader audience.

As for the legal ramifications, hopefully no one will come after me as my intentions were not to deceive, but rather to educate as it seems there are a lot of voters out there that ARE like I WAS. Uneducated and uniformed.

And to address the issue of the anonymous posters, well, I can only give you my word that they're not all the same person. My thinking was that maybe they'd be more apt to post their true thoughts if their identities were concealed. Backlash can be a B!+©h sometimes...

This is an honest question meant with no sarcasm... the people that I have contributing are not community leaders or anyone with a recognizable name, so do you think it would make a notable difference if their names were shown? My thought was that if no one knew who they were anyway, it wouldn't make much of a difference. What do you think? I'd like to hear your perspective.

Comment

Mr. Hawaiidemocrat...

I still don't understand why you are posting here of all places...

can you please show me somewhere else where you have posted your website...

Mahalo...

Manoa?

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiDemocrats.com
                  Sorry guys... I didn't mean to cause such a ruckus (or does this kind of thing happen on HT all the time? ). In either case, this process was extremely helpful and, not to mention, a little entertaining.
                  Yes, this kind of thing goes on here ALL the time! I'm glad you were "entertained". We all go round & round with each other - some more than others The only way I can see (just personal opinion here) to improve your site would be to have it include both parties now, instead of waiting for the primary to be over - even if we Dems do have the more "interesting" races. The other guys just don't seem to have as many candidates as the Dems - why that is I haven't a clue! and if you have posters that want to remain anonymous, well - that's certainly their privilege. Not everyone is like me or some others on HT who are willing to put their foot in their mouth. Keep up the good work! It's important to educate oneself in order to make good decisions. However, always keep in mind - don't let anyone else make your decision for you!
                  "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    And Fran, before you go over-apologizing and backtracking in embarassment, I should confess that there was indeed a bit of sarcasm in my response. It certainly wasn't meant as any kind of mean-spirited attack, and I would most definitely hope that we could always spar on ideas without taking personal affront, but basically I was responding to the remark about "reporting" the site to someone at DPH HQ.

On one hand, I suppose it was nice of you to let our dear nameless HawaiiDemocrats.com poster know that they knew. Though I'd hope they knew the moment the .com actually started resolving, since I'll bet they've had to tell folks "it's dot org!" since the day their site went live. But it was pretty hard not to construe it (or enjoy imagining it) as some kind of ominous warning!

You can definitely say it could be misleading or feels sketchy or that you think there's some potential legal issues, just as I can say I disagree. As for any additional color, snark, or frivolity included in otherwise well-articulated, logical responses... that's why we are all here, aren't we?

This isn't the first time I've caused some consternation, and last time, IIRC, it was also related to politics. That you feel a personal stake in Democratic party issues and activities adds some context. So I certainly apologize if you thought I crossed a line somewhere. Where's a smiley when you need one?
                    No problem PZ - knowing you, I should have understood from first read your intent. and yes - keep sparring with me, it makes me think about my positions. Thanks for your response
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Manoa,

Is there a reason why you ask?... Was this the wrong place?

Actually, I'm not sure why I chose HT, but it was one of the few forums that came up when entering the search terms I wanted my site to come up on.

You know, I really haven't posted it anywhere else, though I plan to throw in a few comments on the Honolulu Advertiser forum at some point. The thing is, this forum seemed a lot more friendly... The HA posts are so politically charged, I didn't want to get thrown out on my a$$.

Also I'm trying to test out different ways of marketing the site to see what's the most effective. Everything thus far has been non-conventional... no press releases or anything.

Looking back... it appears HT was a good choice. Everyone was really helpful and I got some good suggestions.

---

Anapuni, I appreciate the comments. I plan to add the Republican candudates when I can find the time (and energy) to dig up the info. All the Democratic candidates drained me... there were so many.

---

On another note, anyone else catch the televised debate/forum (House Race)?... it was pretty good - well, much better than the Senate forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X