Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waikiki Ho'olaule'a: Na Palapalai

Originally posted by Pomai
    By far, my favorite performers of the night goes to Na Palapalai, who closed the night for us in front of Outrigger Waikiki (where Duke's is). They've brought traditional Hawaiian music back with absolutely splendid beauty.
    They are amazing - the blend of their voices just blows everyone away, so perfectly matched. They opened for the Cazimeros here in Seattle a while back. It would be a joy to have them back as headliners someday.

Comment

Re: Waikiki Ho'olaule'a

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
      Raising a child takes responsibility. One of these responsibilities is keeping your child out of harms way.... NO MATTER what.

If you can't find a babysitter for your child because you want to go party you should stay home and party with your child.

The Block Party happens once a year...annually... You can go anytime after your child is a little older...

It just sucked to see so many parents frustrated at the crowd...when they should have known.
      I don't really consider strolling your kid around a block party to be "partying." I think it's a family-friendly event. But then again, everybody has their own definition of partying--mine happens to be vastly different than yours, I suppose.

I don't think the kids are in harm's way if they are in a stroller. Quite frankly, I think those of use without a stroller are more in harm's way when the stroller runs over our foot. Unless pedestrians are drunk and falling into the stroller and squashing your child, I don't consider walking around a crowded place with a stroller to be putting your child in harm's way. In fact, I think people with tiny dogs on leashes are putting their dogs in more harm's way than a child in a stroller. How many people are going to see a tiny dog at their feet, as opposed to a kid in a rather large wheeled contraption?

I am quite sure you can be a responsible parent and still go to the Waikiki block party--you just have to be patient and have a good sense of humor about the whole thing and realize that it might take a while to get anywhere. If you are the type to get frustrated easily, then yes, maybe you should reconsider whether going to the block party is a wise idea.

Otherwise, as a non-stroller pedestrian, I respect everybody's right to sidewalk space at a rated G-type event--including parents with kids in strollers.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        The Block Party happens once a year...annually... You can go anytime after your child is a little older...

It just sucked to see so many parents frustrated at the crowd...when they should have known.
        These two keiki were certainly old enough to enjoy the song and a dance or two together...

Everyone had more fun watching them dance then the performers on stage! Absolutely adorable.

They were dancing to the music of Dita Holifield and Red Handed with Ellsworth Simeona on Guitar...

I didn't even recognize Ellsworth with his hair short. He's such an awesome musician.

Also inspired by a group of country line dancers...

This was at the City & County of Honolulu/KHUI stage 1.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Of course Aloha is only complete when you have Tutu at da' Lei stand!...

Manoa, I had to think of you when I saw this vendor!...

I should've bought a box and taken it to Duke's to combine with their Beachside Burger. lol

This is the executive chef of a new restaurant called MAC 24 7, opening in November at the Radisson Waikiki Prince Kuhio hotel...

I would say their food is trendy California/Hawaii Regional fusion cuisine.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I saw the doughnuts.... had big line up...at the time I was there...

and as far as I could tell they were only selling them by the dozen...

I definately don't need a dozen!

Comment

Thanks, Pomai, for the photos and stories! It's good to experience an event through someone with a true appreciation for it and the atmosphere.

The family and I go almost every year, and had a good excuse this year, too, since my in-laws are in town and staying at the Hale Koa. But I was feeling ill yesterday and ended up sleeping all day today. Boo.

Good thing we didn't attend, though, lest we get judged for having the nerve to bring kids to a family-friendly event!

Comment

The Downtown Ho`olaulea will be this coming friday, 09/15. Since they will have a stage right in front of our building and probably some of our restaurants will be open late, I'm going to suggest to my boss that we have a little pau hana in the office and then we all go to the event. That will help pass the time a little quicker while waiting for it to start - we like to hang out together anyway so it will be fun. Haven't been to this event in many years. But this year, the kiddie stuff will be down at Aloha Tower end of Bishop St. and main music stages further up the street YEA! I hope to run into many of you there!
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Wrong! Your not running into me cause I'll be right next to you!

Yeeehaaaa!

Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ok... let me try and rephrase what I mean...

If you are going to bring children down there to a Block Party... I don't have a problem with that so much...Just know what your getting yourself into and enjoy yourself...don't be the grumpy parent that is screaming at everyone to get out of your way!

I have a problem with the two ladies that were trying to make everyone clear a path so that they could cut through everyone dancing and grooving to the music...and then being irked by people that were more into the music then worrying about Being Bumped By Baby Buggies Being Bumrushed By B@tches!

They knew that they were going to be plenty people down there... yet they were very rude to some people that were enjoying themselves at the time.

and PZ your kids are much older then the baby buggy age... so I wouldn't have had a problem... there was actually a kids area there that would have been perfect for anyone with kids from 3-12 etc... however, younger children such as the age of my child right now... I just don't think they need to be exposed to some of the possible accidents that could happen at an event like this.... just too many people not even looking where there going is just not a good place for anyone sometimes.... I guess...

Whatever... I guess I've never been a person comfortable with big crowds any ways....

Funny you mentioned the dog thing... One time at a breakfast on the beach down there... a lady was walking her dog....and some japanese tourist were eating there food sitting by the Duke Statue.... the lady with the dog wasn't paying attention and neither were the tourist.... next thing you know...the dog took a dive into the tourists food...... Had to have been the funniest thing I ever saw...and the lack of communication between the dog owner and the japanese tourist was so hillarious.... I wish I would have had that youtubed!
                    Last edited by damontucker; September 9, 2006, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Here's the very HOT looking, moving and sounding ladies of Soul Cafe' at Stage 5 in front of the Hyatt...

These gals got some PIPES. Move over Beyonce.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

NOW I know why no one was looking at the ground for youngsters... the eyes were all on the stage....

How I miss this one?

Gee Pomai... I like go with you next year...then we split a box of the doughnuts!
                        Last edited by damontucker; September 10, 2006, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I can't believe I missed it, I had a hotel room & everything....it was so funny, just hangin' out with the my Beeg Sole & kinda missed the whole thing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            Whoa - who was in charge of logistics?
                            Nothing new there, Greg. They double-book lots of bands every year. Just gotta hustle from one stage to the next.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Tonight is the Aloha Festivals 55th Annual Waikiki Ho'olaule'a-O`ahu
                              7:00pm-10:30pm
                              Kalakaua Avenue
                              http://www.alohafestivals.com/v3/pag...=oahu&docid=21

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X